Viking and Voyager erroneosity

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2013
      I got two websites to change their incorrect info re 1802s being used in Viking and/or Voyager.
      Still waiting to hear back on the one.

      Done: http://www.computerhistory.org/semiconductor/timeline/1963-CMOS.html
      was: http://web.archive.org/web/20130103015829/http://www.computerhistory.org/semiconductor/timeline/1963-CMOS.html
      (pop-up doesn't work in the 'was', but hover over bottom right image #4, which is an image of the Viking, although it's not showing
      correctly for me, and the hover-title-text was "Viking carried three RCA COSMAC 1802 microprocessors - the first MPUs in space")

      Done: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/6273/Viking%20Spce%20craft%20uses%20RCA%201802%208%20bit%20CMOS%20Microprocessor
      was: http://web.archive.org/web/20130402050638/http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/6273/Viking...

      In the queue: http://www.antiquetech.com/chips/RCA1802.htm
      (says: ..., Voyager (3 1802's), ..., Viking, Galileo, and the Space Shuttle (TV Systems)...)

      btw -- This doesn't sound correct to me: "the Space Shuttle (TV Systems)"

      I'm going to try to make it down to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA ASAP. Not too far away.

      ref:  http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/1802_spacecraft.html
      and: http://www.cpushack.com/space-craft-cpu.html

      – Bill

      CRAV Computing — Classic • Retro • Antique • Vintage
        SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf2
          Online COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in Javascript
        CRAV Computing Group
        facebook CRAV Computing
         COSMAC Elf and 1802 Microcomputing

       Deviant Artwork.

      The Consortium of indies, Artistes, & Others • www.CiAOiFilm.net

      .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::?   www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
        GeoEngineering • Aerosol Spraying • Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater

       ✈__✈ █ █ ▄   www.AE911Truth.org

      d71081f2e3459993710e8af1002d1e1e
      _________________
      (\__/) This is Bunny.
      (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
      (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

    • thinkpast
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:

        > I got two websites to change their incorrect info re 1802s being used in
        > Viking and/or Voyager.
        > Still waiting to hear back on the one.
        >
        > Done: http://www.computerhistory.org/semiconductor/timeline/1963-CMOS.html

        Looks to me like they or someone read my Web pages on the subject:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/amsat.html
        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/1802_spacecraft.html

        as much of their current text seems to echo my content. Others have also written on the subject.

        > Done:
        > http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/6273/Viking%20Spce%20craft%20uses%20RCA%201802%208%20bit%20CMOS%20Microprocessor

        quotes me directly.

        > In the queue: http://www.antiquetech.com/chips/RCA1802.htm

        That page dates from 2009. I believe I contacted them previously.

        As I see these references on the Web, I try to contact the pages noted. Many of them are of old documents or not-well-maintained sites; they were using old incorrect information. I appreciate that other people are contacting these sites; they are welcome to refer them to my Web pages above which contain primary references (to documents from people or organizations who made the satellites).

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Adam Trionfo
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013
          William Donnelly wrote:

          As I see these references on the Web, I try to contact the pages noted [about fixing their webpages about information concerning the 1802 and the space program]

          I'm new to this VERY active group, so I've never seen these fixes.  I'm familiar with the errors that are noted, as I've read them in the past... but I didn't know that they were errors until last night!

          That's a nice, informative web page you've got set up, William.  It led me to read more about the space program.  I ended up reading most of Wikipedia's page on the Galileo.  Thanks for doing your best to attend to this fix (it'll be going on for years and years to come), and for leading me on an hour's tour of OUTER SPACE!

