Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Programmer's Guide to the 1802

  • /M
    Message 1 of 90 , Mar 24 4:40 AM
    Here we go!

    Magnus

    PS. Can I have a bid on my book?! Lets start at $250 .... Just joking, but IF it wasn't a violation of copycats, I'd run the book in the scanner for you.

    From: rarecoinbuyer@...
    Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 17:40:33 +0000
    Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Programmer's Guide to the 1802

    That is interesting.

    There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of Programmer's Guides for the 6502, Z80, 68000, etc....however, other than Mr. Pittman's article, I do not ever recall seeing a third party guide to programming the 1802.

    Would be neat if Mr. Swan would allow the book to be available in PDF form. I would read it.

    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:

    > For those interested in such things. Here is an ad in Infoworld (magazine),
    > September 28, 1981, p. 20, for the book, "Programmer's Guide to the 1802",
    > offered by the Hayden Book Company, Inc.
    >
    > Here are images of the ad and the whole page:
    >
    > http://www.mdcccii.com/docs/images/infoworld_19810928_p20_24b_pg1802.png
    >
    > http://www.mdcccii.com/docs/images/infoworld_19810928_p20_8b.png
    >
    > For archival and historical reference, here is the ad text:
    >
    > PROGRAMMER'S GUIDE TO THE 1802 (With An Assembler For Your Machine)
    > (Swan) /The only assembly language primer that has an assembler!/
    > Everything from the binary number system and the fundamentals of machine
    > language,
    > to the development of a working 1802 assembler. Simply written in
    > non-technical
    > language, the text is intended for the beginner, but contains
    > information that will be
    > appreciated by experts.
    > *5183-2, $7.95*
    >
    > – Bill

  • Adam Trionfo
    Message 90 of 90 , Apr 6, 2013
      On Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 pm, atrionfo wrote:

      I went ahead and dropped that InterLibrary Loan off for "Programmer's Guide to the 1802." I'm now a buck poorer, but the bonus is that within a couple of weeks I should be able to stop by the library and pick up the book.

      My InterLibrary loan came in today.  I went to the library and picked it up.  So, for one dollar I have borrowed "Programmer's Guide to the 1802" through May 21, 2013.  Not a bad deal!  Despite its age, the book looks nearly new.  I haven't had time yet to do anything but glance through it yet.

      The first chapter is called "A System of Numbers-- A Number of Systems."  The first subtitle is called "1010 Little Indians."  Without further reading I smiled broadly.  I love binary system jokes/puns.  The classic one is "There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

      When I take a closer look at the book I'll give my thoughts on it.

      Adam