RE: [cosmacelf] Olduino ethernet success

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      you're right david, the wiznet seems to do a lot more.  I went with the module I chose because it was $10 and the smaller form factor seemed like it would be easier to adapt to the olduino.  I am a big fan of the spi serial bus so i was happy the enc supported that.  In the end it was a gratifyingly hack-y thing to do and i don't regret my choice(much).  I'll keep plugging at this thing til I hit a wall.  If you get something going with the wiznet maybe we can link them up.

      To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      From: david.schultz@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:27:14 -0600
      Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Olduino ethernet success

      On 02/28/2013 07:04 PM, bill rowe wrote:

      > I thought the enc thingie was doing much the same as the wiznet does. It
      > manages the ethernet for collisions i guess and you set its registers to
      > limit what packets it takes in. I would say it handles all the physical
      > layer and it understands the packets enough to filter them on mac and ip
      > address. It won't do anything like respond to an arp request.

      The W5100 takes care of many details with built in IP, TCP, and UDP. I
      haven't written any code for it yet but I did Google up an example:

      http://www.seanet.com/~karllunt/w5100_library.html

      One thing I liked about it is it has a memory mapped interface (32K)
      that would be a lot faster on an 1802 than serial.

      --
      David W. Schultz
      Returned for Regrooving