Re: [cosmacelf] I Found an "Elf II" at a Thift Store Yesterday

  • garydidio
    Message 1 of 28 , May 18, 2013
      You're kidding, right?
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: agactual2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Sender: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 17:34:01 -0000
      To: <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [cosmacelf] I Found an "Elf II" at a Thift Store Yesterday

      I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.

      For $10 I got this

      http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6

      I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.

      So, can you tell me more?

    • agactual2
      Message 2 of 28 , May 18, 2013
        No.....what do you mean?

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@... wrote:

        > You're kidding, right?
        > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      • garydidio
        Message 3 of 28 , May 18, 2013
          You will get much better responses from others, but it is an unbelievable find depending on it's shape. There is quite a bit of useful information in this group and on the Yahoo site.
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: agactual2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
          Sender: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 20:21:46 -0000
          To: <cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: I Found an "Elf II" at a Thift Store Yesterday

          No.....what do you mean?

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@... wrote:

          > You're kidding, right?
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        • agactual2
          Message 4 of 28 , May 18, 2013
            I wish I could assess the condition of it. Nothing seems to be overtly broken and the external components seem to be in good shape. However, it also looks like it hasn't been turned on in years and years.

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@... wrote:

            > You will get much better responses from others, but it is an unbelievable find depending on it's shape. There is quite a bit of useful information in this group and on the Yahoo site.
            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          • Rick Cortese
            Message 5 of 28 , May 18, 2013
              Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?

              > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
              >
              > For $10 I got this
              >
              > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
              >

              > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
              >
              > So, can you tell me more?

            • jdrose_8_bit
              Message 6 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                Seriously?

                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                >
                > For $10 I got this
                >
                > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                >

                > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                >
                > So, can you tell me more?

              • Andrew Wasson
                Message 7 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                  Yeah, that is very desirable for a niche group who know what it is. Nice score!

                  That's a computer system from about 33 years ago. It looks like you have 8K ram a video board I/O and ASCII keyboard. I used one like that when I was in grade 10/11 to hook up to a BBS and chat with other nerds of my age group. I personally had the same computer but a much less expanded version with 4k ram and my own I/O card.

                  I hit the thrift store every now and again to see if I happen upon something like that but I've never seen anything like that.

                  Andrew

                  Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?

                  > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                  >
                  > For $10 I got this
                  >
                  > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                  >

                  > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                  >
                  > So, can you tell me more?

                • Paul Backhouse
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 18, 2013

                    Yep.   That’s a classic ELFII alright, with the full ASCii keyboard option, housed in Netronics metal “big blue” cases.    What a fantastic vintage buy!   The expansion bus under the perspex plinth looks to be populated from left to right with (slot 1) a “Giant” interface board which amongst other things provides RS232 connection to a PC running a TE;  at (slot 3) the Full Basic and RPN Arithmetic board complete with the 3 ROMs and at (4)+(5) two 4K RAM cards although at first glance these don’t look identical.    There are a couple of non-standard mods visible straight away, such as a toggle switch on the giant board and the push button to upper left of the ASCii keyboard.    Assuming there wasn’t also a power supply, to power this up and test you will need a DC +8v 0 -8v supply, depending on how the motherboard inputs are wired.    IIRC the 3 power input terminals (pcb trace holes) have their voltages marked on the ELFII motherboard but you will probably need to take off the case to gain access to these.

                    Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?

                    > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                    >
                    > For $10 I got this
                    >
                    > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                    >

                    > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                    >
                    > So, can you tell me more?

                  • Andrew Wasson
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                      You have to be careful powering up something like this because the capacitors (electrolytic caps) tend to degrade and can smoke. I did in a couple of caps on my Super Elf the other day. It's usually ok and they just need to be replaced but you should be familiar with electronics or have someone who is to help out if you're going to power it up.

                      Andrew

                      On 2013-05-18, at 1:50 PM, agactual2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      I wish I could assess the condition of it. Nothing seems to be overtly broken and the external components seem to be in good shape. However, it also looks like it hasn't been turned on in years and years.

