Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Elf II PCB

    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 17, 2013

      urrossum@... wrote:
      > It would take some pretty sophisticated PhotoShopping...
      > I think the right approach is to use a modern (or even
      > semi-modern) CAD package to re-layout the board, using the pictures
      > as a guide.
      >
      > Ah, what the heck. It sounds like enough people are interested that
      > I'd be willing to take a crack at this. (I just finished a fairly
      > complex layout project, so I'm feeling pretty good at my PC layout
      > game right now.) Since the hard part (figuring out the best way to
      > run the traces - auto-routers generally suck) is done, it should go
      > pretty quickly.

      I agree. I've made a few recreations of old boards myself, to replace
      boards that were no longer available. Unless you can scan the real board
      or its original artwork, it's faster and more accurate to simply create
      a new layout with a decent PCB CAD package.

      On copyrights: If you create a new PCB, it's a derivitive work and not a
      copyright infringement. You will almost certainly make changes. Old
      parts won't be available so you'll have to lay it out to use parts you
      can get. Better parts will be available (like bigger memory chips).
      You'll want to make corrections and improvements.

      Finally, it's unethical to try to make an exact copy. It is likely to be
      used to cheat someone by passing it off as an original. You should
      *deliberately* make it recognizable as a modern reproduction and not an
      original.
      --
      The trouble ain't that there's too many fools, but that lightning ain't
      distributed right. -- Mark Twain
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 18, 2014
        Mark,

        I have an old ELF II with shot buttons - not from age but honestly from overuse - my father and I used that computer for years.  I have not been able to track down a source for replacement buttons but you mention that you found some.  Could you point me in the right direction to get a handful of replacements?

        Thanks,

        Stephan