Re: Who was Joseph Weisbecker???

  • randy129
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 5, 2012
      --- "joshbensadon" <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

      > Wouldn't it be nice to contact Joyce and ask her about her
      > father (assuming he was her father?). How would someone
      > do this?

      Some info from her about her dad:

      Posts by her on midatlanticretro:

      Randy
    • thinkpast
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 5, 2012
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ruske <dave@...> wrote:

        > On Jul 4, 2012, at 10:36 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
        > > We know he wrote the ELF article in PE Aug 1976 (and FLIP in PE May 1974). Ok, so he designed the 1801R (what ever that is?).
        > > I think he has a daughter named Joyce, her name appears as the author of some games in the VIP Games Manuals.
        > >
        > > What else do we know of him??? Does anyone have articles or books on him?
        > >
        > > Wouldn't it be nice to contact Joyce and ask her about her father (assuming he was her father?). How would someone do this? Do you just search for Joyce on Facebook?
        > >
        > I emailed Joyce Weisbecker in 2004, and she replied via the curator of the (now defunct) David Sarnoff library; the result was this page:
        > http://www.cosmacelf.com/weisbecker.html
        >
        > At the time, I was actually trying to track down Joseph Weisbecker; I was unaware that he had died 14 years earlier. I know that Joyce had contributed 6 Hollinger boxes worth of her father's papers to the library, but I don't know with certainty what became of those papers once the library closed. From the FAQ <http://www.davidsarnoff.org/faq.html>:
        > "The archival collections, including a substantial digital library, were transferred to the Hagley Library & Museum in Wilmington, Delaware: www.hagley.org/library/.
        >
        > "The RCA Broadcast Division Manuals Collection was transferred to InfoAge, http://infoage.org/index.html, where members of the New Jersey Antique Radio Club are cataloging the contents of some 200 archival cartons: www.njarc.org.
        >
        > "The artifacts were transferred to The College of New Jersey Foundation for exhibition in a museum at The College of New Jersey, which will open in April 2011:www.tcnj.edu/.
        >
        > "Select items were donated to InfoAge,http://infoage.org/index.html, and the Camden County Historical Society, www.cchsnj.com/." - Dave

        Dave, it happens that Sarnoff Labs is local to me; The College of New Jersey is half a mile away; and I'm a member of a club (not the Radio Club) that's associated with INfoAge. I also have met several times with the former Sarnoff curator of the collection.

        I have a Web page about those recent events at:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/sarnoff.html

        and it's linked to as an item of "1802 news" on the Membership Card home page.

        To my knowledge there has not been a public exhibit of any Sarnoff effects at TCNJ, but I'll check there shortly (they are on summer schedule and mostly idle). The InfoAge radio club has an outstanding broadcast radio exhibit; I don't know what they have done with the documents they obtained, I can check.

        Another InfoAge group (probably "MARCH") may have a small number of RCA artifacts but they are likely not extraordinary, or in exhibition; I can check this.

        I have no connection with the Camden NJ Historical Society, or to the Hagley. A Google search today of the Hagley's Web site only noted the collection was acquired in 2010 - no recent actions since. They have many Sarnoff references because of David Sarnoff's long and public history.

        I'll update the above Web page with any news.

        Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 5, 2012
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ruske <dave@...> wrote:
          > I emailed Joyce Weisbecker in 2004, and she replied via the curator of the (now defunct) David Sarnoff library; the result was this page:
          > http://www.cosmacelf.com/weisbecker.html

          The upside of getting old is forgetting things. I forgot that I read that tribute to JW. Isn't life wonderful when you can experience everything over again?

          I am still curious to know more about the man, and I will try.

          Cheers,
          Josh
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012
            On 7/4/2012 10:05 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
            >> POV? Persistence Of vision? Point Of View?
            >
            > Yeah, Vision. Take a look at the photo's I'll upload after this post.
            > I've got the ELF strapped to a fan blade!

            I haven't seen the POV photos come through yet. I only saw the posting
            of the .ASM program. Are they on the cosmacelf website? What are their
            names?

            >>> I came across a CMOS Computer Game by Joseph Weisbecker called Flip.

            Joe Weisbecker was the 'father' of the 1802. He is as famous in 1802
            circles as Bill Gates is to Microsoft users (or use-ees). :-).

            --
            *BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
            -- Mahatma Gandhi
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012

              > > I've got the ELF strapped to a fan blade!
              >
              > I haven't seen the POV photos come through yet. I only saw the posting
              > of the .ASM program. Are they on the cosmacelf website? What are their
              > names?

              Yeah, Look in the "Photos" Section, photos 1-20 will appear, click NEXT and look for "Spinning ELF".

