16-bit 1802 hybrid?

  • country_robot
    Message 1 of 63 , Apr 1, 2013
      I've been noodling around an idea for running two 1802 chips as quasi-parallel processors where one is dedicated to the upper byte of 16-bit operations and the other to the lower byte. The idea is to use the MSB processor (in most cases) to do the fetches of real 8-bit opcodes, while the LSB processor gets fed either the same or suitably altered opcodes.

      As I see it, it's a matter of finding an efficient external way to keep track of what the DF value is for the LSB for instructions that can change it -- adds, subtracts, and rotates -- and then fiddling with the relative clock phases of the MSB and LSB processors so that for those DF-modifying instructions are completed in the LSB chip before allowing the MSB chip to complete the equivalent operation.

      The "easiest" cases are the add and subtract instructions. The LSB performs these instructions with little or no modification, and an external DF flip-flop -- call it DFL -- acts as a carry-in to the MSB chip. Now, getting that carry bit into the MSB processor is a bit more involved.

      I've considered several options, but the simplest seems to be an 8-bit presettable UP/DOWN counter with a tristate register. The counter gets the B-register add/subtract value from memory, then, depending on DFL and the instruction being executed is incremented, decremented, or left unchanged before being switched onto the MSB processor data bus, whence the MSB chip completes its execution.

      Shift instructions might require as little as keeping track of the MSB and LSB bits of both D registers, provided a clever way can be thought of to sneak those values into their proper destinations to make the two D registers behave as if they are part of a 16-bit + carry bidirectional shift register.

      Anyway, that's as far as I've managed to blue-sky this idea.

      -Bobby
    • David Keith
      Message 63 of 63 , Mar 10
        I am have a sense of  deja vu   :-)  about 2 years ago?