Re: [cosmacelf] Re: ET-3400 Memory board and Elf II question

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
      I didn't know there were dual-port RAM chips. Those would be good for video memory
      for some applications. That would make it easier to have a dedicated 1802 that only does
      the 1861 graphics, at the speed that it needs to be done, and not much else, although
      you could use it for a keyboard scanner, or some other operations that don't take a lot
      of time. And then have your primary 1802 that is only running the program(s) that
      you want to run, possibly at a higher clock rate, and it can just write to the video memory
      and not worry about it.

      http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/memory/dual-ports.aspx

      – Bill

      On 4/24/2013 2:36 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

      Cool, I have an ET-3400 too. I wonder if they made modules (original) for that header?

      I bet it could be used with anything. It's using a dual port RAM chip, very cool. That dual port ram offers asynchronous operation. The reading/writing from one port can take place at any time regardless of the reading/writing from the 2nd port. If you write to an address and read that same address on the other side, I believe you get a real time value. If the 2 ports write to the same address, the last one that writes wins.

      :)J