                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@... wrote:

                      > You will get much better responses from others, but it is an unbelievable find depending on it's shape. There is quite a bit of useful information in this group and on the Yahoo site.
                      > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    • jdrose_8_bit
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                        Yeah, the best thing I ever found was a SNES console for $20 at a mom & pop thrift store.

                        Forget Goodwill. Everything they have of value goes straight to eBay. Can't blame 'em.

                        To find an 1802 anything at a thrift store amazes me. But an Elf II with extra cards and a keyboard is like finding a winning lotto ticket. Wow!

                        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wasson <awasson@...> wrote:

                        > Yeah, that is very desirable for a niche group who know what it is. Nice score!
                        >
                        > That's a computer system from about 33 years ago. It looks like you have 8K ram a video board I/O and ASCII keyboard. I used one like that when I was in grade 10/11 to hook up to a BBS and chat with other nerds of my age group. I personally had the same computer but a much less expanded version with 4k ram and my own I/O card.
                        >
                        > I hit the thrift store every now and again to see if I happen upon something like that but I've never seen anything like that.
                        >
                        > Andrew
                        >

                        > On 2013-05-18, at 1:55 PM, Rick Cortese <ricortes@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?

                      • Paul Backhouse
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 18, 2013

                          Probably getting ahead of ourselves, but you’ve been lucky so far…..  ;-)   if you (1) find a suitable +8v 0v -8v power supply and (2) the hex digits on the ELFII unit light up, and (3) you have a TV attached to the video RF modulator, then enter 00 00 03 each followed by [INP] from the hex pad (the display should echo each input) and then hit <Return> on the ASCii keyboard once and once only.    If your luck holds you should see the screen width? message that precedes Basic startup.

                          Yep.   That’s a classic ELFII alright, with the full ASCii keyboard option, housed in Netronics metal “big blue” cases.    What a fantastic vintage buy!   The expansion bus under the perspex plinth looks to be populated from left to right with (slot 1) a “Giant” interface board which amongst other things provides RS232 connection to a PC running a TE;  at (slot 3) the Full Basic and RPN Arithmetic board complete with the 3 ROMs and at (4)+(5) two 4K RAM cards although at first glance these don’t look identical.    There are a couple of non-standard mods visible straight away, such as a toggle switch on the giant board and the push button to upper left of the ASCii keyboard.    Assuming there wasn’t also a power supply, to power this up and test you will need a DC +8v 0 -8v supply, depending on how the motherboard inputs are wired.    IIRC the 3 power input terminals (pcb trace holes) have their voltages marked on the ELFII motherboard but you will probably need to take off the case to gain access to these.

                          Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?

                          > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                          >
                          > For $10 I got this
                          >
                          > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                          >

                          > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                          >
                          > So, can you tell me more?

                        • Paul Backhouse
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 18, 2013

                            Sorry…   prolly obvious but I should also have mentioned you switch RUN on before entering 00 00 03

                            Probably getting ahead of ourselves, but you’ve been lucky so far…..  ;-)   if you (1) find a suitable +8v 0v -8v power supply and (2) the hex digits on the ELFII unit light up, and (3) you have a TV attached to the video RF modulator, then enter 00 00 03 each followed by [INP] from the hex pad (the display should echo each input) and then hit <Return> on the ASCii keyboard once and once only.    If your luck holds you should see the screen width? message that precedes Basic startup.

                            Yep.   That’s a classic ELFII alright, with the full ASCii keyboard option, housed in Netronics metal “big blue” cases.    What a fantastic vintage buy!   The expansion bus under the perspex plinth looks to be populated from left to right with (slot 1) a “Giant” interface board which amongst other things provides RS232 connection to a PC running a TE;  at (slot 3) the Full Basic and RPN Arithmetic board complete with the 3 ROMs and at (4)+(5) two 4K RAM cards although at first glance these don’t look identical.    There are a couple of non-standard mods visible straight away, such as a toggle switch on the giant board and the push button to upper left of the ASCii keyboard.    Assuming there wasn’t also a power supply, to power this up and test you will need a DC +8v 0 -8v supply, depending on how the motherboard inputs are wired.    IIRC the 3 power input terminals (pcb trace holes) have their voltages marked on the ELFII motherboard but you will probably need to take off the case to gain access to these.

