Mini-MC Project

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1 7:56 PM
    • 22 KB
    I wanted to announce this yesterday, but it wasn't ready.

    So here it is. Finally completed. See attached image.

    A Membership Card inside of an Altoids Small can.

    I had to remove a few things, like the port connector, and
    move things around a little, and use surface mount chips.
    It was a pretty tight fit.

    Like Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small grouping of
    concentrated chips
    can miniaturize the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

    – Bill
  • Josh Bensadon
    Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1 8:19 PM
      Wow! That's amazing! It looks great!

      Say, this isn't just some kind of April Fools joke is it?

      What's next? MC in a tic tac?

      > I wanted to announce this yesterday, but it wasn't ready.
      >
      > So here it is. Finally completed. See attached image.
      >
      > A Membership Card inside of an Altoids Small can.
      >
      > I had to remove a few things, like the port connector, and
      > move things around a little, and use surface mount chips.
      > It was a pretty tight fit.
      >
      > Like Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small grouping
      > of
      > concentrated chips
      > can miniaturize the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that
      > ever has."
      >
      > – Bill

      >     cosmacelf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • William Donnelly
      Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1 9:55 PM
        ;o)

        – Bill
      • Mark Graybill
        Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1 10:56 PM
          Lessee, the tin is about 1x2x1/3 inches. After putting in the 40 pin DIP with well trimmed leads, that doesn't leave much space. Especially since the rounding at the corners pushes the DIP toward the center.

          Personally, I'd probaly be driven to the coward's way out of dropping in a modern SOIC, or a bare chip (said to be available for the 1802, likely relatively expensive.) Plus capacitive or light-sensitive switches, as there's no room inside for mechanical ones.

          On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:
          <*>[Attachment(s) from William Donnelly included below]

          I wanted to announce this yesterday, but it wasn't ready.

          So here it is. Finally completed. See attached image.

          A Membership Card inside of an Altoids Small can.

          I had to remove a few things, like the port connector, and
          move things around a little, and use surface mount chips.
          It was a pretty tight fit.

          Like Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small grouping of
          concentrated chips
          can miniaturize the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

          – Bill

          <*>Attachment(s) from William Donnelly:

            <*> minimc20130401.jpg

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              cosmacelf-digest@yahoogroups.com
              cosmacelf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Cristian Arezzini

              Message 7 of 25 , Apr 2 5:05 AM
                Very nifty. Robbie the Robot, meet Minnie Mint! --
                Tom

                Message 8 of 25 , Apr 2 10:43 AM
                  On 4/2/2013 3:58 AM, Cristian Arezzini wrote:
                  > By the way... April's fools aside... If one really wanted to save space,
                  > I suppose he could "eat away" most of the processor's "black body",
                  > exposing the inner connections and soldering pins or wires to them...

                  Since the 1802 is still in production, and everyone today wants surface
                  mount, the 1802 is available in surface mount packages.

                  Or, you could build this using the PIC emulator and its surrounding
                  circuit (again, probably with surface mount parts).

                  --
                  Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the
                  complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus
                  Message 9 of 25 , Apr 2 6:24 PM

                    > ...the 1802 is available in surface mount packages.

                    Oh?
                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 10 of 25 , Apr 2 6:43 PM
                      From a prior posting:

                      <http://www.cosmacvip.com/>

                      73 de Ray

                      On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:24 PM, jdrose_8_bit wrote:

                      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Lee Hart <leeahart@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> ...the 1802 is available in surface mount packages.
                      >>

                      > Oh?
                      >

                      > ------------------------------------

                      > Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.comYahoo!
                      > Groups Links

                    • jdrose_8_bit
                      Message 11 of 25 , Apr 2 6:52 PM
                        Impressive. That is seriously cool.

                        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

                        > From a prior posting:
                        >
                        > <http://www.cosmacvip.com/>
                        >
                        > 73 de Ray

                      • William Donnelly
                        Message 12 of 25 , Apr 2 7:55 PM
                          Is that considered "surface mount"? (PLCC?)

                          It's not typically socketed.

                          I wonder why they made it so big. Standard sized?

                          Now-a-days they could probably put 100 1802's on a 40-pin size chip.
                          Maybe 1,000, or more. (standard 40-pin, or 44-pin PLCC)

                          Of course, then you have the number of pins issue.

