RE: [cosmacelf] Re: Mini Boot Strap]

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 19, 2013
    I have a few boards left that I'd be happy to let people have.  They do require soldering a couple of surface mount chips and programming the avr.  I'd be willing to do the surface mount soldering and program the avr but I'd have to recover the parts cost.

    On the PC(or mac) you really just need avrdude(part of arduino) to load hex files but the setup I'm using with textpad, the c compiler, and a terminal program is pretty sweet.  You need a usb-serial cable to connect the olduino to the PC.

    You can see the board image and schematic here. https://olduino.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/version-2-hardware/

    Oh, and I converted my membership card to female headers and added an extra couple to bring up other signals(currently just N0).  Here's a picture of the olduino board beside the MC cpu card.

    For people who have used arduinos this probably all seems perfectly reasonable.  For others, it may be too much fuss. It does work splendidly though.

    > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
    > From: leeahart@...
    > Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:29:46 -0600
    > Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Mini Boot Strap]
    >
    > On 3/19/2013 5:50 AM, bill rowe wrote:
    > >

    > > Not to blow my own horn but you can't imagine how slick it is to have
    > > the code-and-go experience with the olduino. It is SO neat to be able
    > > to: crib code from the arduino, pic or whatever; hook up
    > > off-the-shelf-peripherals like rangefinders, lcds, clock chips, ethernet
    > > cards etc; push a button and have the code compiled and squirted down to
    > > the MC in seconds; stick in debugging prints and extra routines within
    > > the C language; tear up your project and start over when a new idea strikes.
    > >
    > > The MC cpu card is a great platform because it's compact and reliable.
    > > The olduino card makes it compact reliable and useful(for some
    > > definitions of useful!).
    > >
    > > The current generation of olduino hardware is not going to appeal to
    > > everyone but a new front panel or an adapter for the old one that let
    > > you do code-and-go over a usb->serial cable would be a great addition to
    > > the MC.
    >
    > Bill, what do we need to do to turn your Olduino into a "finished
    > product"? For instance, I can layout a PC board, if I know what circuit
    > you need on it.
    >
    > --
    > For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, obvious,
    > and wrong. -- H.L. Mencken
    > --
    > Lee A. Hart, http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm

    > <*> Your email settings:
    > Individual Email | Traditional
    >
    > <*> To change settings online go to:
    > (Yahoo! ID required)
    >
    > <*> To change settings via email:
    > cosmacelf-digest@yahoogroups.com
    > cosmacelf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  • Patrick Draper
    Message 2 of 16 , Mar 19, 2013
      On 03/19/2013 11:05 AM, Kevin wrote:
      > Patrick, Just buy a $9 USB to RS-232 adapter off the shelf and you've solved the issue.

      I have one of those, they definitely work very well. I think there was a
      question about using a port without any extra hardware.

      --
      Patrick Draper Austin, Texas
      pdrap@...