                            Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?

                            > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                            >
                            > For $10 I got this
                            >
                            > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                            >

                            > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                            >
                            > So, can you tell me more?

                          • Glen Roger
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                              Very cool.  If it works... very, very cool!

                              --
                              Glen Roger, IP 38-190, Blue Pearl, Vancouver
                              Home in Abbotsford
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                I will upload more pictures in a little. At this point I have no clue if it is in any kind of working condition.

                                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Rick Cortese <ricortes@...> wrote:

                                > Very desirable and in pristine shape. Market has dropped some with economy, I would guess it would sell on fleaBay for 50x what you paid for it. Various computer museums would love to have it if you want to go that route. If it works, price could go up. Prominence is important too. Did you get any paper work with it?
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Ray Sills
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                  Even if it doesn't work at the moment, it's still -very- cool!!! And
                                  worth a lot more than $10. An amazing find, and certainly a dramatic
                                  rescue. It likely can be restored, and probably without too much
                                  expense.

                                  73 de Ray

                                  On May 18, 2013, at 5:43 PM, Glen Roger wrote:

                                  > Very cool. If it works... very, very cool!
                                  >

                                  > On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM, agactual2
                                  > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something
                                  > interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but
                                  > this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search
                                  > on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some
                                  > kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these
                                  > 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man
                                  > there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing
                                  > back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                  >
                                  > For $10 I got this
                                  >
                                  > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                  >
                                  > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they
                                  > could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from
                                  > the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I
                                  > have here.
                                  >
                                  > So, can you tell me more?
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > Glen Roger, IP 38-190, Blue Pearl, Vancouver
                                  > Home in Abbotsford
                                  > thebluepearl.ca

                                • Aaron Bond
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                    I sold mine (regret it now) a few years ago for $1200 on ebay.

                                    ---Aaron

                                    On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

                                    Even if it doesn't work at the moment, it's still -very- cool!!! And
                                    worth a lot more than $10. An amazing find, and certainly a dramatic
                                    rescue. It likely can be restored, and probably without too much
                                    expense.

                                    73 de Ray

                                    On May 18, 2013, at 5:43 PM, Glen Roger wrote:

                                    > Very cool. If it works... very, very cool!
                                    >

                                    > On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM, agactual2
                                    > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something
                                    > interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but
                                    > this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search
                                    > on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some
                                    > kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these
                                    > 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man
                                    > there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing
                                    > back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                    >
                                    > For $10 I got this
                                    >
                                    > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                    >
                                    > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they
                                    > could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from
                                    > the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I
                                    > have here.
                                    >
                                    > So, can you tell me more?
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > Glen Roger, IP 38-190, Blue Pearl, Vancouver
                                    > Home in Abbotsford
                                    > thebluepearl.ca

                                  • agactual2
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                      As promised, more pics. Everything in the pics is what I got. I don't see any
                                      way to plug the thing in and it looks like the motherboard(?) is collapsed down
                                      for some reason. If anyone wants to see additional pictures, let me know what
                                      you want to see specifically and I will do my best to get a shot of it.

                                      http://imgur.com/a/9Wut4

                                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                      > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                      >
                                      > For $10 I got this
                                      >
                                      > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                      >

                                      > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                      >
                                      > So, can you tell me more?

                                    • jdrose_8_bit
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                        Yeah, it has been squashed a bit.

                                        Would love to get that thing working again. If you decide to get rid of it please let me know.

                                        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                        > As promised, more pics. Everything in the pics is what I got. I don't see any
                                        > way to plug the thing in and it looks like the motherboard(?) is collapsed down
                                        > for some reason. If anyone wants to see additional pictures, let me know what
                                        > you want to see specifically and I will do my best to get a shot of it.
                                        >
                                        > http://imgur.com/a/9Wut4

                                      • Josh Bensadon
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                          That is the kind of find that anyone on this board dreams about!

