Re: [cosmacelf] .hex files

  • Dennis Boone
    Message 1 of 50 , Jun 10, 2012
      > There are a number of ".hex" files available in the files section and I
      > would like to convert them to binary so I can load them into my ELF. I
      > have tried using the unix xxd command without any success. Has anyone
      > got a quick and dirty solution to change hex to bin?

      One tool that's handy for various hex work is Srecord. It understands a
      lot of different formats and can convert between them, plus do various
      kinds of even/odd split and edits and such.

      If you've got a simple enough input hex format, a little command line
      perl can do wonders. I'm guessing you probably have moto or intel hex,
      though.

      De
    • Dexter
      Message 50 of 50 , Jun 15, 2012
        Wow both of you need to lighten up. This is supposed to be for fun.

        I like both old tech and new tech. I think it's interesting when someone
        can take old tech and make it do new things with new tech bolted onto
        it.

        I'm an old fart and I don't yell "You kids get off the lawn", I turn the
        sprinkler system on instead ;)

        Steve

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "thinkpast" <hjohnson@...> wrote:

        > Chuck Bigham chuck@ wrote:
        >
        > > I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people on
        > > this mailing list -- Lee especially. But sometimes it seems
        > > like there is a willful reluctance to acknowledge that times
        > > have changed, and that people today have different
        > > expectations for computers -- and that developers have
        > > a different set of problems to overcome. And rather than
        > > say "this is how to get our old technology to work with
        > > the latest and greatest" we have a tendency to say "that
        > > new stuff is just breaking the old stuff, it's not any
        > > good." Or --
        > >
        > > "You kids get off my lawn."
        >
        > I don't much care for that response, Chuck. You are getting personal
        and judgmental - that's not your call to make. This is a forum for
        interests in 35-year-old processors - what's either "latest" OR
        "greatest" about THAT, dude? I'm an old man, I use old tools. All kinds
        of craftspersons use old tools, it's called "traditional" when they do
        it for big bucks. I'm all for preservation of old tech, I have a Web
        domain devoted to it - largely in response to "newer is better, old is
        dead" attitudes. Here's why I bother.

        > Old tools and methods are informative about issues and methods of
        their times, and of use of scare resources, or of limited knowledge.
        Those conditions re-appear when new technologies appear. Without the
        knowledge of legacy solutions and methods, some amount of that knowledge
        has to be reinvented, experience regained.

        > Old tech is also informative for those just learning a given
        technology. AND - informative for those who ONLY have access to limited
        tools, for any number of reasons. Therefore, preservation has utility
        even by "modern" standards.

        > Finally, some people simply enjoy old tech, either from simplicity,
        nostalgia, or from personal experience. Museums, craft events, antique
        stores, hobby stores, on and on - all service that class of interest.

        > If none of that appeals to you, Chuck; or you get tired of people who
        aren't modern enough for you - I won't respond in kind to your judgement
        call and chase you "off my lawn". Stay or go, but don't curse the "old
        men" who mowed the lawn with push mowers, who grouse occasionally about
        trying to use a gas mower, while you sit on your garden tractor telling
        them to "get modern".

        > And when the kid with the Astroturf lawn laughs at YOU, Chuck, maybe
        you'll remember this little conversation. Enjoy your ride.