web banner

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
      Feel free to use my web banner to link to the group.
      Unless the management prefers that a different image be used.

      http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/tolkien1802/

      – Bill

      CRAV Computing — Classic • Retro • Antique • Vintage
        SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf2
          Online COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in Javascript
        CRAV Computing Group
        facebook CRAV Computing
         COSMAC Elf and 1802 Microcomputing

       Deviant Artwork.

      The Consortium of indies, Artistes, & Others • www.CiAOiFilm.net

      .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::?   www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
        GeoEngineering • Aerosol Spraying • Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater

       ✈__✈ █ █ ▄   www.AE911Truth.org

      d71081f2e3459993710e8af1002d1e1e
      _________________
      (\__/) This is Bunny.
      (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
      (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

    • jdrose_8_bit
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
        That is a nice emulator. Nicely retro looking as well. All the register values on-screen is good thinking. That will help understand programming the 1802 faster.

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:

        > http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/tolkien1802/
        >
        > -- Bill

      • Dave Ruske

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
            On Apr 14, 2013, at 3:09 AM, William Donnelly wrote:

            > Feel free to use my web banner to link to the group.
            > Unless the management prefers that a different image be used.
            >
            > http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/tolkien1802/

            Mr. Donnelly, have you considered porting your COSMAC Elf emulator to
            Android??? I've been needing an excuse to buy an Android tablet
            computer... :-)

            |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
            |........................................|
            |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
          • jdrose_8_bit
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
              Great idea. Been looking for an ELF emulator for my Android device as well.

              Good way for me to tinker with the 1802 at the same time I am "watching" a movie with my wife. She is a computer widow way too often. Mobile computing keeps me in the living room with her in the evenings.

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond <old_computers@...> wrote:

              > On Apr 14, 2013, at 3:09 AM, William Donnelly wrote:
              >
              > > Feel free to use my web banner to link to the group.
              > > Unless the management prefers that a different image be used.
              > >
              > > http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/tolkien1802/
              > >
              > Mr. Donnelly, have you considered porting your COSMAC Elf emulator to
              > Android??? I've been needing an excuse to buy an Android tablet
              > computer... :-)
              >
              > --
              > +----------------------------------------+
              > |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
              > |........................................|
              > |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
              > +----------------------------------------+

            • William Donnelly
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
                "Bill" is fine. I used to say, "Mr. Donnelly" is my Dad, but I have now become my Dad.

                Anyway, a SimElf app would be cool. And I wanted to get in on the smart phone app craze,
                but it's not gonna happen. (lost a lot of potential income there) Someone wrote one for
                a phone already, didn't they? (sorry for the bad memory)

                Theoretically, if you can browse in your phone, the simulator will work.
                Maybe the graphics would need to be tweaked for size?
                I don't know a lot about that stuff. I know there is the mobile browsing thing,
                but I've only minimally read about it and haven't done anything with it.

                The whole smart phone craze and texting and watching movies on your
                phone and all that kind of irritates me. I guess I'm getting (too) old.
                Hold on a second... "Hey! You kids! Get off my lawn!" ...I'm back.

                Of course, I never did like those small handheld game machines (GameBoy, etc.),
                although I also was never really a game-player, either. I'm still not. I've never played
                Call of Duty, or any game on a popular game machine. (someone awhile back
                mentioned something about a "PS3" and I asked what that was and they
                looked at me like, "ARE YOU INSANE???" Incredulity won the day that day.

                I play occasional online Flash games, like that one where you hop eggs up
                into nests, and I like Angry Birds, and some computer games like the one
                where you match up the jewels and they explode and you have to make it
                to each level before your time runs out. That's about the extent of it.
                I guess I'm kind of boring that way.

                I always preferred to make computer games than play them. Although I never
                got into making the graphics-oriented arcade-like games. And I like logic games.
                When I was younger, well-into a young adult, I did play a lot of arcade games
                and pinball, which I still enjoy today. And play occasionally when you can find them.
                I just realized the other day that there are no more arcades to go to. (mostly)

                I have a Blackberry. I don't even know if that is considered a Smart Phone.
                I guess it is, but compared to iPhone or Android its not anywhere near
                in their league. I don't know why I never tried to run SimElf in it, although
                I have Metro PCS as my carrier, and they are not good, so it barely works
                most of the time, and is very slow Internet-wise. I also don't get the best
                connection too much of the time. I'm thinking about changing.

                I just tried it and full screen looked kind of cool and you could tell what
                it was and it might even be semi-usable. It doesn't quite show the bottom
                row with the switches, and you can't really read the logo. But when I tried to
                click on the image-links, it just zoomed in. I don't use it that way, so I don't even
                know how to tell it to click instead of zoom. When it finally zoomed in
                all the way, I could see about 1/16 of the Elf proper, but could scroll
                around. But the links don't work. So the help button doesn't work, and
                the switches don't work, and you can't open up the screen that lets
                you load programs. I don't know if it's a BB browser issue, or their
                support of JS, or what's going on. I probably won't mess with it to find out.

