RCA VIP VP-700 Tiny BASIC ROM

  • curtcoder
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2012
      Hi!

      Does anybody have a dump of the ROM on the VP-700 expansion board?

      I would very much like to add this to the MESS emulation of the VIP.

      Thanks!
    • rarecoinbuyer
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
        This morning there is a fellow over at rcacosmac working with a VP711 and the VP700 BASIC board. Perhaps he could help you.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
          what's rcacosmac?  another web site?

          To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
          From: rarecoinbuyer@...
          Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:57:32 +0000
          Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: RCA VIP VP-700 Tiny BASIC ROM

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, curtcoder wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > Does anybody have a dump of the ROM on the VP-700 expansion board?
          >
          > I would very much like to add this to the MESS emulation of the VIP.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • William Donnelly
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
            These are the Yahoo Groups I am a member of:

            cravcomp
            8bitcomp
            cccwww
            classic-8-bits
            classic-computers
            cosmacelf
            midatlanticretro
            rcacosmac
            smartsockets
            sparetimegizmos
            vintage_computers
            VintagePC

            A few are inactive, some are more active than others.

            – Bill

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
              --- In cosmacelf, bill rowe wrote:

              > what's rcacosmac? another web site?

              Mr. Rowe,

              Good morning.

              rcacosmac is a Y! Groupsite dedicated to the 1802 based RCA VIP series of small computers and it's peripherals.

              The homepage can be found at this link:

              JD Rose
            • William Donnelly
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 21, 2013
                Interesting, somewhat off-topic.
                Unfortunately, 1802 coder isn't listed.
                As some people around here can attest to, it did make a few some money
                back in the day.

                What we need to do is create a new market for the 1802 and then supply
                the demand.
                It's literally as simple as that.

                http://www.businessinsider.com/10-tech-skills-that-will-instantly-net-you-100000-salary-2013-2

                – Bill
              • rarecoinbuyer
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                  Other than one short summer job, I have been out of work since 2008.

                  I find jobs lists like that interesting. I have been studying Android, Java and C in my substantial free time over the last year. $100,000/year would be an amazing dream but I would be happy finding a tech job that paid between $30,000 and $40,000.

                  If you wanted to make a living with the 1802 I think you would have to work for a space company, NASA or be an entrepreneur.

                  I think it would be interesting to see a building block system like Arduino that is based on the 1802 instead of the ATmega328. Perhaps a little more functional though, like the Raspberry PI with keyboard and A/V output. The same small form. Resident Forth and assembler. A C compiler that can be downloaded for free.

                  Market it as retro. Plenty of people like the modern Corvette but there are a lot of people that are interested in the 1953 Blue Flame Corvette as well.

                  $50 to $75 seems to be the new price range for single board computers. Name it something fun like Orangutan or Roller Coaster.

                  Of course, the only problem with this dream is that the 1802 is no longer in production*.

                  --- JD

                  * Not including the expensive space/military Intersil 1802.

                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting, somewhat off-topic.
                  > Unfortunately, 1802 coder isn't listed.
                  > As some people around here can attest to, it did make a few some money
                  > back in the day.
                  >
                  > What we need to do is create a new market for the 1802 and then supply
                  > the demand.
                  > It's literally as simple as that.
                  >
                  > http://www.businessinsider.com/10-tech-skills-that-will-instantly-net-you-100000-salary-2013-2
                  >
                  > – Bill

                • William Donnelly
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                    That sux being out of work that long. Sorry to hear that.
                    I hope you find something soon. Something good.

                    I'll put in a good word for you with the man upstairs.
                    I think his name is Jeff. I don't know what he could do,
                    but it couldn't hurt. We often pass each other in the
                    hall on laundry day.

                    Too soon?

                    Sounds like you're learning some valuable tools.
                    I wish I could have gotten in on the "apps" wave
                    when it first started. A lot of people made a lot of
                    money, and still are. I stupidly missed out on the
                    Dot Com craze, too. And didn't make near enough on Y2K.

                    I recently noticed sometimes my hindsight isn't even 20/20.

                    – Bill

                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly wrote:

                    > Interesting, somewhat off-topic.
                    > Unfortunately, 1802 coder isn't listed.
                    > As some people around here can attest to, it did make a few some money
                    > back in the day.
                    >
                    > What we need to do is create a new market for the 1802 and then supply
                    > the demand.
                    > It's literally as simple as that.
                    >
                    > http://www.businessinsider.com/10-tech-skills-that-will-instantly-net-you-100000-salary-2013-2
                    >
                    > – Bill

                  • rarecoinbuyer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                      Thanks.

                      I do not want to go too off topic here but the App market is still rolling along pretty good.

                      The last analytics I read were that half of the internet traffic is now from iPad and another 1/4 is Android. Games and Social Apps seem to still be very popular. Angry Birds has made millions for example.

                      I have a feeling that Android is just starting to gear up. Probably 3 to 4 years of lively action left in that system. Some of the new Quad Core Android tablets are simply amazing.

                      Other than for business offices and power gamers, desktops seem to be extinct. It is a pity. I find the internet experience so much more richer from my desktop.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly <william@...> wrote:

                        > These are the Yahoo Groups I am a member of:

                        Cool, now if I had the time, I could start stalking you on the other forums!

                        I'm only on here and on MARCH. How do the other forums compare to this one?

