Re: Why was it called ELF?

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 28, 2013
      Very astute. It would be blown up like the Apollo rumor.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "joshbensadon" <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

      > I don't even want to venture a guess, since it might lead history to the wrong answer.
    • Dave Ruske
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 28, 2013
        I don't know about the ELF, but there is precedent for Weisbecker coming up with an acronym for at least one of his creations. In the August 1974 IEEE Computer journal, Weisbecker introduced a conceptual COSMAC-based computer called FRED, which he said stood for "Flexible Recreational and Educational Device." The machine described in that article lays out a blueprint for what RCA would eventually commercialize as the VIP.

        I'm not sure that the original Popular Electronics article had "Elf" in all caps, though; the web-based versions of the article I just tried looking up don't have it in all caps. There's probably an original scan somewhere, and I likely have the original article somewhere in my basement, but it's late so I'll leave it to someone else to confirm… :)

        Dave

        On Apr 28, 2013, at 11:29 PM, joshbensadon <joshbensadon@...> wrote:
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

        > Why did Mr. Weisbecker call his Popular Electronics implementation of the 1802 computer the "ELF"?
        >
        > Just wondering if there is some actual history to the nomenclature?
        >
        > I have an original edition of the magazine and noticed that it is "ELF". All capitalized. Not sure if that is important or not.

        Great question, sadly, I don't know the answer. You would think since it's spelled in all capitals, it might stand for something? I don't even want to venture a guess, since it might lead history to the wrong answer.

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
          CONFIRMATION: http://home.comcast.net/~cwebay6/elf76b11a.jpg

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ruske <dave@...> wrote:

          > I don't know about the ELF, but there is precedent for Weisbecker coming up with an acronym for at least one of his creations. In the August 1974 IEEE Computer journal, Weisbecker introduced a conceptual COSMAC-based computer called FRED, which he said stood for "Flexible Recreational and Educational Device." The machine described in that article lays out a blueprint for what RCA would eventually commercialize as the VIP.
          >
          > I'm not sure that the original Popular Electronics article had "Elf" in all caps, though; the web-based versions of the article I just tried looking up don't have it in all caps. There's probably an original scan somewhere, and I likely have the original article somewhere in my basement, but it's late so I'll leave it to someone else to confirm… :)
          >
          > Dave
          >

          > On Apr 28, 2013, at 11:29 PM, joshbensadon <joshbensadon@...> wrote:
          > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Why did Mr. Weisbecker call his Popular Electronics implementation of the 1802 computer the "ELF"?
          > > >
          > > > Just wondering if there is some actual history to the nomenclature?
          > > >
          > > > I have an original edition of the magazine and noticed that it is "ELF". All capitalized. Not sure if that is important or not.
          > >
          > > Great question, sadly, I don't know the answer. You would think since it's spelled in all capitals, it might stand for something? I don't even want to venture a guess, since it might lead history to the wrong answer.

        • William Donnelly
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
            In all my travels, I've never seen a reference that explains the chosen name.

            I think Elf (1802) and Pixie (1861) are fairly self-explanatory.

            An "Elf" being a "small person", and therefore "small computer".

            Although it is entirely possible that the name for the Pixie was chosen
            after, and because of, the name for the Elf. So that doesn't, necessarily,
            suggest the creation of "elf".

            It didn't click for me that apparently Weisbecker wrote the Popular Electronics
            articles himself. So, unless the name was suggested by the editors of PE, or
            they had input, he did specifically name it as such.

            Maybe he asked someone in his family (a child), or who knows.
            It could have been an office or meeting brainstorm.
            RCA may or may not have had input.

            – Bill

            CRAV Computing — Classic • Retro • Antique • Vintage
              SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf2
                Online COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in Javascript
              CRAV Computing Group
              facebook CRAV Computing
               COSMAC Elf and 1802 Microcomputing

             Rights Activism and Rights Activist Philosophy

             Deviant Artwork.

            The Consortium of indies, Artistes, & Others • www.CiAOiFilm.net

            .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::?   www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
              GeoEngineering • Aerosol Spraying • Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater

             ✈__✈ █ █ ▄   www.AE911Truth.org

            d71081f2e3459993710e8af1002d1e1e
            _________________
            (\__/) This is Bunny.
            (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
            (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
              It would be possible to ask his daughter, Joyce, if she knows the
              origin of the name. I have an email address of hers dating from 2009.

