Re: Breaking News - another 1802 Assembler with a Linker

  • thinkpast
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2012
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "bill_rowe@..." <bill_rowe_ottawa@...> wrote:

      > I've been poking at the SDCC C compiler and converting the output to 1802 assembly which I process with the excellent AS macro assembler that Richard posted about a while ago.
      > http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/download.html
      >
      > The SDCC compiler uses a variant of of the asxxxx assembler and aslink linker. While googling around for something I came across this
      > http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/ashtml/as1802.htm
      > which clearly shows the asxxxx assembler and aslink supporting the 1802 directly.
      >
      > My sense is that the two are not directly related because they support different families of processors and have different-ish syntax but i'm not sure, certainly the names are suggestively similar.
      >
      > I don't know anything more than this but I'm excited and I wanted to share.

      If you look at the doc files for the SDCC C cross compiler:

      http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/snap.php#Docs
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdcc/files/snapshot_builds/docs/sdcc-doc-20121028-8165.zip/download

      There's a README and some other documents about the origins of the AS cross assembler it uses. It came from either version 1.7 or 2.0 of the AS cross assemblers in C Users Group disk distribution "CUG292",
      written by Alan R. Baldwin around 1998.

      If you look at the docs for the AS cross assemblers you mention at Alan Baldwin's Web site:

      http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/ashtml/asxdoc.htm

      quote: "The ASxxxx Cross Assembler and Linker package (V5.05 August
      2012) contains cross assemblers for the 1802, S2650, MPS430..."

      So there's probably considerable divergence between SDCC's AS 1998 version and Alan Baldwin's current AS version. I'm not familiar with any of these in much detail, but I glanced at the AS Web site and the ASxxxxx cross assemblers in the C User's group a few years ago.

      The cross assemblers I have spent a little time with, are available on the Membership Card Web page of available software.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/mship_soft.html

      My specific notes about them and my slight adaptations of them are explained on the relevant Web pages.

      A18: http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/a18.html
      asmx: http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/asmx.html

      Good luck on adapting SDCC for 1802 use!

      Herb Johnson
    • Douglas
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2012
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "bill_rowe@..." <bill_rowe_ottawa@...> wrote:

        > I've been poking at the SDCC C compiler and converting the output to 1802 assembly which I process with the excellent AS macro assembler that Richard posted about a while ago.
        > http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/download.html
        >
        > The SDCC compiler uses a variant of of the asxxxx assembler and aslink linker. While googling around for something I came across this
        > http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/ashtml/as1802.htm
        > which clearly shows the asxxxx assembler and aslink supporting the 1802 directly.
        >
        > My sense is that the two are not directly related because they support different families of processors and have different-ish syntax but i'm not sure, certainly the names are suggestively similar.
        >
        > I don't know anything more than this but I'm excited and I wanted to share.

        If you recall, you mentioned your interest in the SDCC when I introduced myself. Since you are pushing forward, I will try to follow along and see if I can be of help. I'll start with downloading what you mention here.

        I started the "1802 architecture" discussion to try to learn some
        things about the chip that might be of interest with respect to a compiler. There were a few surprises!

        I hope I can be of help...

        If I should know anything else about the tools feel free
        to pass the info along.