Re: [cosmacelf] Re: ebay vintage computers

  • David Keith
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 26, 2013
    Josh, The smallest quantity they could make was 4 on a 4 X 10 sheet for $140 + shipping, ouch !! (but it's my baby).  I took a photo of the name plate off of the Internet, scaled it to size and then manually outlined the lettering & logo with Corel Draw (they needed a vector file) and colored it by sampling the photo.  It turned out pretty nice, IMHO.  I took an 1" x 1/16" aluminum strip from Home Depot and hand polished it about 20 times to get the shine I wanted.  See attached photos.  The rub-ons cost about $38 apiece.  I was thinking about making more name plates to sell, but have not done so.  The hardest part is aligning it on the metal strip before rubbing it on with a #2 pencil.  If you want one of the rub-ons, I'll let it go for cost + shipping.

    Message 44 of 44 , Mar 28, 2013
      > From: William Donnelly <william@...>
      > Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: ebay vintage computers
      > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      > Some body got a pretty good deal at
      > ~$2K.
      >
      > – Bill

      Re: The Altair that sold for $2,045.

      I guess there's lots of demand, but the supply is coming. There's another Altair with a BIN price of $2,395. And that Altair has the original MITS cards and name plate, very impressive.

      :)