Re: I'm thinking of cloning the VIP...

  • darcy_ro
    Message 1 of 62 , May 7, 2013
      Hi Andrew:

      The Grayhill keypad is/was the 84BC1-004

      It has 0.75" switch centers, common bus and a molded-in legend with the same layout as the VIP. The other Grayhill series are too small, and the relegendable types are ugly.

      I have looked at other ways of building the keypad, including using Cherry MX series switches and sourcing keytops from WASD Keyboards. But of course it won't look like the VIP using those switches.

      For the money, maybe a custom mylar overlay is still the way to go - but makes it hard for others to duplicate.

      regards,
      Darcy

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wasson <awasson@...> wrote:

      > Darcy,
      >
      > Which Grayhill pad are you looking at getting? I picked up a few on EBay a few years ago for a project. I'm pretty sure I just picked up 2 at the time for about $10 - $12 each. I did a little look and there is one that looks similar for a reasonable price and lots of out of this world prices.
      >
      > Andrew
      >

      > On 2013-05-06, at 6:42 PM, darcy_ro <darcy_ro@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I haven't had a lot of time to pursue this. I recently purchased a VIP to use as a model, though. The keypad still presents some difficulty, to get the correct feel and appear professional. There is a Grayhill keypad very close, but purchase minimums mean I'd have to commit to a fair amount of money.
      > >
      > > When I'm done I'll release the artwork as a set of Gerber files and a BOM. That way everyone can make one. I have no interest in selling kits or keeping it for myself.
      > >
      > > regards,
      > > Darcy.
      > >
      > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Darcy,
      > > >
      > > > How is your project coming along?
      > > >
      > > > I am also interested in experimenting with the VIP...original or replica.
      > > >
      > > > --- J.D.

      > > <snip>

    • jdrose_8_bit
      Message 62 of 62 , May 8, 2013
        That sounds great. I hope you can find a hexpad that will work for you.

        Looking forward to your updates.