                          When I think of SM, I think of tiny chips with really small pins, like you
                          see in calculators and things like that.

                          The PLCC 1802 seems bigger than the DIP package.

                          I missed that this was a SM PLCC 1802.
                          I thought he created one using FPGA or something.
                          Doh!

                          – Bill
                        • urrossum@att.net
                          Message 13 of 25 , Apr 2 9:24 PM
                            > > ...the 1802 is available in surface mount packages.
                            > >

                            > Oh?

                            CDP1802ACQ, CDP1802BCQ (PLCC44). Not too easy to find...
                            ~~
                            Mark Moulding
                          • Mark Graybill
                            Message 14 of 25 , Apr 3 12:16 AM
                              Rochester Electronics has two ACQs in stock. Other than that, you may have to get together an order for a production run.

                              I'd love to see an 1802 in MLF, but I'd have to pay someone to put it on the board for me. Dreaming of an "Elf Stamp", (ot MC Stamp) here. ;)

                              Mark G, W8BIT

                              Message 15 of 25 , Apr 3 4:51 AM
                                Hey, that is a neat project.

                                I think I recall seeing the 1802 in that package before. I guess surface mount does not come to mind when I see a PLCC package. Surface mount has a different type of pin and can be soldered directly to the PCB. No socket required. At least that is what I thought. Maybe I do not understand the complete meaning of the nomenclature.

                                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

                                > From a prior posting:
                                >
                                > <http://www.cosmacvip.com/>
                                >
                                > 73 de Ray
                                >
                                > On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:24 PM, jdrose_8_bit wrote:
                                >

                                > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Lee Hart <leeahart@> wrote:
                                > >>
                                > >> ...the 1802 is available in surface mount packages.
                                > >>

                                > > Oh?

                                > > Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.comYahoo!
                                > > Groups Links

                              • jdrose_8_bit
                                Message 16 of 25 , Apr 3 6:33 AM
                                  That would be cool. Been dreaming about that myself.

                                  The Arduino UNO has spoiled me. :-)

                                  Plug the UNO into the USB. Type in your Sketch, compile and the UNO is programmed automatically. It works very well.

                                  Something like the UNO but with a 1802 core instead of Atmel is what I was thinking. A stamp form would be cool too but I have a hard time imagining an 1802 based one being that small.

                                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Mark Graybill <saundby@...> wrote:

                                  > Dreaming of an "Elf Stamp", (ot MC Stamp) here. ;)
                                  >
                                  > Mark G, W8BIT

                                • jdrose_8_bit
                                  Message 17 of 25 , Apr 3 11:58 AM
                                    "Olduino: A small computer loosely based on the Arduino but using one of the early microprocessors from the first years of hobby and home-brew computing. In this case, the RCA Cosmac 1802 processor."

                                    Oh, OK, that is a neat project. Some pretty heady code listed at the webpage. I will have to follow along with his progress. Looks quite interesting.

                                    Message 18 of 25 , Apr 3 12:27 PM
                                      jdrose_8_bit wrote:
                                      > Something like the UNO but with an 1802 core instead of Atmel is what
                                      > I was thinking.

                                      I think that's what Bill Rowe is working on with his Olduino. It's what
                                      I would have done with the Membership Card if I knew C and knew how to
                                      use USB!

                                      Other than the USB part, it's all software. You can make any micro work
                                      with a user interface like the Arduino uses.
                                      --
                                      If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
                                      -- Albert Einstein
                                      Message 19 of 25 , Apr 4 9:45 AM
                                        46! Wow, RCA really *was* ahead of their time!

                                        Someone needs to correct that Wikipedia article on Intel's 4004… :)

                                        Dave

                                        On Apr 4, 2013, at 11:45 AM, Lee Hart <leeahart@...> wrote:
                                        jdrose_8_bit wrote:
                                        > The 1802 MC computer is now 8 years old. That is almost prehistoric
                                        > in computer time. :-)

                                        Eight? Ha! It's a copy of the Elf which is now 46 years old! :-)

                                        Message 20 of 25 , Apr 4 9:45 AM
                                          jdrose_8_bit wrote:
                                          > The 1802 MC computer is now 8 years old. That is almost prehistoric
                                          > in computer time. :-)

                                          Eight? Ha! It's a copy of the Elf which is now 46 years old! :-)

                                          > Perhaps it is time for you to design a new small modern 1802
                                          > computer. With it's primary use as a microcontroller in mind. They
                                          > seem to be the all the rage now.

