Re: [cosmacelf] Why was it called ELF?

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
      In all my travels, I've never seen a reference that explains the chosen name.

      I think Elf (1802) and Pixie (1861) are fairly self-explanatory.

      An "Elf" being a "small person", and therefore "small computer".

      Although it is entirely possible that the name for the Pixie was chosen
      after, and because of, the name for the Elf. So that doesn't, necessarily,
      suggest the creation of "elf".

      It didn't click for me that apparently Weisbecker wrote the Popular Electronics
      articles himself. So, unless the name was suggested by the editors of PE, or
      they had input, he did specifically name it as such.

      Maybe he asked someone in his family (a child), or who knows.
      It could have been an office or meeting brainstorm.
      RCA may or may not have had input.

      – Bill

      CRAV Computing — Classic • Retro • Antique • Vintage
        SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf2
          Online COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in Javascript
        CRAV Computing Group
        facebook CRAV Computing
         COSMAC Elf and 1802 Microcomputing

       Rights Activism and Rights Activist Philosophy

       Deviant Artwork.

      The Consortium of indies, Artistes, & Others • www.CiAOiFilm.net

      .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::?   www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
        GeoEngineering • Aerosol Spraying • Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater

       ✈__✈ █ █ ▄   www.AE911Truth.org

      d71081f2e3459993710e8af1002d1e1e
      _________________
      (\__/) This is Bunny.
      (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
      (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
        It would be possible to ask his daughter, Joyce, if she knows the
        origin of the name. I have an email address of hers dating from 2009.

        73 de Ray

        On Apr 29, 2013, at 4:06 AM, William Donnelly wrote:

        > In all my travels, I've never seen a reference that explains the
        > chosen name.
        >
        > I think Elf (1802) and Pixie (1861) are fairly self-explanatory.
        >
        > An "Elf" being a "small person", and therefore "small computer".
        >
        > Although it is entirely possible that the name for the Pixie was
        > chosen
        > after, and because of, the name for the Elf. So that doesn't,
        > necessarily,
        > suggest the creation of "elf".
        >
        > It didn't click for me that apparently Weisbecker wrote the Popular
        > Electronics
        > articles himself. So, unless the name was suggested by the editors
        > of PE, or
        > they had input, he did specifically name it as such.
        >
        > Maybe he asked someone in his family (a child), or who knows.
        > It could have been an office or meeting brainstorm.
        > RCA may or may not have had input.
        >
        > – Bill
        >
        > CRAV Computing — Classic • Retro • Antique • Vintage
        > SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf2
        > Online COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in Javascript
        > CRAV Computing Group
        > facebook CRAV Computing
        > COSMAC Elf and 1802 Microcomputing
        >
        > Rights Activism and Rights Activist Philosophy
        >
        > Deviant Artwork.
        >
        > The Consortium of indies, Artistes, & Others • www.CiAOiFilm.net
        >
        > .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::? www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
        > GeoEngineering • Aerosol Spraying • Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater
        >
        > ✈__✈ █ █ ▄ www.AE911Truth.org
        >
        > d71081f2e3459993710e8af1002d1e1e
        > _________________
        > (\__/) This is Bunny.
        > (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
        > (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

      • system3025
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
          All of the text was capitalized in that image. :-) In the article it was referred as "Elf" several times.

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

          > Why did Mr. Weisbecker call his Popular Electronics implementation of the 1802 computer the "ELF"?
          >
          > We can all make guesses regarding size and simplicity as inspiration.
          >
          > Just wondering if there is some actual history to the nomenclature?
          >
          > --- J.D.
          >
          > Postscripture,
          >
          > I have an original edition of the magazine and noticed that it is "ELF". All capitalized. Not sure if that is important or not.
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/31767011@N02/8690654183/sizes/l

        • Rick Cortese
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
            Looking at the title text that goes with it (E)xperimental (L)ow cost but the 'F is less obvious. I would suggest from Dave's post
             (F)RED, which he said stood for "Flexible Recreational and Educational Device."

            All of the text was capitalized in that image. :-) In the article it was referred as "Elf" several times.

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

            > Why did Mr. Weisbecker call his Popular Electronics implementation of the 1802 computer the "ELF"?
            >
            > We can all make guesses regarding size and simplicity as inspiration.
            >
            > Just wondering if there is some actual history to the nomenclature?
            >
            > --- J.D.
            >
            > Postscripture,
            >
            > I have an original edition of the magazine and noticed that it is "ELF". All capitalized. Not sure if that is important or not.
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/31767011@N02/8690654183/sizes/l

          • jdrose_8_bit
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
              I remember seeing her posts at another groupsite. She seemed friendly and open to correspondence. Give it a go. Would be interesting to know if she remembers the history of the "Elf" name.

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                Experimental Low-cost F(RED) could be a bacronym. (by us or Weisbecker)

                Or it could be a real acronym if F.R.E.D. was a sparkle in Weisbecker's eye before/when
                he created the ELF/Elf, and meant the ELF to be a simpler FRED.

                If there was some linguistic association with 'ELF' and 'FRED" (anyone know of an Elf named Fred
                prior to 1976?), like 'PIXIE', then there would be a stronger case for it.

                There is a poem/limerick: (unknown date and author, afaict)

                There once was an elf named Fred
                Whose house was of gingerbread.
                Though tasty, these walls
                Dissolved in snowfalls
                And also made crumbs in Fred's bed.

                Anyone know if Weisbecker had a sense if humor? He was an EE, so....
                (I'll let you decide which way that might be, or should be, meant)

                'PIXIE' is also interesting if you want to think of 'pixel'.
                [ dictionary.com says: pix·el [pik-suhl, -sel] noun Computers, Television.
                the smallest element of an image that can be individually processed in a video display system.
                Origin: 1965–70; pix2 (def 1)  + el(ement) ]

                I've always liked to capitalize Elf, not uppercase it. And there is good evidence that it
                was intended by Weisbecker to be capitalized and not uppercased, except as the
                title of the article. I checked the (first) article and I didn't see it as anything but "Elf".
                (several references)

                So it's most-probably my suggestion of a "small" computer, which is probably a common
                usage, although I don't know how you would prove that one way or the other.
                But that still (possibly/potentially) doesn't completely explain it, if it is even true.

                – Bill

                On 4/29/2013 8:28 AM, Rick Cortese wrote:

                Looking at the title text that goes with it (E)xperimental (L)ow cost but the 'F is less obvious. I would suggest from Dave's post
                 (F)RED, which he said stood for "Flexible Recreational and Educational Device."

              • garydidio
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Believe it or not, "Elf" does not stand for anything.  It simply means "small".

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kriceslo@...> wrote:

                    > Very astute. It would be blown up like the Apollo rumor.

                    ??
                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                      Viking/Voyager. My bad.

                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

                      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kriceslo@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Very astute. It would be blown up like the Apollo rumor.
                      > >

                      > ??

                    • Ray Sills
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                        I have an email into that address. Haven't heard anything, but it
                        hasn't bounced, either. I'll post any response.

                        73 de Ray

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                          References?

                          – Bill

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@... wrote:

                            > Believe it or not, "Elf" does not stand for anything. It simply means "small".

                            Regarding the PE 1802 Elf, how do you know that?

                            Thanks.