Emma02 and Quest Super BASIC

  • Micah
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 19, 2012
      I've recently found that Emma02 runs fine in Debian Linux (yay!), though the UI is a little misaligned, and that it locks up my computer under Windows XP (aww..).

      I'm trying to get Quest Super BASIC running and having no luck. The emulator starts up and then seems to get stuck at address 2626. I can type characters but nothing seems to be happening.

      Anyone know what's going on here? Can someone verify that the Quest Super BASIC works for them? And does anyone else have problems with it locking up Windows XP? I'm not terribly concerned about the XP setup since it works in Linux. Just curious.

      And (under Linux) the emulator does run fine in other configurations.

      -Micah
    • aa3nm
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2012
        Micha,

        If I remember correctly, Super Basic looks at the state of EF4 as it's starting up to decide if it needs to use serial (auto-baud detection) or parallel hardware for IO.

        Here is the top post in a string that goes back about 10 years...
        look at message #5604.

        Others include:
        #1500 and #244 (the beginning of the whole saga),
        but there were many steps along the way that have now fallen into obscurity...

        Hope it helps,

        Steve

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Micah" <mbrunt@...> wrote:

        > I've recently found that Emma02 runs fine in Debian Linux (yay!), though the UI is a little misaligned, and that it locks up my computer under Windows XP (aww..).
        >
        > I'm trying to get Quest Super BASIC running and having no luck. The emulator starts up and then seems to get stuck at address 2626. I can type characters but nothing seems to be happening.
        >
        > Anyone know what's going on here? Can someone verify that the Quest Super BASIC works for them? And does anyone else have problems with it locking up Windows XP? I'm not terribly concerned about the XP setup since it works in Linux. Just curious.
        >
        > And (under Linux) the emulator does run fine in other configurations.
        >
        > -Micah

      • Marcel
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2012
          Hi Micah,

          Yes, Steve is almost right. I believe the QB you are trying to start is the 1.4 version with a VT. That one checks on EF2, but it also has a bit difficult start-up procedure:

          - Start the emulator without auto boot
          - Then while pressing 'IN' press 'RUN', this is easiest done by keeping 'Ins' pressed and then press 'F12'. However I just noticed that F12 is not emulated correctly to 'RUN' when the VT window is used, so when pressing Ins/F12 make sure the main Emma 02 window is active.
          - Now press 'Return' in the VT window and the 'C' for a cold start

          Can you also tell me what you do exactly on XP? I just did a quick test and everything I ran worked fine. I do know that in some cases the check for an update can lock Emma 02 for some time (seconds or maybe even a few minutes), if so just 'uncheck' the update check on start-up in the help menu.

          Cheers, Marcel.

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "aa3nm" <steve@...> wrote:

          > Micha,
          >
          > If I remember correctly, Super Basic looks at the state of EF4 as it's starting up to decide if it needs to use serial (auto-baud detection) or parallel hardware for IO.
          >
          > Here is the top post in a string that goes back about 10 years...
          > look at message #5604.
          >
          > Others include:
          > #1500 and #244 (the beginning of the whole saga),
          > but there were many steps along the way that have now fallen into obscurity...
          >
          > Hope it helps,
          >
          > Steve
          >

          > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Micah" <mbrunt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've recently found that Emma02 runs fine in Debian Linux (yay!), though the UI is a little misaligned, and that it locks up my computer under Windows XP (aww..).
          > >
          > > I'm trying to get Quest Super BASIC running and having no luck. The emulator starts up and then seems to get stuck at address 2626. I can type characters but nothing seems to be happening.
          > >
          > > Anyone know what's going on here? Can someone verify that the Quest Super BASIC works for them? And does anyone else have problems with it locking up Windows XP? I'm not terribly concerned about the XP setup since it works in Linux. Just curious.
          > >
          > > And (under Linux) the emulator does run fine in other configurations.
          > >
          > > -Micah

        • Micah
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2012
            Thanks for the help, Marcel and Steve. I have got Quest BASIC working now. :) You've actually answered a couple of questions in one swell foop. I was wondering how to start the emulator with the Input button applied and now I know!

            On a similar note, is there a way to trigger the EF lines while the Elf is running, to simulate an external event? I've been trying to experiment with the basic Cosmac Elf emulator until I have a real Elf built, but have not been able to do much involving the EF lines.

