Found my old Netronics Elf II and.. it still works!

  • denm651
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
      So I found this thing out in the shed. Still boxed up just as I stored it away about five moves ago. Brought it in, powered it up, and it worked, displaying FF. Coded in the LED test program, and guess what..... , the blinkning LED test worked!! I'll be darned.. an (apparently) working old Elf II. I don't have anything but the basic board for it - ie: just the motherboard, none of the expansion slots.

      So what practical uses are there for this thing?

      Anyone build a nifty contraption around it? Light controller?, thermostat?, a gee-whiz thingamaflopper?

      Thanks!!
    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
        Oh, an ELF II.
        That's absolutely useless and will probably just end up frustrating you.
        You should send it to me and I'll make sure it doesn't bother anyone ; )

        All joking aside, congrats! The ELF II is my favourite of the ELF's because it was my first brush with computing.

        In its stock single board form it only has a 1/4K RAM so you will definitely be limited to what you can do until you add some memory. It should come with the pixie graphics chip though so you can hook it up to a TV through a modulator and play around with the limited graphics of the day.

        Back in the day, I created a few custom expansion cards for mine so that it could have some input output and do something. I haven't had an ELF II for at least 20 years so I don't have any ideas of the top of my head but I expect that you can quite simply build a memory board with the low cost static ram we have these days and maybe add a little ROM space to boot it into a monitor program of some sort to make is easier to load and read programs. Maybe even something like the one used on the ELF2K which has Tiny Basic and a bunch of other utilities. As a matter of fact, you might even think of expanding it with a real HD or a memory card so you can run ELFOS on it.

        Andrew

        On 2012-11-01, at 9:24 PM, denm651 wrote:

        > So I found this thing out in the shed. Still boxed up just as I stored it away about five moves ago. Brought it in, powered it up, and it worked, displaying FF. Coded in the LED test program, and guess what..... , the blinkning LED test worked!! I'll be darned.. an (apparently) working old Elf II. I don't have anything but the basic board for it - ie: just the motherboard, none of the expansion slots.
        >
        > So what practical uses are there for this thing?
        >
        > Anyone build a nifty contraption around it? Light controller?, thermostat?, a gee-whiz thingamaflopper?
        >
        > Thanks!!

      • William Donnelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
          You can always sell it.
          They go for a pretty penny, depending on how pretty you think a penny is.

          -- bIll
          _________________
          (\__/) This is Bunny.
          (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your signature.
          (")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

          .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.::::? www.ChicoSkyWatch.org
          <http://www.ChicoSkyWatch.org/>
          GeoEngineering . Aerosol Spraying . Toxic Aluminum in Rainwater

          ?__? ? ? ? www.AE911Truth.org <http://www.AE911Truth.org/>

          On 11/1/2012 9:24 PM, denm651 wrote:

          > So I found this thing out in the shed. Still boxed up just as I stored
          > it away about five moves ago. Brought it in, powered it up, and it
          > worked, displaying FF. Coded in the LED test program, and guess
          > what..... , the blinkning LED test worked!! I'll be darned.. an
          > (apparently) working old Elf II. I don't have anything but the basic
          > board for it - ie: just the motherboard, none of the expansion slots.
          >
          > So what practical uses are there for this thing?
          >
          > Anyone build a nifty contraption around it? Light controller?,
          > thermostat?, a gee-whiz thingamaflopper?
          >
          > Thanks!!

        • denm651
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
            Thank you Andrew and Bill.. Really can't believe I still have it after probably 35 years, and that it still actually works. I'm going to be hunting for useful things to do with it.... might even come up with something myself thanks again!

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
              I'm sure you can do some pretty neat things with just the display and Q output - simple tones and music, a number guessing game and so on.

              To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
              From: denm651@...
              Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:29:30 +0000
              Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Found my old Netronics Elf II and.. it still works!