Re: [cosmacelf] Re: CDP 1802/4/5/6 ICEing on the cake

  • William Donnelly
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 1 8:17 PM
      You can only do ROM breakpoints with an emulator or simulator or a hardware debugger.

      One interesting way to do a hardware-software debugger is to have the CPU
      interrupt be executed after one instruction is executed. This would work
      when interrupts aren't being used, or probably if interrupts are being used
      and you do some extra work.

      One nice way to do breakpoints in the 1802 is to use a dedicated 16-bit
      register as a breakpoint using SEP Rn. Before you run or single-step the code,
      you exchange all of the breakpoint addresses with that value and save what
      was stored in each one so it can be restored after a breakpoint.

      This is only for an execution breakpoint, and won't work for memory reference BP's.

      You can also use it to single-step by intelligently looking at the next instruction
      and setting breakpoints where needed to stop after the next instruction. This takes
      some good intelligence because of what can happen in the next instruction execution.
      ((conditional) branches, (conditional) long skips, SEP instructions, etc.)

      – Bill

      On 3/1/2013 4:25 PM, Kevin wrote:

      One should be able to set breakpoints when running code from ROM. This would dictate that an ICE have a list of breakpoint addresses instead of needing to alter the code undergoing testing.

      Modern debuggers also allow conditional breakpoints, which would be extremely nice!

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "urrossum@..." wrote:

      > > > the otherwise unused 68h... Does anyone know what a *real* 1802 does
      > > > when it encounters this instruction?
      > >
      > > That's easy! :-) Notice that 69-6F are the INP instructions? They put
      > <...clip of excellent explanation..>
      >
      > Thanks, Lee! That makes perfect sense, and also affirms that I can use this instruction with impunity, since it should be of no use to any existing software.
      > ~~
      > Mark Moulding

    • Tom
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 5 6:19 AM
        Dave Jones did a review of the TL866CS on his EEVBLOG.

        - Tom