Hello esteemed COSMAC travelers

  • Douglas
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 21, 2012
      For a short time I built and beheld a Quest Super Elf
      for the purpose of analog synth device control. Before MIDI.
      But starved for information and ideas and comrades I got whisked away
      to FORTRAN on Dec PDP11 punch cards & after proving myself to DEC20 printer terminals then finally VT100 interactive terminals.
      In private a commandeered a friend's Vic20 for many nights writing
      a nifty univeral number base converter that got me a good grade.
      After school, it was on to C64's and PCs.

      I got narrowly focused. The Super Elf was given away.
      Imbedded products w/ 6502 and 68000 projects became the pro work
      cross compiled in C on PC desktops.
      While I dabbled at home on C64.

      So I realized how far I've come from the Elf pails in how narrow
      my system focus became. I missed all the really rather interesting
      developements in the legacy 8bit world, in the U.S. and abroad.
      I was completely ignorant about how the commodores, TRS-80s, Apples,
      Macs and AMigas were in their various niches. Likewise, how
      these systems remain significant with even new niche hardware developments!

      And what I didn't know about the first one... the 1802. I had
      little appreciation of its significance. I had no access to information back then to know what was going on.

      So I look back with asto nishment. And I feel I missed a lot of
      rich possibilities. You who have been involved, kept the faith,
      have done well.

      So here I am, looking over this old first chip. I kinda want a running Elf again. Maybe a SuperElf maybe something else. Suggestions welcome.

      If there is some unfinished work I'd like to try to help out.
      I was big big into C. Wrote lg embedded C systems, 50K lines.
      Wrote a multitasking bare bone kernal for the 68000.

      I'm checking out the emulators now to play around. Will probably gather C tools and start playing. In the meantime catch up on the posts here to get up to speed with the group.
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
        Hello:

        There is always the Parallax Propeller for your C language skills ?

        JIM

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
          Ted Rossin's C compiler for the 1802 is excellent fun if a bit limited.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cosmacelf/files/C%20Compiler/
          I am poking at re-targetting the SDCC C compiler for the 1802 - this would be an excellent application of your C skills!

          To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
            I'll look into it. I did a little fiddling with a model of
            microchip which had a fairly large demo pack of USB stack code.
            It did compile and run, much to my astonishment.
            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
              Hi I tried one emulator and I'll try yours too!
              Re-targeting a compiler would be interesting.
              When I did a little C work with Microchips free tool,
              I was shocked at the special directives depending on the
              hardware. Very complex stuff! I might suspect that's
              a tough part of a port.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
                Hi Douglas,

                Welcome to the group. Don't worry about what you could have learned and done with the 1802 back then, just get into it now and have fun.

                This group is all about having fun with the 1802 any way you like. Some have written emulators, there's lots of pooling of data here, good fun to just read through it. You can find the occasional ELF on Ebay, they might be a bit expensive, but worth the investment for fun. You are welcome to write about your ELF experiences and post a story. I would love to hear all about it. If you are into writting another emmulator, go for it. I think it's uses are very limited but that's not the point. The point is to have fun writing some code or playing with some old circuits.

                On the hardware end, you can buy a Membership computer from Lee Hart, it's a miniature ELF. Look through the photo's section.

                I think there's a cool do-nothing flashing light box schematic using an 1802 (A project I wish to do, but still haven't gotten around to). I'm not sure where the schematic is, but I'm sure it's not very far to find.

                Once again, welcome to the group!

                :) Josh

              • techtalklive@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 23, 2012
                  I ran you emulator!
                  Sweet! Amazing that I can load basic and do a Hello World!
                  I posted a pic in a photo bin I names Memphis... you
                  can see it when it gets approved.

                  Did you release source code?

                  Is there a good compiler C system for the 1802 already or
                  what is the charm of the SDCC?
                  I saw something on SourceForge but it seems to be taken down
                  now. I just might want to contribute.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 23, 2012
                    Thank you, that was very kind!
                    I've begun the poking around you suggest and it is addicting!
                    Since I am "rooted" in the little beast I likely will stay around.
                    So much good work done here and in other 8 bit world.
                    I look forward to interacting with all these talented people.
                    It may get me back into this line of work again-
                    I had given up here on the east coast on being paid to do
                    interesting work like I used to!
                    Thanks for the suggestion on a modern elf. I was going
                    around in circles trying to figure out what was currently available
                    and starting to wonder if I was going to have to take someones
                    good schematic design, it it made by a quick turn and toss the parts
                    list to distributor to fulfill!
                    Any other quick notes on kind of where the state of the art is would
                    be helpful, cause as I said, there is great 1802 info and sites
                    all around but a lot of dead ends too.
                    I do hope I can be some material help here too!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 24, 2012
                      Ted's compiler is wonderful if you're careful. I've been able to translate bunches of things from arduino to use on the membership card. For examplehttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/cosmacelf/message/11206 You do have to be careful not to confuse the compiler and the generated code often needs hand crafting at the assembler level to get acceptable speed for some things. If I had to write something complicated for the 1802 now though, there's no question I would use it. I also have functions figured out and optimized for SPI and windows I/O. If you search this forum for olduino you can see other examples. I would like a better compiler though, more range of functions, more robust parsing, and better optimization. Ted did the compiler as a learning experience some time ago and i don't think he wants to put a lot more effort into it or share the source. SDCC is one of a few options to target the 1802. It handles full C and it has a good optimizer. I'm basing my work on it because it has a Z80 target which is an 8 bit micro which I have some famuiliarity with. I have a jerry-rigged assembly now that can generate and optimize code for the 1802. Search the forum for sdcc for more info and I'll post a progress report this week. I'm wondering if we would set up a separate list for people interested in the compiler because a lot of members won't be. The sourceforge project is for sure alive and well. http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

