LED/Keyboard Modules from DealExtreme

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 53 KB
    I came across these modules on the DealExtreme web site.  http://dx.com/p/8x-digital-tube-8x-key-8x-double-color-led-module-81873

    For 6.99(!) you get 8 seven segment displays, 8 leds that can be red or green and 8 switches.  They run on 5 volts and you control them over a two wire connection with a protocol that's more-or-less SPI.  You can read the state of the buttons and set all the leds and segments individually.  They come with connectors at either end and a section of ribbon cable that you can use to daisy chain them with each one being individually controlled. Unbelievable value and quite reto looking  although I can't really think of what the original purpose was.

    I hooked one up to the olduino, stole some code from an arduino library and voila: blinkenlights.  I posted a video and the code on the olduino web site.  You can get a look at the (somewhat clunky) inline assembler.
    http://olduino.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/olduino-and-tm1638-led-module/

    I would still be playing with this thing except I want to nail down the bithday version of the compiler before I move on to my next hardware target - An Ethernet adapter.

  • William Donnelly
    Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      That's very cool. I need to get my act together and start doing stuff.

      – Bill

      On 2/13/2013 2:06 PM, bill rowe wrote:

      {snip}