                                          It's easily worth $800, if you ever want to sell it, let me know :)

                                          If you want to get it running, then you've come to the right place.

                                          :)J

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                            It is really tough to tell what I should do with it. The best option does seem to be to sell it, since honestly I am not into stuff like this. But of course it is hard to tell if anything is missing, what it is worth, where to sell it, and how to ship it without it getting destroyed.

                                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                            > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                            >
                                            > For $10 I got this
                                            >
                                            > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                            >

                                            > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                            >
                                            > So, can you tell me more?

                                          • Andrew Wasson
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 18, 2013
                                              If you're not into stuff like this I think you'll get your best return by selling it on EBay.

                                              Advertise it as is, untested with as many detailed photos as possible.

                                              Do not give it a high opening bid, the best auctions start out really low (like $99) and end up many times that. You have a Netronics ELF II. There are very few still around and enthusiasts know this and will bid accordingly. You'll probably get a few bidders asking for a buy now price or asking you to close the auction early. Don't do it. I've never seen an ELF II close without astronomic bidding, they are probably the holy grail of the 1802 Cosmac ELF lineup. I think you will do quite well.

                                              Good luck!

                                              Andrew

                                              On 2013-05-18, at 9:41 PM, agactual2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                              It is really tough to tell what I should do with it. The best option does seem to be to sell it, since honestly I am not into stuff like this. But of course it is hard to tell if anything is missing, what it is worth, where to sell it, and how to ship it without it getting destroyed.

                                              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                              > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                              >
                                              > For $10 I got this
                                              >
                                              > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                              >

                                              > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                              >
                                              > So, can you tell me more?

                                            • Paul Backhouse
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 19, 2013

                                                That’s sound advice from Andrew.    I think you may find there is worldwide interest.   It may be worth weighing the item and getting an estimated cost for air freight to Europe for example.   Even if cost of carriage is relatively high, you can give this estimate as part of the auction - I do not think specialist bidders will be put off for an item of this rarity.

                                                FWIW…

                                                a few more thoughts on your additional photos –

                                                *Looking from the back, the ASCii keyboard seems to have the additional 64-character-wide “Fastvid” board installed – another bonus

                                                *The motherboard may just need reseating onto its mounting posts by tightening the retaining bolts finger tight on their threads making sure that are not in contact with any PCB traces.

                                                *The wiring connectors at the back are non-standard additions – one looks to be a connector for the ASCii keyboard.

                                                You have an untested “Netronics R&D ELFII” complete with

                                                Original metal cases

                                                ASCii keyboard

                                                “Giant” Board

                                                Full Basic/Arithmetic Board

                                                2 x 4K RAM Board.

                                                Note that the ASCii keyboard is not essential to getting the ELFII up and running.

                                                On 2013-05-18, at 9:41 PM, agactual2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                It is really tough to tell what I should do with it. The best option does seem to be to sell it, since honestly I am not into stuff like this. But of course it is hard to tell if anything is missing, what it is worth, where to sell it, and how to ship it without it getting destroyed.

                                                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                                >
                                                > For $10 I got this
                                                >
                                                > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                                >

                                                > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                                >
                                                > So, can you tell me more?

                                              • Ray Sills
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 19, 2013
                                                  Good advice regarding Ebay... you will make a handsome profit.
                                                  Regarding shipping, you could take it to a UPS store, and have them
                                                  package it and ship it. They can also arrange for international
                                                  shipping. And don't forget to add insurance coverage for what the
                                                  winning bid. Serious bidders will not flinch at the shipping costs.

