Re: Books and schematisc found

  • Bee Dee
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
      Yeah, thieves tend to be scummy, uncaring, asinine people, especially
      if they are addicts.

      A friend was going to Europe on a student exchange program and was
      putting most of her stuff in storage until she got back. She forgot the
      lock and only lived a couple of blocks away, so she left the door open
      about a foot high (that wasn't the brightest move), and when she got
      back several minutes later all of her stuff was gone. It included all
      of her photos and family and personal things like that, that were most
      likely just dumped in the trash. I don't think she got any of it back,
      which is pretty typical.

      People usually have that "it always happens to the other guy" attitude,
      but someone has to be the "other guy", and why not you?

      "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

      - Bill D
      ... CRAV Computing Hobbyist : Classic/Retro/Antique/Vintage
      ..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cravcomp/
      ..... http://www.donnelly-house.net/
      "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities,
      but in the expert's there are few."
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
        me 3. I have one of those fluorescent circle magnifier lamps that i need now for *any* close work. The worst thing now is that I'll get a headache after 15 minutes of using it. I also have a 10 power loupe that i need for checking solder connections - especially surface mount. I did use a few surface mount chips on the olduino - the soic ones are not too bad at 1/20 inch pitch. I could, just barely have used a tqfp package for the avr - 1/40" pitch but i chickened out. I actually find the passive smd components tougher to solder just because they are so *darn* small. One resonator i tried to use had 3 pads, maybe a 1/2 mm apart and a little metal cap on top so you could burn yourself holding it or make a nice little solder bridge. I am on the lookout for a used electric frying pan so i can try my hand at reflowing.
        To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
        From: leeahart@...
        Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:00:14 -0500
        Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Books and schematisc found

        On 7/31/2012 10:22 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

        > I've got that diminishing vision problem too...

        I have to live with it, too. That's why there is no surface mount in the

        Membership Card. I couldn't see to assemble it!

        Clamped to my workbench, I've got one of those circular fluorescent

        lights at the end of an articulated arm that has a big magnifying lens

        in the center. Without that, I'd be looking for another hobby.

        --

        Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong

        reasons. -- R. Buckminster Fuller

        --

        Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs leeahart@...

      • Bob Armstrong
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
          >me 3. I have one of those fluorescent circle magnifier lamps

          If anybody is thinking of buying one, I'd recommend one of the new LED
          models instead. I have one, and it's much brighter, smaller and cooler than
          the fluorescent variety.

          Now if I could just figure out a way to keep the nose prints off the lens
          :-)

          Bob
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
            On 8/1/2012 10:04 AM, Bob Armstrong wrote:
            > If anybody is thinking of buying one, I'd recommend one of the new LED
            > models instead. I have one, and it's much brighter, smaller and cooler than
            > the fluorescent variety.

            I tried one, and hated it. The light was uneven and causes lots of
            reflections and glare, and the lens was plastic. But it may have been a
            quality issue; typical cheap imported crap. I haven't had a chance to
            try a better one.

            --
            I do not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into
            momentum. -- Frances Willard
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
              >The light was uneven and causes lots of
              >reflections and glare, and the lens was plastic.

              They aren't all like that - the lens in mine is glass and the light is
              pretty even by virtue of there being something like a zillion LEDs arranged
              in several concentric rings around it. The spectrum is a little on the
              bluish side, but I can live with that.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

                > They aren't all like that - the lens in mine is glass and the light is
                > pretty even by virtue of there being something like a zillion LEDs arranged
                > in several concentric rings around it. The spectrum is a little on the
                > bluish side, but I can live with that.
                >
                > Bob

                Bluish is ok, Flourescent isn't much better imho.

                Where did you get yours? Do you have a make/model #?

                I keep thinking of one I saw at my local electronics shop for $30. It's flourescent, but I'm going to verify it has real glass.

                Cheers,
                J.
              • Andrew Wasson
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                  Wouldn't you know it, I bought one for my dad a few years ago for his birthday; he's an analog, tube guy. No sooner had I given it to him and I discovered I was having a heck of a time reading the tops of my IC's unless I had floodlights on and aimed at the part over my shoulder. I now have readers and one of those circle magnifiers myself.

