ANN: Project VIP : Elf/Cosmac VIP/Studio 2 Emulator in Hardware.

  • paul31415926536
    Message 1 of 59 , Mar 15, 2013
      I have been working on my hardware-based Cosmac VIP / Elf / Studio 2 emulator and have got most of it working :) I want to revamp the keypad code and find a better way of uploading files into RAM memory.

      It is an Arduino Uno or Mega2560 (the main difference is the amount of RAM available - 1.5k on an Uno, 6.5k on a Mega2560 due to internal SRAM limitations) with a couple of resistors, a piezo buzzer and a keypad.

      The video shows the Cosmac VIP version running "Brix" on Chip-8 then the VIP Monitor running. The sound is not recorded (though it works fine) and the display is solid - on the video some bits flash which is the video recording/processing, not the system itself).

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPmuAxOcXk
      Message 59 of 59 , Mar 21, 2013
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "jdrose_8_bit" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

        > What about those plastic ID cards that have the magnetic strip on them. Wonder if they would hold 256 bytes of program code?

        Magstripe ABA format for Track 1... is "Up to 79 ALPHA 7-bit (including parity) characters (alphanumeric) including SS, ES and LRC."

        Taken from:
        http://www.gae.ucm.es/~padilla/extrawork/tracks.html

        I have a number of magstripe card readers if anyone wants one to play with, I'll be happy to send one for just the price of postage.

        > I also like the idea of a punched paper reader. That would be a hoot.

        Agreed!

        > (There is a fellow on YouTube who made a complete computer out of relays. Including a printed paper reader to load programs.)
        > https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nDJTVGIzOPU#t=315s

        Very cool video! Nicely made computer. I definitely have to build one of those some day!

        :)J