                      To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ymail.com no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:54:27 +0000
                      Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Hello esteemed COSMAC travelers

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 25, 2012
                        techtalklive@... wrote:
                        > Thanks for the suggestion on a modern elf.

                        My think the Membership Card is the only complete Elf currently
                        available. See <http://www.sunrise-ev.com/MembershipCard.htm>.

                        You can of course build one from scratch. Many have built them from the
                        original Popular Electronics articles
                        <http://www.incolor.com/bill_r/elf/html/elf-1-33.htm>.

                        I think Spare Time Gizmos is out of Elf2k kits and boards, but all the
                        info is on the web
                        <http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/wdoc/index.php?title=Elf_2000> to build
                        one (PCB layout files, PEEL programming, etc.)

                        1802 computers also turn up for sale on eBay etc. or someone here may
                        have one to sell.

                        The simplest possible 1802 computer is probably my blinkin-light
                        circuit. Nothing but an 1802 and some LEDs! :-) Here's the schematic
                        (set your email software to display it with a fixed width font, like
                        Courier):

                        on-off switch _________________ LEDs
                        _________/__________|40 VDD MA7 32|______|\|_______
                        | |___|16 VCC | |/| |_______
                        | |___| 2 /WAIT | _______|/|___| |
                        __|__+ |___| 3 /CLR MA6 31|__| |\| |
                        ___ 1.5v AA |___|36 /INT | |___|\|_______ |
                        | - battery |___|37 /DMA-IN | |/| |_____ |
                        | |___|38 /DMA-OUT | _______|/|___| | |
                        __|__+ 1.5v AA | | MA5 30|__| |\| | |
                        ___ battery |___| 9 BUS6 | |___|\|_______ | |
                        | - | | | |/| |___ | |
                        | 100k > | | _______|/|___| | | |
                        | resistor > | MA4 29|__| |\| | | |
                        | > | | |___|\|_______ | | |
                        | ____________|___| 1 CLOCK | |/| |_ | | |
                        | | | | | _______|/|___| | | | |
                        | | > 4.7meg | SC0 6 |__| |\| | | | |
                        | | > resistor | | |___|\|_______ | | | |
                        | c \| > | | |/| | | | | |
                        | |___|____||____|39 /XTAL SC1 5 |________________| | | | |
                        | | b || | MA3 28|__________________| | | |
                        | e /| 0.01uf | MA2 27|____________________| | |
                        | | capacitor | MA1 26|______________________| |
                        |___|________________|20 VSS MA0 25|________________________|
                        NPN transistor |_________________|
                        2N2222 or equiv.

                        --
                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                        Forget your perfect offering
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 25, 2012
                          > techtalklive@... wrote:
                          > > Thanks for the suggestion on a modern elf.
                          >
                          > My think the Membership Card is the only complete Elf currently
                          > available. See <http://www.sunrise-ev.com/MembershipCard.htm>.

                          Lee's "Membership Card" is great! Very well designed, with clear and well-written instructions, and a completely usable ELF when it's finished. The price is very reasonable, too (make sure you spring for the optional front panel) - I spent more on my Neutronics ELF back in the late '70s. Plus, it fits in an Altoids tin! Honestly, I can't recommend it enough.
                          ~~
                          Mark Moulding
                        • eight_bit_jdrose
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 29, 2012
                            That has been my goal since I learned of the 1802 this year. Own an 1802 computer and learn how to program it in C. The only two languages I know currently are my childhoood BASIC skills and I am really good at 6502 assembly language. Experience is writing games for the Atari 2600.

                            Learning a higher level language seems like a good thing to do. I could eventually use C to program modern microcontrollers. That is my ultimate goal I think.

                            Right now I am using the Elf 2K emulator in Emma but eventually hope to have a real Elf 2K or a Comx. I have a 1802 MC kit that I am going to build this. That will be my first real hardware 1802 computer.

                            Good luck in your pursuits. The 1802 is probably the most interesting 8 bit microprocessor. I wish someone would develop a modern microcontroller built on it.