                  On 2012-08-01, at 7:57 AM, bill rowe wrote:

                  > me 3. I have one of those fluorescent circle magnifier lamps that i need now for *any* close work. The worst thing now is that I'll get a headache after 15 minutes of using it. I also have a 10 power loupe that i need for checking solder connections - especially surface mount. I did use a few surface mount chips on the olduino - the soic ones are not too bad at 1/20 inch pitch. I could, just barely have used a tqfp package for the avr - 1/40" pitch but i chickened out. I actually find the passive smd components tougher to solder just because they are so *darn* small. One resonator i tried to use had 3 pads, maybe a 1/2 mm apart and a little metal cap on top so you could burn yourself holding it or make a nice little solder bridge. I am on the lookout for a used electric frying pan so i can try my hand at reflowing.
                  > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: leeahart@...
                  > Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:00:14 -0500
                  > Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Books and schematisc found

                  > On 7/31/2012 10:22 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                  >
                  >> I've got that diminishing vision problem too...
                  >

                  > I have to live with it, too. That's why there is no surface mount in the
                  >
                  > Membership Card. I couldn't see to assemble it!
                  >

                  > Clamped to my workbench, I've got one of those circular fluorescent
                  >
                  > lights at the end of an articulated arm that has a big magnifying lens
                  >
                  > in the center. Without that, I'd be looking for another hobby.
                  >

                  > --
                  >
                  > Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong
                  >
                  > reasons. -- R. Buckminster Fuller
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs leeahart@...

                  Andrew Wasson | Luna Design
                  1651 West 15th Street,
                  North Vancouver BC., V7P 1N3
                  604 987-2850

                • Bob Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                    >Where did you get yours? Do you have a make/model #?
                    >I keep thinking of one I saw at my local electronics shop for $30.

                    I don't have the model handy, but I got it from Amazon. The LED version
                    was over $100 as I remember.

                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

                      > I don't have the model handy, but I got it from Amazon. The LED version
                      > was over $100 as I remember.

                      For over $100, I'll remain in denial for a little while longer!

                      I am getting by for the moment using the Digital Macro feature on my camera, and my poor bench is already cluttered at the moment.
                    • rdoerr@bizserve.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                        Hello,

                        I was curious how many other system used the 1861 Pixie chip besides the ELF. I just acquired what seem to be an intact R6500 AIM system and one of the hand wired option boards appears to be a video card. The chip number is covered but it sure looks like it may be an 1861. I'm not sure if this was a one off project or if it was based on a published schematic. If you've seen a schematic or 1861 circuit for the R6500 system let me know since it may match up with the card in my system.

                        Thank You,

                        Robert

                      • urrossum@att.net
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                          > If anybody is thinking of buying one, I'd recommend one of the new LED
                          > models instead. I have one, and it's much brighter, smaller and cooler than
                          > the fluorescent variety.

                          I strongly agree! I use this one from Jameco:

                          http://tinyurl.com/chu4rk3

                          I bought it on a lark (I dangerously live only about two miles from Jameco, and they have a lobby with stuff for sale...), and liked it so much that I immediately bought one for my partner. 13 Watts of LED light is a *lot* of light, and the lens is large enough to be comfortable for longer period use.

                          I also have a pair of -3.5 diopter "reading" glasses from Walgreens that I wear essentially all the time I'm at my bench, and a pair of insane -6.0 diopter ones that I wear to look closely at circuit boards. I can only see about 6" away from my head with the latter pair.
                          ~~
                          Mark Moulding
                        • urrossum@att.net
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                            >> If anybody is thinking of buying one, I'd recommend one of the new LED
                            >> models instead. I have one, and it's much brighter, smaller and cooler than
                            >> the fluorescent variety.

                            > I tried one, and hated it. The light was uneven and causes lots of
                            > reflections and glare, and the lens was plastic. But it may have been a
                            > quality issue; typical cheap imported crap. I haven't had a chance to
                            > try a better one.

                            I'd definitely recommend a good one - the one I have (Jameco #2120330, http://tinyurl.com/chu4rk3 ) is really good - significantly better, in fact, than the big old classic Steelcase-type lamp it replaced. The LEDs are distributed around the perimeter and the lens is glass; there may be some glare, but only because the lights are so freakin' bright - it's not from the lens.

                            At $129, it's a pretty reasonable price for what seems to be a good quality unit. I love mine.
                            ~~
                            Mark Moulding
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 1, 2012
                              urrossum@... wrote:
                              > I'd definitely recommend a good one - the one I have (Jameco
                              > #2120330, http://tinyurl.com/chu4rk3 ) is really good... At $129,
                              > it's a pretty reasonable price for what seems to be a good quality
                              > unit.

                              $129 is enough to get good quality. The one I looked at was more like
                              $50. Definitely not as good as my old one!

                              --
                              Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
                              thousand things that won't work. -- Thomas A. Edison