RE: [cosmacelf] Re: Interesting Pop Elec COSMAC Elf+ model

  • Josh Bensadon
    Message 1 of 85 , Mar 22, 2013
      Hi Bill,

      I'm testing the picture inline with a response feature... hope it works.

      6114 - Look at blue switch in upper left.  What you don't see (and are asking about) is under the blue paddle.  You can see what would normally be the threaded round part of those switches, but it's not threaded, it's just a round cylinder shaped tube.  Coming out of that part is the shaft of the switch, it looks like the regular "Bat" style arm, but it's only 1/2 the length and instead of tapering to the shape of a bat, it's a fixed diameter arm, with a 45 degree chamfer at the tip and a small groove about 2mm down from the tip.

      :)
      Josh

      From: jgalinat@...
      Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 20:35:56 -0400

      Hi Josh (& all),
        There is one problem.  Even though Todd still has the switches listed on the IMSAI website, he has no more blue switches or paddles.  I tried to order some yesterday as my IMSAI 8080 is missing 2 blue paddles but I am out of luck.  He said it would cost $3000 for an order of the blue paddles so he wasn't going to order more as they don't move that quickly.  He said he has plenty of the red paddles.  I checked the NKK paddles on Mouser and the dimensions look identical but the red & blue appears a little lighter shade.  At 75 cents per paddle, I ordered enough to replace all the switch paddles if need be so the front panel would appear consistent.
      Regards,
      Jeff

      On 3/21/2013 6:14 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, bill rowe <bill_rowe_ottawa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wow - i have always wanted a front panel with those big paddle switches.
      > >

      > The would be fun. An ELF with an IMSAI type cabinet.
      >
      > I wonder if there is a source for those paddle switches anymore?

      Yes, you can buy the exact same switches direct from IMSAI.

      http://www.imsai.net/parts/parts.htm

      Only $275 for a set of 22.

      I'd like to get a spare set for my system, but I don't have $275 of spending money yet.

    • jdrose_8_bit
      Message 85 of 85 , Mar 30, 2013
        Indeed. I was thinking the same thing.

        I think the most chips I have ever bought at one time was 10. A lot of 4017s I bought on eBay for model train project. Luckily, they all worked as promised.