Re: Overclocking the 1802?

  • ajparent1
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2013
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

      > So how fast can you overclock an 1802 without frying it? What's the fastest, in Mhz, that you have managed for continuous operation?

      There are limits to that.

      First is what the 1802 can or will do. The second is what is the limit for the memory. The latter is a result of the faster the cpu runs the faster the memory has to be to keep up. Third is that the IO and peripheral (on the 1802 die) IO is slow and at some point it's
      lagging what going on inside and makes predicting what the timing
      will be difficult. I'd also expect newer date code parts _might_
      have an edge on overclocking.

      With that said I have one running at 4mhz at 5V using modern ram and Eprom that are in the 250ns speed range. The only pushing mildly as the part is rated to 3.2mhz at 5V. Never tried to go faster,
      maybe one day I'll do that as I have some really fast ram and eprom parts to try that with.

      Allison