Re: CHIP-8 and HP-48 Connection?

  • jdrose_8_bit
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013
      That is pretty nifty.

      CHIP-8 will be more useful when the much faster 1802 processors are developed. Most CHIP-8 applications on a stock 1802 seem to run very slow. I think that limits CHIP-8's appeal.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Schultz" <david.schultz@...>

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013
        On 4/22/2013 7:34 PM, jdrose_8_bit wrote:
        > What does that mean? CHIP-8 was implemented on other processors besides the 1802 and 6800? The HP-48 had a 1802 processor?

        CHIP-8 is an interpreted language, like BASIC etc. It was written for
        many different CPUs besides the 1802.

        --
        First they ignore you; then they mock you; then they fight you; then you
        win. -- Mahatma Gandhi
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013

          > CHIP-8 is an interpreted language, like BASIC etc. It was written for
          > many different CPUs besides the 1802.

          Thanks for the analogy. That makes sense.

          For some reason I was under the impression that CHIP-8 was 1802 dependent. You cleared it up for me.
        • William Donnelly
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013
            Yes, and I mentioned somewhere once that it is (like) a compiler/assembler,
            and no one corrected me, but it is only an interpreter.
            Reading this makes it more clear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip-8

            – Bill

            On 4/23/2013 5:35 PM, jdrose_8_bit wrote:

            > CHIP-8 is an interpreted language, like BASIC etc. It was written for
            > many different CPUs besides the 1802.

            Thanks for the analogy. That makes sense.

            For some reason I was under the impression that CHIP-8 was 1802 dependent. You cleared it up for me.

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013
                Well, I've seen SMD in "Wide" format but I didn't clue in when ordering some SMD 1206 devices. Boy was I surprised when the "Wide" type arrived today.

                Word to the wise, always double check the data sheet when mail ordering.

                I've gone ahead and used them anyway, just mounted them vertically.
                You can see a picture Balloon Tracker -1, -2.

                It's for a friend that releases balloons for near space exploration, very attractive hobby.

                :)J
              • jdrose_8_bit
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Indeed. Looks like you made it work despite the surprise.

                  Balloons lofted to the upper stratosphere are all the rage right now. I am a little bit afraid that an airplane will impact one but the odds seem quite low. The FAA considers them legal if the payload weighs less than 64 ounces.

                  Seems like an exciting hobby.

                  Lofted, an 1802 gathering data from an AS3935, into a Cumulonimbus cloud would be an interesting experiment. Count the number of discharges during the cloud's life from bloom to collapse.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 24, 2013
                    josh: where are the pics?

                    To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                    From: joshbensadon@...
                    Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:33:40 +0000
                    Subject: [cosmacelf] Hard lesson in SMD.

                  • bill_rowe@rogers.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 24, 2013
                      haha. i had never seen the term wide" before - done so you can put more pwer thru - right?

                      why the smd? Less drilling?

                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "joshbensadon" <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I've seen SMD in "Wide" format but I didn't clue in when ordering some SMD 1206 devices. Boy was I surprised when the "Wide" type arrived today.
                      >
                      > Word to the wise, always double check the data sheet when mail ordering.
                      >
                      > I've gone ahead and used them anyway, just mounted them vertically.
                      > You can see a picture Balloon Tracker -1, -2.
                      >
                      > It's for a friend that releases balloons for near space exploration, very attractive hobby.
                      >
                      > :)J

                    • jdrose_8_bit
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 24, 2013
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 24, 2013
                          Hi Bill,

                          Look in the Photo's section, in the folder with my name.

                          My friend is launching on May 8th in Perth. Would you like to come watch?

                          :)J

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 24, 2013
                            I guess you found the picture. That part of the circuit is an impedance matching between the tracker and the transmitter. The transistor specified is only available as an SMT device, also, the transmitter is soldered in below the tracker chip and I thought it would be better to not interrupt the ground plane near that section. Also, I was working with a size constraint by PCB Express, but in the end it didn't matter since I used a local service (Quick Circuits in Scarborough) but I didn't reconsider a new layout.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 24, 2013
                              oh geez yes josh.  I'll send you a note off-list.

                              To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com