                If other people get it to work on their SP, let us know. And how well it
                works, etc. Images and/or videos are a plus.

                I would like to get an Android. Mostly for the Astronomy/Space/Star Gazing
                app where you can point it at the sky and it shows you the star names and
                constellations. And also for the GPS mapping.

                I'm going to have to add "1802Boy" to my ToDo list. I need to write at least
                one graphics game for the 1802. It really sucks not having color, though.
                That is so limiting, plus then you have a very limiting resolution on top of that.
                However: Challenge accepted! ;o)
                I can imagine someone seeing me playing it while waiting at the DMV or
                something and saying, "What the hell is THAT??"

                Maybe we should have an 1802-1861 Game Making Contest.
                Maybe Lee (or someone) will sponsor it with a MC as the Grand Prize.

                – Bill

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
                  On Apr 14, 2013, at 8:46 PM, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:
                  Anyway, a SimElf app would be cool. And I wanted to get in on the smart phone app craze,
                  but it's not gonna happen. (lost a lot of potential income there) Someone wrote one for
                  a phone already, didn't they? (sorry for the bad memory)

                  I had one for Palm OS long ago, and it worked well enough on Palm-based phones; you can find everything from the screenshots to the binaries to the source (in Forth!) here:

                  It was fun to write, but executed slowly. This group actually started as a tech support forum for that bit of freeware.

                  Later I wrote TinyELF for OS X to learn Objective-C. I've had a few false starts on porting the core to an iOS version, but keeping up with the day job and increasing caregiver responsibilities has been a challenge over the last few years. Maybe when I retire…

                  Dave
                • William Donnelly
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 14, 2013
                    That's, right. PDA not smart phone. Although Palm OS was used in a lot of devices.
                    And in 2009, after Palm was purchased by HP, it became HPwebOS, then made open source.
                    There was also something to do with Windows CE. Maybe later devices used that. (Pocket PC's?)

                    I was never big on PDA's. I had an inexpensive one at some point, but I can't even remember
                    what brand it was or anything. That must have been in the mid to late 1990's. It wasn't
                    very powerful and you couldn't do much with it. Just held phone numbers and a calendar and
                    that sort of thing. It might have synced with a PC.

                    So what would you suggest to run TinyElf on? If we can get an old PDA. The last Palm PDA's
                    had a color screen. Is there some minimal and maximal version it will run on?
                    There isn't a lot of info on your site about that. Just a ZIP file to download.
                    Maybe a Palm m500 series? A Palm m500, m505, m515? (OS 4.x; OS 5.x?)

                    It looks like there MIGHT be Palm OS simulators for Windows.

                    I didn't pay much attention to TinyElf because it runs on Palm OS and Macs.
                    And I never looked at it because it's written in Forth. (which, as we all know, is 'evil' ;o)

                    – Bill

                    On 4/14/2013 10:02 PM, Dave Ruske wrote:

[...]

                    __._,_

                  • Dave Ruske
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                      On Apr 15, 2013, at 1:43 AM, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:
                      That's, right. PDA not smart phone. Although Palm OS was used in a lot of devices.
                      And in 2009, after Palm was purchased by HP, it became HPwebOS, then made open source.
                      There was also something to do with Windows CE. Maybe later devices used that. (Pocket PC's?)

                      WebOS was the successor to Palm OS, but the two are completely different platforms. HP bought Palm largely for WebOS; by then, Palm OS was pretty well dead.

                      So what would you suggest to run TinyElf on? If we can get an old PDA. The last Palm PDA's
                      had a color screen. Is there some minimal and maximal version it will run on?
                      There isn't a lot of info on your site about that. Just a ZIP file to download.
                      Maybe a Palm m500 series? A Palm m500, m505, m515? (OS 4.x; OS 5.x?)

                      TinyELF ran on Palm OS, and I if I recall correctly it ran on Palm OS 3.0 and up. Listing compatibility wasn't much of an issue back then, because almost any Palm device on the market was running 3.0 or better. TinyELF was happy with either a monochrome or color display, and used the standard 160x160 resolution supported across all devices. It was developed on a Palm Vx, so one of the m500 series devices would run it fine.

                      I don't really recommend bothering with TinyELF for Palm OS; I no longer support it beyond making its remnants available to curious parties. It runs very slowly; I had calculated that the m505 ran it at the equivalent of an 1802 clocked at 90 KHz.

                      Dave

                    • system3025
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                        I wrote an Elf simulator app for my Android tablet. Well it's not quite finished. You can enter programs with the switches and run it and you can save and load programs in the Intel hex format. I tried to make it look close to the original Elf from the Popular Electronics article. If anyone's interested I can post some screenshot of it running on my nexus 7 tablet.

                        Mike

                      • William Donnelly
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                          Yes, please do. And more info would be nice, like programming language / system, etc.
                          No web page for it?

                          – Bill

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                            OK I'll post some screenshots in a min. I wrote it with Basic4Android. It's a visual basic like programming environment for Android devices.

