Manuals for COSMAC VIP

  • dwitt3234
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      I folks, I noticed that there were a number of messages in which
      people expressed an interest in manuals for the COSMAC VIP. I
      contacted Lee Hart off the list for a copy but have since noticed
      that some of you are planning to copy and scan the manuals. I would
      like to contribute ($) to this effort as I would also like a copy.
      I would like to get copies (electronic or otherwise) of "RCA COSMAC
      VIP CDP18S711 Instruction Manual" and the RCA COSMAC VIP User's
      guide." I have an original of "RCA MICROPROCESSORS 1800 - Users
      Manual for the CDP1802 COSMAC Microprocessor" that I could copy or
      scan and contribute. I don't have any OCR software. I'm not sure
      who is co-ordinating this effort but I think I've seen the name Bill
      (dot) Rowe.

      Bill,
      Can I help or contribute.

      Thanks
      David Witt
      david_at_davidwitt.com
      Oakville, Ontario
    • Bill.Rowe
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        Ok - I've offered to scan and load a complete VIP manual provided by Lee
        Hart.
        If I can do a good job at that maybe someone else can tackle some of the
        others.
        I'm a bit worried about the size of the files though. I have an old
        photocopy of VP-710. A games-only supplement to the "RCA COSMAC VIP
        Instruction Manual" which Lee has. My copy is old and a bit faint but the
        games are printed in a dot-matrix font which really doesn't OCR worth a
        darn. A raw scan suitable for printing looks like it would zip to say 200K
        a page. Times 120 pages that's 24 meg! Anyway, let's give it a go!

        Bill Rowe

        Per Lee:
        The VIP manual is 120 pages, and covers quite a lot of ground: Setup,
        operation, CHIP-8 programming, machine-language programming, theory of
        operation, expansion, troubleshooting, complete schematics, listings for
        CHIP-8 and the monitor ROM, PC board layout, about 20 games, and data
        sheets for the 1802 and 1861."