RE: [cosmacelf] Re: Book Review: Programmer's Guide to the 1802

  • Adam Trionfo
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2013
      A mostly-accurate, or even, kinda-accurate OCR is fine... as long as it's not the ONLY way to read the text.  Having the original text is extremely important.  The internet is littered with scanned and OCRed tech manuals that don't have the original text and they are not worth reading.  They may be much smaller (kilobytes compared to many megabytes), but are not useful except as a way to tease the reader to get the "real thing."

      Tom, I know that you were offered the book as a pdf.  I also have a copy of it in the format.  A quite good one.  If you'd like me to send it to you let me know and I'll do that.  I'm out of town right now, so it would have to wait until I get home.

      Hmm.  Any 1802 user in Baltimore?  I've never seen an ELF before...

      Adam

      > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      > From: mark@...
      > Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 16:08:14 +0000
      > Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Book Review: Programmer's Guide to the 1802
      >
      > > Looking forward to the book being available. Well it be searchable? Adam
      >
      > Even if Mr. Swan simply scans the book, rather than printing the original digital file to a virtual PDF printer, the more recent versions of Adobe have gotten very good at OCR-ing the scanned text. It's not quite accurate enough for source listings, but for normal prose it's just fine. At that point, the document becomes searchable.
      > ~~
      > Mark Moulding

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > cosmacelf-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > cosmacelf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Charles Richmond
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2013
        On May 2, 2013, at 11:08 AM, urrossum@... wrote:

        > > Looking forward to the book being available. Well it be
        > searchable? Adam
        >
        > Even if Mr. Swan simply scans the book, rather than printing the
        > original digital file to a virtual PDF printer, the more recent
        > versions of Adobe have gotten very good at OCR-ing the scanned
        > text. It's not quite accurate enough for source listings, but for
        > normal prose it's just fine. At that point, the document becomes
        > searchable.

        Searchable is nice... but this is the kind of book you'll want to
        *read* and *understand*! A few weeks ago I had access to a copy via
        interlibrary loan. The chapter which contains explanations of each
        instruction... has a very nice index so one can locate any particular
        instruction that one wants explained.

        |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
        |........................................|
        |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
      • William Donnelly
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2013
          I'm pushing for a paperback version.
          Something like this really needs to be hardcopy,
          and I don't want to be thumbing through my
          collector's copy.

          – Bill
        • Paul Birkel

            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2013

              Absolutely…   I, for one, am just grateful to Tom for considering release as a PDF.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2013

                I have the book since November 4, 1981 in my library.

                A pdf file of this will be great to have so you can easily print those pages you want to examine.

                Come visit ARUBA.

                Eric Tchong

                Absolutely…   I, for one, am just grateful to Tom for considering release as a PDF.

                 Isn't that what they make laser printers, 3-hole punches, and binders for :->?  Even these days, getting a professionally printed-n-bound vanity-p

              • jdrose_8_bit
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Backhouse" <paul@...> wrote:

                  > I, for one, am just grateful to Tom for considering release as
                  > a PDF.

                  Hear! Hear!
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

                    > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Backhouse" <paul@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I, for one, am just grateful to Tom for considering release as
                    > > a PDF.
                    > >

                    > Hear! Hear!

                    I'll triple the motion. Looking forward to some good old reading :)
                  • Andrew Wasson
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                      Yes, I'm also really happy to hear that this book will be made available too.

                      Thanks to Tom Swan for considering that.

                      I still find a wealth of information when referring to some of the books and magazines I grew up with. When you're working with limited instruction sets and small memory you really have to think about how you're going to get things done. I appreciate that sort of thinking over the just grab a uController methodology. It's like using a transistor as an inverter instead of a chip when you just need one in your circuit.

                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                        On May 3, 2013, at 5:25 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

                        > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit"
                        > <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Backhouse" <paul@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I, for one, am just grateful to Tom for considering release as
                        > > > a PDF.
                        > > >

                        > > Hear! Hear!
                        > >

                        > I'll triple the motion. Looking forward to some good old reading :)

                        Yep, as I posted before... it's a book you're going to want to
                        *study*. For reference, the book has good index facilities. You can
                        easily get by without using the computer to search the text.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 4, 2013
                          No, REAL, actual Publish On Demand (POD) books are pretty easy to do and
                          are basically "free" to do, and sell on Amazon. And they are not a bunch of printed pages
                          cheaply bound, they are actual, real paperback books. That we could probably purchase
                          for around $15, and Tom would make a small amount. (maybe about $5 per copy, but
                          that's up to what the author wants to set his net to over and above the base cost)

                          – Bill