              73 de Ray

              On Apr 29, 2013, at 4:06 AM, William Donnelly wrote:

              > In all my travels, I've never seen a reference that explains the
              > chosen name.
              >
              > I think Elf (1802) and Pixie (1861) are fairly self-explanatory.
              >
              > An "Elf" being a "small person", and therefore "small computer".
              >
              > Although it is entirely possible that the name for the Pixie was
              > chosen
              > after, and because of, the name for the Elf. So that doesn't,
              > necessarily,
              > suggest the creation of "elf".
              >
              > It didn't click for me that apparently Weisbecker wrote the Popular
              > Electronics
              > articles himself. So, unless the name was suggested by the editors
              > of PE, or
              > they had input, he did specifically name it as such.
              >
              > Maybe he asked someone in his family (a child), or who knows.
              > It could have been an office or meeting brainstorm.
              > RCA may or may not have had input.
              >
              > – Bill
              >
              > CRAV Computing — Classic • Retro • Antique • Vintage
              > SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf2
              > Online COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in Javascript
              > CRAV Computing Group
              > facebook CRAV Computing
              > COSMAC Elf and 1802 Microcomputing
              >
              > Rights Activism and Rights Activist Philosophy
              >
              > Deviant Artwork.
              >
              > The Consortium of indies, Artistes, & Others • www.CiAOiFilm.net
              >
              > .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::? www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
              > GeoEngineering • Aerosol Spraying • Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater
              >
              > ✈__✈ █ █ ▄ www.AE911Truth.org
              >
              > d71081f2e3459993710e8af1002d1e1e
              > _________________
              > (\__/) This is Bunny.
              > (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
              > (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

            • system3025
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                All of the text was capitalized in that image. :-) In the article it was referred as "Elf" several times.

                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

                > Why did Mr. Weisbecker call his Popular Electronics implementation of the 1802 computer the "ELF"?
                >
                > We can all make guesses regarding size and simplicity as inspiration.
                >
                > Just wondering if there is some actual history to the nomenclature?
                >
                > --- J.D.
                >
                > Postscripture,
                >
                > I have an original edition of the magazine and noticed that it is "ELF". All capitalized. Not sure if that is important or not.
                >
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/31767011@N02/8690654183/sizes/l

              • Rick Cortese
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Looking at the title text that goes with it (E)xperimental (L)ow cost but the 'F is less obvious. I would suggest from Dave's post
                   (F)RED, which he said stood for "Flexible Recreational and Educational Device."

                  All of the text was capitalized in that image. :-) In the article it was referred as "Elf" several times.

                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

                  > Why did Mr. Weisbecker call his Popular Electronics implementation of the 1802 computer the "ELF"?
                  >
                  > We can all make guesses regarding size and simplicity as inspiration.
                  >
                  > Just wondering if there is some actual history to the nomenclature?
                  >
                  > --- J.D.
                  >
                  > Postscripture,
                  >
                  > I have an original edition of the magazine and noticed that it is "ELF". All capitalized. Not sure if that is important or not.
                  >
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/31767011@N02/8690654183/sizes/l

                • jdrose_8_bit
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                    I remember seeing her posts at another groupsite. She seemed friendly and open to correspondence. Give it a go. Would be interesting to know if she remembers the history of the "Elf" name.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                      Experimental Low-cost F(RED) could be a bacronym. (by us or Weisbecker)

                      Or it could be a real acronym if F.R.E.D. was a sparkle in Weisbecker's eye before/when
                      he created the ELF/Elf, and meant the ELF to be a simpler FRED.

                      If there was some linguistic association with 'ELF' and 'FRED" (anyone know of an Elf named Fred
                      prior to 1976?), like 'PIXIE', then there would be a stronger case for it.

                      There is a poem/limerick: (unknown date and author, afaict)

                      There once was an elf named Fred
                      Whose house was of gingerbread.
                      Though tasty, these walls
                      Dissolved in snowfalls
                      And also made crumbs in Fred's bed.

                      Anyone know if Weisbecker had a sense if humor? He was an EE, so....
                      (I'll let you decide which way that might be, or should be, meant)

                      'PIXIE' is also interesting if you want to think of 'pixel'.
                      [ dictionary.com says: pix·el [pik-suhl, -sel] noun Computers, Television.
                      the smallest element of an image that can be individually processed in a video display system.
                      Origin: 1965–70; pix2 (def 1)  + el(ement) ]

                      I've always liked to capitalize Elf, not uppercase it. And there is good evidence that it
                      was intended by Weisbecker to be capitalized and not uppercased, except as the
                      title of the article. I checked the (first) article and I didn't see it as anything but "Elf".
                      (several references)

                      So it's most-probably my suggestion of a "small" computer, which is probably a common
                      usage, although I don't know how you would prove that one way or the other.
                      But that still (possibly/potentially) doesn't completely explain it, if it is even true.

                      – Bill

                      On 4/29/2013 8:28 AM, Rick Cortese wrote:

                      Looking at the title text that goes with it (E)xperimental (L)ow cost but the 'F is less obvious. I would suggest from Dave's post
                       (F)RED, which he said stood for "Flexible Recreational and Educational Device."

                    • garydidio
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                        Believe it or not, "Elf" does not stand for anything.  It simply means "small".

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kriceslo@...> wrote:

                          > Very astute. It would be blown up like the Apollo rumor.

                          ??
                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                            Viking/Voyager. My bad.

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

                            > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kriceslo@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Very astute. It would be blown up like the Apollo rumor.
                            > >

                            > ??

                          • Ray Sills
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                              I have an email into that address. Haven't heard anything, but it
                              hasn't bounced, either. I'll post any response.

                              73 de Ray

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                                References?

                                – Bill

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@... wrote:

                                  > Believe it or not, "Elf" does not stand for anything. It simply means "small".

                                  Regarding the PE 1802 Elf, how do you know that?

                                  Thanks.