                                          That is pretty much what the Elf always was, and what I already did with
                                          the Membership Card.

                                          > I personally cannot get used to working with surface mount
                                          > components. I get an almost irrational amount of joy when I look at
                                          > your 1802 MC computers that I assembled. I love the look of the
                                          > large, "old fashioned", through hole components it has. It uses
                                          > component types that I grew up on. And that was the intent. But I can
                                          > see the appeal of the smaller, less expensive surface mount
                                          > components.

                                          The market is already flooded with small microcontrollers. Almost all of
                                          them are surface mount. That's what is fashionable, and what the
                                          factories in China can crank out cheaply. There is no way I can compete
                                          in that arena.

                                          Of course, they are throwaways. You aren't intended to built it
                                          yourself, nor to fix it yourself. Someone else designed it, built it,
                                          and programmed it for you. 99% of the hardware you use with it will be
                                          purchased, and 99% of the software you will run on it someone else wrote.

                                          I like the Elf because I built it, and I programmed it. I can fix it,
                                          and I can expand it to do what I want! If I have to resort to just
                                          buying stuff because it's cheap and everyone else does it that way, it's
                                          not fun any more!

                                          It's the difference between going to McDonald's for a "wonderful" dinner
                                          because it's cheap and easy and is what everyone else does, and staying
                                          home and making yourself a dinner that you actually like and is good for
                                          you.
                                          --
                                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man
                                          persists
                                          Message 21 of 25 , Apr 4 10:11 AM
                                            I think he accidently touched the wrong calculator key. In any case it has been a number of decades. If my arithmetic is correct, the Elf will turn 37 years old in August of 2013.

                                            Message 22 of 25 , Apr 4 12:19 PM
                                              On 4/4/2013 10:45 AM, Dave Ruske wrote:
                                              > 46! Wow, RCA really *was* ahead of their time!

                                              Oops! Rassle frassin fumble finger digititis... Of course that should be
                                              36 years (dating from the Aug 1976 Popular Electronics Elf article). The
                                              Microtutors precede that by a year or so.

                                              --
                                              Ring the bells that still can ring
                                              Forget your perfect offering
                                              Message 23 of 25 , Apr 4 6:25 PM
                                                36 years old (plus) technology; in today's computer life line, it should have been long extinct by now, however the CDP1802 CPU's are still being manufactured today. Kind of makes you wonder why. Just my two cents.

                                                Chuck

                                                > Oops! Rassle frassin fumble finger digititis... Of course that should be
                                                > 36 years (dating from the Aug 1976 Popular Electronics Elf article). The
                                                > Microtutors precede that by a year or so.
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Ring the bells that still can ring
                                                > Forget your perfect offering
                                                > There is a crack in everything
                                                > That's how the light gets in.
                                                > -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
                                                > --
                                                > Lee A. Hart, http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm

                                              • jdrose_8_bit
                                                Message 24 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
                                                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Mark Graybill <saundby@...> wrote:

                                                  > Rochester Electronics has two ACQs in stock. Other than that, you may have
                                                  > to get together an order for a production run.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'd love to see an 1802 in MLF, but I'd have to pay someone to put it on
                                                  > the board for me. Dreaming of an "Elf Stamp", (ot MC Stamp) here. ;)
                                                  >
                                                  > Mark G, W8BIT

                                                  http://www.rocelec.com/search/all/CDP1802BCQ/0/1/contains/

                                                  That is interesting. They have a notice for the CDP1802BCQ that says "Rochester is authorized and licensed to manufacture this device. Please complete the RFQ form or call your local Rochester sales office or email sales to learn more."

                                                  Wonder what a minimum order would be for them to make more?
                                                  Message 25 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
                                                    I checked, they do have 2 but they want $50 for them(minimum order I guess) If they were the higher speed BCQs, maybe...

                                                    To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                                                    From: rarecoinbuyer@...
                                                    Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:20:20 +0000
                                                    Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Mini-MC Project