Re: Shopping for first Elf kit

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 10 8:34 PM
      > Were there any full function commercially available personal computers that were based on the 1802? All I can think of are kits, single boards, trainers and such.

      Yes, the COMX 35 computer.
      I don't know of any others.
    • eight_bit_jdrose
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11 2:48 PM
        Exceptionally cool.

        I am guessing that it is not the easiest machine to find.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 11 2:56 PM
          I was reading my computer collectors handbook, and they list the COMX as the only computer using 1802. They were made in Japan. There are some around, you see them pop up on ebay now and then. That's where I got mine. I haven't even powered it up yet... don't know if it even works. When I do get around to it, I'll be sure to take lots of pics and document the machine. But that won't be until closer to the end of this year (many other projects in the queue).

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "eight_bit_jdrose" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

          > Exceptionally cool.
          >
          > I am guessing that it is not the easiest machine to find.
          >

          > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "joshbensadon" <joshbensadon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Were there any full function commercially available personal computers that were based on the 1802? All I can think of are kits, single boards, trainers and such.
          > >
          > > Yes, the COMX 35 computer.
          > > I don't know of any others.

        • awasson2001
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11 3:07 PM
            Also the Percom 32/64 computers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecom_64

            There was also another but I can't recall what it was.

            Andrew

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11 3:33 PM
              I guess the "hand book" is wrong. Nice computer! I like how the keyboard is layed out... very pioneer like. Thanks Andrew! I hope you recall the other and post it.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 11 4:24 PM
                On 6/11/2012 4:56 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                > I was reading my computer collectors handbook, and they list the COMX as the only computer using 1802. They were made in Japan. There are some around, you see them pop up on ebay now and then. That's where I got mine. I haven't even powered it up yet... don't know if it even works. When I do get around to it, I'll be sure to take lots of pics and document the machine. But that won't be until closer to the end of this year (many other projects in the queue).

                Hardly. :-) RCA's own development systems were complete computers with
                full keyboard, 80x24 character screen, disk drives, disk operating
                system, several languages, etc.

                Their Microboards could also be assembled into a pretty complete
                computer, with a color display.

                --
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
                and looks like work. -- Thomas A. Edison
                Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
              • eight_bit_jdrose
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11 5:04 PM
                  That is cool to know. Although I wouldn't consider a manufacturer's development system a retail personal computer.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 11 10:16 PM

                    On 6/11/2012 7:04 PM, eight_bit_jdrose wrote:
                    > That is cool to know. Although I wouldn't consider a manufacturer's
                    > development system a retail personal computer.

                    No, of course not. RCA's development system was something like $3000
                    (depending on options). The Hughes HMDS 1802 development system that we
                    had at Technical Micro Systems was more like $10,000!

                    But I didn't realize you wanted to restrict it to retail-only computers.
                    Though even in that case, there were lots of 1802 computers of various
                    capabilities besides the COMX.

                    --
                    First they ignore you; then they mock you; then they fight you; then you
                    win.
                    Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
                  • eight_bit_jdrose
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 11 10:32 PM
                      Sorry that I was not more clear. I was wondering about 1802 equivalents of the 6510 C64 and Z80 TRS-80 personal computers. The Comx-35 and Pecom-64 are good examples of 1802 systems I am asking about.

                      The