          Adam

          > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
          > From: hjohnson@...
          > Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:39:22 +0000
          > Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Viking and Voyager erroneosity
          >

          > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I got two websites to change their incorrect info re 1802s being used in
          > > Viking and/or Voyager.
          > > Still waiting to hear back on the one.
          > >
          > > Done: http://www.computerhistory.org/semiconductor/timeline/1963-CMOS.html
          >
          > Looks to me like they or someone read my Web pages on the subject:
          >
          > http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/amsat.html
          > http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/1802_spacecraft.html
          >
          > as much of their current text seems to echo my content. Others have also written on the subject.
          >
          > > Done:
          > > http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/6273/Viking%20Spce%20craft%20uses%20RCA%201802%208%20bit%20CMOS%20Microprocessor
          >
          > quotes me directly.
          >
          > > In the queue: http://www.antiquetech.com/chips/RCA1802.htm
          >
          > That page dates from 2009. I believe I contacted them previously.
          >
          > As I see these references on the Web, I try to contact the pages noted. Many of them are of old documents or not-well-maintained sites; they were using old incorrect information. I appreciate that other people are contacting these sites; they are welcome to refer them to my Web pages above which contain primary references (to documents from people or organizations who made the satellites).
          >
          > Herb Johnson
          > retrotechnology.com

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > cosmacelf-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > cosmacelf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • William Donnelly
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013
            FTR, none of them are my pages. (except as occasionally noted in my signature)
            Herb Johnson runs retrotechnology.info.
            I'm sure he appreciates your comments.
            This is probably (easily) one of the best groups around, and
            not just in the 1802 / COSMAC Elf sense.

            – Bill

            On 4/17/2013 7:54 AM, Adam Trionfo wrote:

            William Donnelly wrote:

            As I see these references on the Web, I try to contact the pages noted [about fixing their webpages about information concerning the 1802 and the space program]

            I'm new to this VERY active group, so I've never seen these fixes.  I'm familiar with the errors that are noted, as I've read them in the past... but I didn't know that they were errors until last night!

            That's a nice, informative web page you've got set up, William.  It led me to read more about the space program.  I ended up reading most of Wikipedia's page on the Galileo.  Thanks for doing your best to attend to this fix (it'll be going on for years and years to come), and for leading me on an hour's tour of OUTER SPACE!

            Adam
            {snip}

          • thinkpast
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013

              Adam wrote:
              > I'm new to this VERY active group, so I've never seen these fixes. I'm familiar with the errors that are noted, as I've read them in the past... but I didn't know that they were errors until last night!
              >
              > That's a nice, informative web page you've got set up, William. It led me to read more about the space program. I ended up reading most of Wikipedia's page on the Galileo. Thanks for doing your best to attend to this fix (it'll be going on for years and years to come), and for leading me on an hour's tour of OUTER SPACE!
              >
              > Adam

              Herb Johnson replies:

              As Bill (William) Donnelly posted, the Web links to retrotechnology.com are to MY Web site and domain. I posted the reply which included those Web links. Sometimes it's hard to read replies to replies to posts, especially if you are new to Yahoo. Myself, I use the "web" version of cosmacelf, and it's more obvious who posted what when reading on the Web version.

              So thanks for the compliments about the content of those pages. I edited it, I and others wrote the content (authors names are there). A number of cosmacelf members worked with me (or I with them) to review the history of early use of microprocessors in spacecraft. I made a point of finding "first-person" documents - that is, documents written by the spacecraft designers, or their agencies - in order to refute the common notion that Voyager and Viking spacecraft included the 1802. That included references on Wikipedia! Then I/we did work on finding the earliest use of the 1802 and other processors. But before the microprocessor, some spacecraft architectures were based on MINIcomputer processors; so there were computers in space before microprocessors.

              So I suggest you follow up your interests in early spacecraft, by reading the "original" documents, and not just the summaries on Wikipedia. Over the years, more original documentation is available on the Web, and I link to some of that. Other documentation may be obtained from the agencies involved, or from books you can buy, or from libraries (university and public). Did you know that your local library can help you obtain books from OTHER libraries? It's called "interlibrary loan". Information about the world before the Web, is still largely in books and magazines of the period; and the Web still has some misinformation from lack of access to original information.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com