Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Huge document set of 1802 info

  • Doug Jackson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8 5:51 PM
      Thanks Josh,

      Everything we do is all to easily forgotten - forever.

      Doug

      On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Andrew Wasson <awasson@...> wrote:

      Nice way of putting it Josh. I've been trying to find the words to convey the same message.

      I think that kind of sums it up from my point of view too.

      Andrew

      On 2013-05-08, at 5:35 PM, "joshbensadon" <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

      This action has spiraled out of control and has turned the whole board into a flame war.

      I'm not qualified to say who is right and wrong. However, I try to understand both parties here.

      I know Herb works very hard to obtain permission for material on his site. Bill is also working to preserve as much information by copying.

      We all want to keep the truth about the past alive.

      If only Bill and Herb could walk a mile in each others shoes, they will see how each approach has offended the other.

      I sincerely wish for patience and peace so we can all enjoy the past.

      For peace to happen, we all must make small concessions and start focusing on the good. I believe we are all reasonable men here and can settle our differences if we talk to each other with our expectations and live by the old netiquette, "No offense intended, none taken"

      Regards,
      Josh

      --
      Doug Jackson
      VK1ZDJ
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8 8:39 PM
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Josh,
        >
        > Everything we do is all to easily forgotten - forever.
        >
        > Doug

        Hear, hear! Feelings seem to be running high, but totally out of proportion to the intrinsic importance of the topic. The actions of both parties are not without flaw. A few polite, friendly, offline email exchanges would have prevented this blowup in the first place.

        A wise person knows when to humbly apologise. And an even wiser person knows to feel shame for having caused the need for such an apology in the first place.

        The interested parties can sort themselves out as to which (both?) sorts of wise person they want to be.

        Friendly cooperation is the only thing that will keep this group viable, or even relevant, and I intend to resign from the group if some sort of amicable accord is not established in the next few weeks. I urge other people to take the same stand.

        -Bobby
      • Dave Ruske
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8 10:26 PM
          On May 8, 2013, at 7:35 PM, "joshbensadon" <joshbensadon@...> wrote:
          > For peace to happen, we all must make small concessions and start focusing on the good. I believe we are all reasonable men here and can settle our differences if we talk to each other with our expectations and live by the old netiquette, "No offense intended, none taken"

          Good man, Josh. I've had a distracting couple of days, and I was disappointed to find this mess in my inbox tonight. To all those silent subscribers on the list, please rest assured that this discussion will not continue in volume and tone.

          Some of this may be my fault: perhaps I should have put together a FAQ of some sort about copyright years ago, but generally the group polices itself pretty well, and I really don't know any more about copyright than most people here.

          The way I see it, Bill intended no harm, and was trying to perform a service for the community. I've personally tried to find information that disappeared from the web, and I think current copyright law does need some intelligent overhaul (I don't view the DMCA as particularly well thought out). I've also archived material for my personal use to keep from being bit by such disappearances; who among us hasn't?

          That said, the law is the law, warts and all, and we're obliged to live within its limits, and occasionally lobby for change (insert EFF.org plug here). I'm fine with anyone archiving any content from cosmacelf.com for their personal use, and I believe anyone is within their fair use rights to do so. But much of the material on that site, such as Tom Pittman's "Short Course," RCA's 1800 series data sheets, Steve and Michael Gemeny's "Tale of Two Processors," Juergen Pintaske's "Design Ideas" book, and various photos from many contributors, is material I've been permitted to publish by the copyright holders. While I can (and will!) give someone permission to publish my original works from the website, I can't extend permission to republish the works of others, even though it's freely available.

          I see good points --- and the best of intentions --- on both sides. Let's respect copyrights, and each other, and get back to discussing the technology we enjoy.

          Dave