CHIP-8 Interpreter Game Machine

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hello,

      I've been working on software for a CHIP-8 game machine. It's runs on
      Propellerpowered's Pocket Mini Computer:

      http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=234
      <http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=234%20>

      To introduce the project, Jeff Ledger of Propellerpowered, created an
      Instructable with video that includes DIY construction of a 4x4 keypad
      for authentic CHIP-8 use:

      http://www.instructables.com/id/CHIP-8-and-the-Pocket-Mini-Computer/
      <http://www.instructables.com/id/CHIP-8-and-the-Pocket-Mini-Computer/>

      If you are interested in CHIP-8, but do not have the hardware to run it,
      please check out this Instructable.

      This will only run CHIP-8 games. I am planning to add support for
      CHIP-8X, and SCHIP programs in future versions of the software. I also
      plan to create a version with a video mode of 160X120 6bit color and a
      CDP1802 emulator.

      Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Propellerpowered.

      John Williams

    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
        Thanks for posting that John.

        I had a look at it last night and it seems like a pretty neat little project.

        Andrew

        On 2012-11-03, at 6:05 PM, John Williams wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been working on software for a CHIP-8 game machine. It's runs on
        > Propellerpowered's Pocket Mini Computer:
        >
        > http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=234
        > <http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=234%20>
        >
        > To introduce the project, Jeff Ledger of Propellerpowered, created an
        > Instructable with video that includes DIY construction of a 4x4 keypad
        > for authentic CHIP-8 use:
        >
        > http://www.instructables.com/id/CHIP-8-and-the-Pocket-Mini-Computer/
        > <http://www.instructables.com/id/CHIP-8-and-the-Pocket-Mini-Computer/>
        >
        > If you are interested in CHIP-8, but do not have the hardware to run it,
        > please check out this Instructable.
        >
        > This will only run CHIP-8 games. I am planning to add support for
        > CHIP-8X, and SCHIP programs in future versions of the software. I also
        > plan to create a version with a video mode of 160X120 6bit color and a
        > CDP1802 emulator.
        >
        > Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Propellerpowered.
        >
        > John Williams

        Andrew Wasson | Luna Design
        1651 West 15th Street,
        North Vancouver BC., V7P 1N3
        604 987-2850

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "John Williams" <jwilliams12048@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I've been working on software for a CHIP-8 game machine. It's runs on
          > Propellerpowered's Pocket Mini Computer:
          >
          > http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=234
          > <http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=234%20>

          Thanks John, it looks very interesting, also, I've always wanted to try out the propeller chip. The price is very reasonable, so I went ahead and ordered a system.

          Cheers,
          Josh