                        Josh
                      • William Donnelly
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                          Some are pretty good. Some are semi-defunct.
                          COSMACELF is the only one I do through e-mail.
                          The others I look at online, so "it doesn't cost anything".

                          – Bill

                          On 2/22/2013 2:15 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

                          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, William Donnelly wrote:

                          > These are the Yahoo Groups I am a member of:

                          Cool, now if I had the time, I could start stalking you on the other forums!

                          I'm only on here and on MARCH. How do the other forums compare to this one?

                          Josh

                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                            I have little interest in an iPhone or tablet. I need to be productive, not play with a toy. I don't see the desktop workstation going anywhere, but it may become more rare and expensive.

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "rarecoinbuyer" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

                            > Other than for business offices and power gamers, desktops seem to be extinct. It is a pity. I find the internet experience so much more richer from my desktop.

                          • Andrew Wasson
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 22, 2013
                              Well, like it or not mobile devices are making inroads on desktop territory. Reviewing website analytics reports I've seen a jump of about double in mobile activity in the past year; Jan 2013 was the jumping point in most cases so I expect a lot of tablets and smart phones were xmas gifts. Some sites are seeing 15% mobile traffic others are seeing as much as 30%. It all depends on the nature of the site and the audience.

                              I expect mobile development will be a big part of 2013 for those of us in the web dev world.

                              Andrew

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 23, 2013
                              • 1 Attachment
                              • 1.3 MB
                              well exactly!

                              To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                              From: awasson@...
                              Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:52:52 -0800
                              Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Making a living with the 1802

                              Message 15 of 18 , Feb 23, 2013
                                If you're trying to get rich, then you have to follow the latest trends.
                                Design for what's "hot" at the moment. You can produce total crap, and
                                fools will still buy it. As George Carlin said, "Think about how stupid
                                the average person is; then realize that half of them are even stupider
                                than that." That's a *lot* of fools with money!

                                But if you're just trying to make a living, you only need "enough"
                                customers that recognize quality, or really need your products or
                                services. These can come from some incredibly tiny niche market.
                                Consider the example we just had; 30 PDP-8 replicas at $599-$999 each
                                will produce $18,000 to $30,000 of revenue.

                                --
                                If you would not be forgotten
                                When your body's dead and rotten
                                Message 16 of 18 , Feb 23, 2013
                                  Ah, but I didn't say I didn't like mobile, just that I have little use for one. I view mobile devices as consumers. The producers are working on desktops--including those people doing mobile development. Mobile is great for browsing, scheduling, apps, games; but useless for real business and high CPU productivity (video, development, CAD, print production, etc.) I do the latter more than the former.

                                  I think this forum should find a niche application for the 1802. We already know it's a great trainer. I'm thinking of an extreme low-power application like thermostat, sprinkler controller---except all of those things are already available and cheap! So there's little need to design a new one....

                                  Perhaps some application where a CPU running at 100 Hz (or 10, or 1, or 0.1 Hz!) would really show off the 1802? That would be very novel, no? Perhaps the clock speed is self-controlled by a decade-selector to go to "sleep"? You can still perform any computation at 0.1 Hz.

                                  Maybe a clock that sets itself, over a period of days or weeks, based on the position of the sun? A demonstration of slow-motion computing, etc...

                                  Message 17 of 18 , Feb 23, 2013
                                    Exactly. Mobile devices are the modern equivalent of the TV or record player.

                                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kriceslo@...> wrote:

                                    > Ah, but I didn't say I didn't like mobile, just that I have little use for one. I view mobile devices as consumers. The producers are working on desktops--including those people doing mobile development. Mobile is great for browsing, scheduling, apps, games; but useless for real business and high CPU productivity (video, development, CAD, print production, etc.) I do the latter more than the former.

                                  • Chuck Bigham
                                    Message 18 of 18 , Feb 24, 2013

                                      Mobile devices aren’t making in-roads into desktop territory – they are replacing desktops as the consumer of information. For example, I used to have to sit at my desk to read email or browse a Web site, but now I can use my Windows 8 phone* or my Surface RT** to search the Web, read email, and browse RSS feeds.

                                      But when you’re talking about creating information, the desktop is and will remain king. Actually, it’s not the desktop – it’s the keyboard/digitizer/mouse and the screen real estate associated with a desktop that will remain king. I read this email downstairs on my Surface, but I decided to come upstairs where I have a real keyboard to type the reply – because content creation is a lot easier here.

                                      Because of the nature of my job***, I spend a lot of time consuming information with mobile devices. But when it comes time to get my work done, I sit down at a desk where I have two 24-inch monitors, a 27-inch touchscreen, and a Kinesis Freestyle keyboard**** (http://sdrv.ms/X4Ovab). I know that there is a box under my desk that they all plug into, but frankly, that’s the least important part of getting my actual work done.

                                      To drag this comment back toward on-topic, when I work on the 1802 control logic simulation that I’m doing, I usually have the schematic from visual6501.org on my Surface – because the Surface is great place to see information – and I draw the simulation on my desktop – because it has a big monitor and a mouse attached.

                                      Chuck

                                      * Blatant advertising plug.

                                      ** Another blatant advertising plug.

                                      *** Whenever I mention my job I need to say that I work for Microsoft, the company that everyone loves to hate; and that these are my opinions and not those of my employer. But you knew that.

                                      **** The name of the company is not important, really. I just think it’s a cool keyboard with a cool name.