                            Mike

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:

                            > Yes, please do. And more info would be nice, like programming language /
                            > system, etc.
                            > No web page for it?
                            >
                            > -- Bill
                            >
                            > On 4/16/2013 10:39 AM, system3025 wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I wrote an Elf simulator app for my Android tablet. Well it's
                            > > not quite finished. You can enter programs with the switches and run
                            > > it and you can save and load programs in the Intel hex format. I tried
                            > > to make it look close to the original Elf from the Popular
                            > > Electronics article. If anyone's interested I can post some screenshot
                            > > of it running on my nexus 7 tablet.
                            > >

                            > > Mike

                          • system3025
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                              I uploaded some screenshots. I guess they have to be approved by the group's moderators first.

                              Mike

                              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, system3025 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > OK I'll post some screenshots in a min. I wrote it with Basic4Android. It's a visual basic like programming environment for Android devices.
                              >
                              > Mike
                              >
                              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Yes, please do. And more info would be nice, like programming language /
                              > > system, etc.
                              > > No web page for it?
                              > >
                              > > -- Bill
                              > >
                              > > On 4/16/2013 10:39 AM, system3025 wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I wrote an Elf simulator app for my Android tablet. Well it's
                              > > > not quite finished. You can enter programs with the switches and run
                              > > > it and you can save and load programs in the Intel hex format. I tried
                              > > > to make it look close to the original Elf from the Popular
                              > > > Electronics article. If anyone's interested I can post some screenshot
                              > > > of it running on my nexus 7 tablet.
                              > > >

                              > > > Mike

                            • system3025
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                                Well the screenshots are up now. What do you think of it? I started it about a year ago. I got it somewhat working and got bored with it and I haven't worked on it for awhile. I do that a lot. :) The editor and debug views aren't working yet. I was planning on writing a quick and dirty dis/assembler to edit code in memory and I was wanting to write a debugger so I can single-step and watch the internal registers, I/O, and memory.

                                It has some problems. I'm doing some things to make it run as fast as possible that Android doesn't like. If you exit the app while it's running it will crash the device. Right now it's running fairly fast. It's over 1MHz.

                                I think the 1802 simulator is working correct. I wrote it from the instruction descriptions in the "User Manual for the CDP1802 COSMAC Microprocessor". I've only test it by running all of the code I could find posted here and on the net. Everything worked so far. I would like to find 1802 code to test all of the instructions though.

                                Mike

                                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, system3025 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                > I uploaded some screenshots. I guess they have to be approved by the group's moderators first.
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >
                                > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, system3025 <no_reply@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > OK I'll post some screenshots in a min. I wrote it with Basic4Android. It's a visual basic like programming environment for Android devices.
                                > >
                                > > Mike
                                > >
                                > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Yes, please do. And more info would be nice, like programming language /
                                > > > system, etc.
                                > > > No web page for it?
                                > > >
                                > > > -- Bill

                              • William Donnelly
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                                  That's nice.

                                  Feel free to use the graphics at my SimElf if you want to make it
                                  look more like the original Elf. You probably don't really have the screen space,
                                  though. Although I would think you could make it look pretty close vertical
                                  rather than horizontal. A lot of the graphic space is unused, although I use it
                                  for additional functionality links to other things. And the only thing you really
                                  need to be able to see is the hex output LEDs and that the switches are switches.

                                  I wouldn't mind getting your graphics, either, although they might be pretty small.

                                  You did a couple of things I planned to do, but still haven't done.
                                  Adding a 7-segment display and 8 LED's display option. And the EFn switches.
                                  And I talked to Lee about making an MC display option.
                                  All pretty easy to do.
                                  I need to get back to that and work on it some more.

                                  And I like the sound of that Basic4Android.
                                  It's not too expensive. If I had an Android I would get it just to play around.
                                  Maybe make some apps. I love to program in BASIC.
                                  http://www.basic4ppc.com/android/purchase.html

                                  Apparently no one was interested in working on the 1802 Exerciser program
                                  as a group project. So it will have to wait until I get around to it.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                                    There have been a large number of speculative 1802 projects discussed here in the last month so it is probably hard for people to figure which one to get excited about.

                                    The 1802 Exerciser seems like a great project as does the Super FPGA 1802. I am personally looking forward to a turnkey USB interface for my 1802 MC computer. :-)

                                    Great times for the 1802. Fun!

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                                      All of the graphic except the 7-seg display are from picture I taken of real items. The 7-seg display I made with gimp. All of the displays are 90x128 pixels and the switches are 80x70.

                                      Yeah, Basic4android is great. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to write app for Android. I've wrote several app for Android with Java but it so much faster with Basic4android.

                                      Mike

                                    • jdrose_8_bit
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 17, 2013
                                        Hey, that is pretty nifty. I like the display options. Flexibility you cannot easily do with real hardware.

                                        Now that you know there is an interest in Elf running on Android perhaps you will be interested in getting it finished. That would be cool.