Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Maybe a 1802 laptop ??

  • Andrew Wasson
    Message 1 of 140 , Jan 7, 2013
      I agree, a modern ELF wouldn't be a bad project at all which is why Robert Armstrong built the ELF2K some time ago and my guess is that the ELF2K would be a good place to start your super computer.

      Out of the box, it runs the established low speed so that it is compatible with the Pixie chip but that isn't necessary if you don't use the Pixie graphics controller. I'd up the ante and put in a CDP1802BCE that runs 5Mhz.

      * If you want a more advanced card, I'd look at what Quinn Dunkie is doing with her Veronica 6502 based computer. I've been following her video controller project with interest (about 5 posts on video lead up to this page): http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1154

      That should get you more than half way there. I think the hardware will be the easier side of the coin, the difficult part will be writing the OS and drivers to go along with it. I've got a bunch of 1804 chips looking for a home in a multi-processor ELF type computer.

      Andrew

      On 2013-01-07, at 8:48 AM, Richard wrote:

      How about designing a modernized Elf first? A common architechture to build and to write programs for.

      - Run the processor with full 3.2 MHz,

      - No more toggle switches. Just reset and start the computer from ROM.

      - 64 k memory or more (banked). 512k SRAM come on a single chip.

      - A modern keyboard interface. Parallel keyboards are hard to get by now, PS/2 also. USB would be good, but it's all SMD and 3.3 V.

      - Some kind of mass storage, or simple USB sticks (if we get USB working)

      - A sound chip (one from Yamaha should be relatively easy to get)

      - An adequate little OS in ROM, perhaps Elf OS can be adapted.

      - And last, a good graphics chip, perhaps a little better than the old MC6847. It should have a text mode and a nice color graphics mode (with an adequately low resolution). And, above all, we should design an interface to access graphics memory which does not slow the processor down too much.

      We could probably get all this onto a single board and get a quite capable 8 bit computer. And for those who want more: There still was that idea to build an Elf with up to 8 processors.

      Message 140 of 140 , Jan 16, 2013
        On 1/15/2013 7:03 PM, Ray Po wrote:
        > Has anyone considered building a simple IP/ethernet interface to attach
        > 2 or more 1802's together and co-process?

        There are lots of simple ways to network two or more micros, but
        IP/ethernet certainly isn't one of them. It's only "simple" in the sense
        that you can dump your wallet on the table to buy some off-the-shelf
        board with software to do it all for you.

        All you really need is a simple serial port between them, and a little
        software. I've networked Parallax BASIC Stamps this way, and they are
        even dumber and slower than 1802's. :-)

        --
        The most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing one that
        is just good enough. -- Eric S. Raymond