Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Viking and Voyager erroneosity

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013
      FTR, none of them are my pages. (except as occasionally noted in my signature)
      Herb Johnson runs retrotechnology.info.
      I'm sure he appreciates your comments.
      This is probably (easily) one of the best groups around, and
      not just in the 1802 / COSMAC Elf sense.

      – Bill

      On 4/17/2013 7:54 AM, Adam Trionfo wrote:

      William Donnelly wrote:

      As I see these references on the Web, I try to contact the pages noted [about fixing their webpages about information concerning the 1802 and the space program]

      I'm new to this VERY active group, so I've never seen these fixes.  I'm familiar with the errors that are noted, as I've read them in the past... but I didn't know that they were errors until last night!

      That's a nice, informative web page you've got set up, William.  It led me to read more about the space program.  I ended up reading most of Wikipedia's page on the Galileo.  Thanks for doing your best to attend to this fix (it'll be going on for years and years to come), and for leading me on an hour's tour of OUTER SPACE!

      Adam
      {snip}

    • thinkpast
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013

        Adam wrote:
        > I'm new to this VERY active group, so I've never seen these fixes. I'm familiar with the errors that are noted, as I've read them in the past... but I didn't know that they were errors until last night!
        >
        > That's a nice, informative web page you've got set up, William. It led me to read more about the space program. I ended up reading most of Wikipedia's page on the Galileo. Thanks for doing your best to attend to this fix (it'll be going on for years and years to come), and for leading me on an hour's tour of OUTER SPACE!
        >
        > Adam

        Herb Johnson replies:

        As Bill (William) Donnelly posted, the Web links to retrotechnology.com are to MY Web site and domain. I posted the reply which included those Web links. Sometimes it's hard to read replies to replies to posts, especially if you are new to Yahoo. Myself, I use the "web" version of cosmacelf, and it's more obvious who posted what when reading on the Web version.

        So thanks for the compliments about the content of those pages. I edited it, I and others wrote the content (authors names are there). A number of cosmacelf members worked with me (or I with them) to review the history of early use of microprocessors in spacecraft. I made a point of finding "first-person" documents - that is, documents written by the spacecraft designers, or their agencies - in order to refute the common notion that Voyager and Viking spacecraft included the 1802. That included references on Wikipedia! Then I/we did work on finding the earliest use of the 1802 and other processors. But before the microprocessor, some spacecraft architectures were based on MINIcomputer processors; so there were computers in space before microprocessors.

        So I suggest you follow up your interests in early spacecraft, by reading the "original" documents, and not just the summaries on Wikipedia. Over the years, more original documentation is available on the Web, and I link to some of that. Other documentation may be obtained from the agencies involved, or from books you can buy, or from libraries (university and public). Did you know that your local library can help you obtain books from OTHER libraries? It's called "interlibrary loan". Information about the world before the Web, is still largely in books and magazines of the period; and the Web still has some misinformation from lack of access to original information.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com