                                                  73 de Ray

                                                  On May 19, 2013, at 12:41 AM, agactual2 wrote:

                                                  > It is really tough to tell what I should do with it. The best option
                                                  > does seem to be to sell it, since honestly I am not into stuff like
                                                  > this. But of course it is hard to tell if anything is missing, what
                                                  > it is worth, where to sell it, and how to ship it without it getting
                                                  > destroyed.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:
                                                  >>
                                                  >> I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something
                                                  >> interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but
                                                  >> this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick
                                                  >> search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in
                                                  >> fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know
                                                  >> often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was
                                                  >> also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put
                                                  >> the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> For $10 I got this
                                                  >>
                                                  >> http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                                  >>

                                                  >> I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they
                                                  >> could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from
                                                  >> the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I
                                                  >> have here.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> So, can you tell me more?
                                                  >>

                                                  > ------------------------------------

                                                  > Questions? Check the FAQ at http://www.cosmacelf.com/forumfaq.html
                                                  > Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.comYahoo!
                                                  > Groups Links

                                                • agactual2
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 19, 2013
                                                    Thanks for the advice everyone. I greatly appreciate it. This has honestly become a bit overwhelming that I had realized. I had no idea that this was such a complicated, coveted item. I think I would be completely clueless I tried to go at this alone.

                                                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                    > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                                    >
                                                    > For $10 I got this
                                                    >
                                                    > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                                    >

                                                    > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                                    >
                                                    > So, can you tell me more?

                                                  • Richard
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 21, 2013
                                                      Congratulations. It is a great find and I hope it works. If not - give it a try to repair it. I have the same computer standing here. It was my first computer and survived 35 years and still works. And I would not sell it, no matter how much someone would pay.

                                                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                      > Thanks for the advice everyone. I greatly appreciate it. This has honestly become a bit overwhelming that I had realized. I had no idea that this was such a complicated, coveted item. I think I would be completely clueless I tried to go at this alone.
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > For $10 I got this
                                                      > >
                                                      > > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                                      > >

                                                      > > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > So, can you tell me more?

                                                    • Andrew Wasson
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 22, 2013
                                                        I had one more thought about listing this on Ebay and that is to make sure that you have the term "COSMAC" in the title of your auction as it is a well connected term with the type of system you have and I'm sure will pique the interest of collectors and enthusiasts.

                                                        Taking Paul's advice below, I would title the auction: Netronics R&D "COSMAC" ELFII

                                                        Then I'd put in the description that Paul suggested below.

                                                        Cheers,
                                                        Andrew

                                                        On 2013-05-18, at 9:41 PM, agactual2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                        It is really tough to tell what I should do with it. The best option does seem to be to sell it, since honestly I am not into stuff like this. But of course it is hard to tell if anything is missing, what it is worth, where to sell it, and how to ship it without it getting destroyed.

                                                        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, agactual2 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                        > I was at a thrift store last night and I stumbled upon something interesting. I am usually on the look out for old electronics but this is something that is way out of my league. I did a quick search on my phone and all I could really find is that it was in fact some kind of computer and that it was from the 1970's.I know often these 1970's computers are rare and valuable (and there was also a man there that seemed ready to swoop in an buy it if I put the thing back), so I decided to take the risk and buy it.
                                                        >
                                                        > For $10 I got this
                                                        >
                                                        > http://imgur.com/a/ZEQD6
                                                        >

                                                        > I went over to reddit and asked about what it is. The best they could do was tell me that it was some kind of hobby computer from the late 1970's and that you fine folks might know exactly what I have here.
                                                        >
                                                        > So, can you tell me more?

                                                        <image001.jpg><image002.jpg>

                                                      • Paul Backhouse
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 22, 2013

                                                          Good suggestion from Andrew.   I have a standing eBay search for “COSMAC” to flag new listings.

                                                          The extent of any other advice really depends on whether you are a seasoned “eBayer”.    Definitely include the words  “RCA 1802” in any sub-title and in the item description.   Possibly consider whether you want to put a reserve on the auction price, or just let the item find its own level from a relatively low “come-and-bid-for-me” starting price.    I’d do the latter and I think that is what Andrew has already suggested.  Reserves reduce the risk of the item not taking off, but can put some bidders off when they don’t know the hidden threshold.