Re: "Small C" Slightly OT

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 82 , Sep 3, 2012
      > > https://www.virtualbox.org/
      >
      > That's a good tip - I didn't know of that one. With just cursory testing it seems to work quite well, and it's free! Thanks for the pointer.
      > ~~
      > Mark Moulding

      Yes, VirtualBox is VERY solid.

      The nice thing about VirtualBox is that it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can export your virtual disk image and run the same virtual machine on any of your machines. It also works with XP and Vista.

      You can install Windows 2000 or 3.1 or even DOS in VirtualBox and run old software on your Mac, PC or Linux and share the virtual image between all your computers.

      I use VirtualBox on my Atom-powered 10-inch Asus eeePC running Win 7 Starter Edition. VirtualBox allows me to use my old HP scanner (which needs XP) with my Asus, and it runs surprisingly well!

      VirtualBox is also great for keeping a "junk" OS image for running untrusted programs that you download off the Internet. If the virtual image gets a virus and is trashed you just delete it. Make a copy of your "fresh" install image and you can throw away images at will without reinstalling Windows each time.

      The nice thing about MS XP Mode is you get a free licensed and legal copy of XP.

      Another cool trick using XP Mode: If you have a DOS based program you can run it full screen and assign it right to your Windows 7 Start Menu as an icon. Just create a shortcut inside XP Mode in the "C:\Documents and
      Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs" folder. It will automatically appear under the Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 as an application. Right click and select Pin to Start Menu. Any icon that you start in this manner will open the program in a single window that looks just like any other program (you don't see the Windows XP desktop).
    • wmaalouli
      Message 82 of 82 , Sep 15, 2012
        Please do!

        Walid