            Marcel, the UI itself works fine on XP (service pack 2) for me, but when I start the emulator it freezes up the entire computer within a couple of minutes and I have to reset the PC. But really you needn't worry about it! This computer is ancient and bound to have problems. It's a 1Ghz Athlon system from circa 2000 or 2001. :) I started using it again after my (newer) laptop died. Emma02 ran flawlessly on XP on the laptop.

            But like I say, the emulator works great in Linux so I'm happy. :)

            -Micah
          • Marcel
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21, 2012
              Hi Again,

              No problem.

              EF lines can be triggered only in the Cosmac Elf emulation (i.e. not for the Elf II or Super). You can do this by using the EF switches on the front panel (select Elf Windows).

              I could consider adding an option in the debugger to eb able to change the EF lines if you think that would be handy.

              Still strange the XP machine freezes, maybe the CPU can not handle it?

              Cheers, Marcel.

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Micah" <mbrunt@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the help, Marcel and Steve. I have got Quest BASIC working now. :) You've actually answered a couple of questions in one swell foop. I was wondering how to start the emulator with the Input button applied and now I know!
              >
              > On a similar note, is there a way to trigger the EF lines while the Elf is running, to simulate an external event? I've been trying to experiment with the basic Cosmac Elf emulator until I have a real Elf built, but have not been able to do much involving the EF lines.
              >
              > Marcel, the UI itself works fine on XP (service pack 2) for me, but when I start the emulator it freezes up the entire computer within a couple of minutes and I have to reset the PC. But really you needn't worry about it! This computer is ancient and bound to have problems. It's a 1Ghz Athlon system from circa 2000 or 2001. :) I started using it again after my (newer) laptop died. Emma02 ran flawlessly on XP on the laptop.
              >
              > But like I say, the emulator works great in Linux so I'm happy. :)
              >
              > -Micah

            • Micah
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 21, 2012
                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

                > EF lines can be triggered only in the Cosmac Elf emulation (i.e.
                > not for the Elf II or Super). You can do this by using the EF
                > switches on the front panel (select Elf Windows).

                Oh wow this is very disappointing. Those EF switches are right there and they work perfectly, which means I'm either blind or retarded for not even noticing them before! :)

                > I could consider adding an option in the debugger to eb able to
                > change the EF lines if you think that would be handy.

                The debugger is where I had tried to set them. I think it might be handy, or possibly to be able to set them using hot-keys. Perhaps disable them in debugger/hot-keys if they're already being used by peripherals ie serial VT-100, etc?

                -Micah
              • James Tadlock
                Message 7 of 8 , May 21, 2013
                  Is the latest emulator still available on line. Has it been updated to run on Win 7 and/or Win *?

                  --- In mailto:cosmacelf%40yahoogroups.com, "aa3nm" <steve@...> wrote:

                  > Micha,
                  >
                  > If I remember correctly, Super Basic looks at the state of EF4 as it's starting up to decide if it needs to use serial (auto-baud detection) or parallel hardware for IO.
                  >
                  > Here is the top post in a string that goes back about 10 years...
                  > look at message #5604.
                  >
                  > Others include:
                  > #1500 and #244 (the beginning of the whole saga),
                  > but there were many steps along the way that have now fallen into obscurity...
                  >
                  > Hope it helps,
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >

                  > --- In mailto:cosmacelf%40yahoogroups.com, "Micah" <mbrunt@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've recently found that Emma02 runs fine in Debian Linux (yay!), though the UI is a little misaligned, and that it locks up my computer under Windows XP (aww..).
                  > >
                  > > I'm trying to get Quest Super BASIC running and having no luck. The emulator starts up and then seems to get stuck at address 2626. I can type characters but nothing seems to be happening.
                  > >
                  > > Anyone know what's going on here? Can someone verify that the Quest Super BASIC works for them? And does anyone else have problems with it locking up Windows XP? I'm not terribly concerned about the XP setup since it works in Linux. Just curious.
                  > >
                  > > And (under Linux) the emulator does run fine in other configurations.
                  > >
                  > > -Micah

                • Marcel
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 22, 2013
                    Hi James,

                    No new release since February last year, as I have been busy with another COMX project, but it is still available:
                    http://www.emma02.hobby-site.com/index_download.html

                    Running on Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7 as well as Linux Ubuntu and openSUSE. There is a beta lync for OS-X on the facebook page but that version is a bit limited.

                    Cheers, Marcel.