              :) J
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012

                joshbensadon wrote:
                > Yeah, Look in the "Photos" Section, photos 1-20 will appear, click NEXT and look for "Spinning ELF".

                I must be blind. Where is the "photos" section of the cosmacelf.com
                website? The only photos I see are the gallery of user's Elf computers.

                --
                Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the
                complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012
                  > I must be blind. Where is the "photos" section of the cosmacelf.com
                  > website? The only photos I see are the gallery of user's Elf computers.

                  You are in the right place, just scroll right down to the bottom.
                  Do you see where it says "1-20 of 32"? Look for the "Next >" button and click it.
                • eight_bit_jdrose
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Nice.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012
                      > Nice.

                      Wow! I'm flattered!

                      That is truly awesome, Josh. You should put that on Hackaday or Youtue
                      or something (with your own name, of course) :-)
                      --
                      Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
                      -- Henry Ford
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 6, 2012
                        That is rather AWESOME!

                        - Bill D
                        ... CRAV Computing Hobbyist : Classic/Retro/Antique/Vintage
                        ..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cravcomp/
                        ..... http://www.donnelly-house.net/
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 7, 2012
                          josh: the elf on the fan is hilarious - thanks for sharing.
                          To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
                          From: leeahart@...
                          Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 20:29:29 -0500
                          Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: ELF MEMBERSHIP CARD - PC Interface

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 7, 2012

                            > Wow! I'm flattered!
                            >
                            > That is truly awesome, Josh. You should put that on Hackaday or Youtue
                            > or something (with your own name, of course) :-)

                            Don't think my name will fit in a full revolution of the fan.

                            My first attempt at POV was a failure. I was trying to make it so you could just wave it back and forth with your arm. I soldered a mercury switch on a DB-25M to the D7 input and was using that to syncronize the display. But, my arm couldn't create an arc long enough and it got tired too fast.

                            Live and learn!

                            :) Josh
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 7, 2012
                              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, bill rowe <bill_rowe_ottawa@...> wrote:

                              > josh: the elf on the fan is hilarious - thanks for sharing.

                              Thanks, I guess you can say it doesn't suck but it "blows".

                              Actually, it was so badly out of balance the fan couldn't reach it's full rpm. I was worried that there would be an ELF flinged across my workshop. But in the end, it all "turned" out fine.

                              Ok, I promise not to make any more "jokes"

                              Cheers,
                              Josh
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 7, 2012
                                joshbensadon wrote:
                                > Thanks, I guess you can say it doesn't suck but it "blows".

                                Ouch!

                                > Actually, it was so badly out of balance the fan couldn't reach its
                                > full rpm. I was worried that there would be an ELF flung across my
                                > workshop.

                                Ah, another 1802 launched into space!

                                > But in the end, it all "turned" out fine.

                                Ow! Please don't change your career to gag writer. The political
                                speeches are bad enough.

                                Anyway... You could probably balance it by putting the batteries on one
                                blade and the boards on an opposite blade. Using a reed switch and a
                                magnet sounds like a perfect way to synchronize it. An ordinary light
                                dimmer will speed control the motor for finesse.

                                --
                                If you would not be forgotten
                                When your body's dead and rotten
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 7, 2012
                                  You could probably put it on a stick that has a 90 degree / right angle
                                  handle attached to one end that allows it to spin, attach the unit to
                                  the far end of the stick, and then just spin the stick in your hand.
                                  (kind of like those noise makers you spin in your hand)
                                  You couldn't see it, but others would. (unless you put some connected
                                  position-matched LED's on your side, too)
                                • wmaalouli
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 17, 2012
                                    Josh, what needs to be done on the MC side to set it up to accept or receive files from the PC using your interface program?

                                    Walid

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 17, 2012
                                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "wmaalouli" <wmaalouli@...> wrote:

                                      > Josh, what needs to be done on the MC side to set it up to accept or receive files from the PC using your interface program?
                                      >
                                      > Walid

                                      When you start the program it tells you. Turn all switches ON or UP except the Memory Protect switch, turn it to READ only.

                                      Be sure your IN switch is mounted correctly, another user reported having it installed backwards. You can tell when loading data, the LED's should update only when you remove your finger from the button.
                                      ie, switch depressed.
                                    • wmaalouli
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 17, 2012
                                        Easy enough. Thanks! My IN button seems to work as advertised by the way:)

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 17, 2012
                                          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "wmaalouli" <wmaalouli@...> wrote:

                                          > Easy enough. Thanks! My IN button seems to work as advertised by the way:)
                                          >
                                          > Walid

                                          Cool, Let me know how it works for you.