Super BASIC

  • Gemeny, Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10 9:11 AM
      I just pulled out my old QUEST brochure...

      Page 8 and 9 describe Super BASIC by Ron Cenker. Included were over 80
      statements, interrupt handling, Integer and Floating Point, along with a
      Trace command, and full string capabilities. It required at least 12K of
      RAM starting at H000. Initially it was sold for $40.00 on Cassette, and
      "ROM and Stringy Floppy versions will be available soon".

      Sure would be nice!

      Steve
      Feel free to post this (and more that I have) on cosmacelf.com

    • jpeell
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10 11:19 AM
        Sure it would be nice!

        I got an old Quest computer from a friend of mine and... he got it
        from an old stock retailler in Boston which... happened to be only a
        few blocks from my house. The retailler said the Quest was "waiting"
        there for years. If I knew...
      • Gemeny, Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10 11:27 AM
          What is the condition, configuration and what manuals/documentation came
          with it.

          Can you send a picture?

          I may be able to help.

          Mine is fully loaded and I've got all the original documentation.

          See 'ya,
          Steve

          AKA aa3nm{at}amsat.org

          I got an old Quest computer from a friend of mine and... he got it
          from an old stock retailler in Boston which... happened to be only a
          few blocks from my house. The retailler said the Quest was "waiting"
          there for years. If I knew...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17055661
          62:HM/A=1046314/R=1/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17055661
          62:HM/A=1046314/R=2/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>
          Height: 4 5 6 7 ft 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 in
          Weight:
          Sex: F M

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupmai
          l/S=1705566162:HM/A=1046314/rand=945584962>

          Message 4 of 9 , May 11 8:28 PM
            Gemeny, Steve wrote:
            > Page 8 and 9 describe Super BASIC by Ron Cenker. Included were over 80
            > statements, interrupt handling, Integer and Floating Point, along with
            > a Trace command, and full string capabilities. It required at least
            > 12K of RAM starting at H000.

            Interesting! The RCA BASIC3 source code I have was also written by Ron
            Cenker. I wonder where he is nowdays?
            --
            Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
            814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13 6:42 AM
              Lee,

              I wonder about the possibility of assembling the code again for BASIC3.
              There is reason to believe that they may be the same product. The Quest
              brochure includes the statement "two other major world wide distributors
              will be announcing Full Function BASICs based upon Ron Cenker's SUPER
              BASIC". That coupled with Ron's involvement on your BASIC may cinch it.

              I too have noticed some significant differences between COSMAC and PsudoSam
              assembly language.

              I was digging in my archive over the weekend and I think I remember seeing
              some RCA documentation on the COSMAC assembler that could help.

              I'll take a look specifically at that issue tonight if you like.

              Anyone have a copy of the COSMAC Assembler?

              Later,
              Steve

              > Page 8 and 9 describe Super BASIC by Ron Cenker. Included were over 80
              > statements, interrupt handling, Integer and Floating Point, along with
              > a Trace command, and full string capabilities. It required at least
              > 12K of RAM starting at H000.

              Interesting! The RCA BASIC3 source code I have was also written by Ron
              Cenker. I wonder where he is nowdays?
              --
              Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
              814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering
              Sartell, MN 56377 USA There is a crack in everything
              leeahart_at_earthlink.net That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17055661
              62:HM/A=1046314/R=1/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17055661
              62:HM/A=1046314/R=2/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>
              Height: 4 5 6 7 ft 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 in
              Weight:
              Sex: F M

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupmai
              l/S=1705566162:HM/A=1046314/rand=740704579>

            • Gemeny, Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13 7:33 AM
                Lee,

                OH...
                ... (Pregnant Pause Continues)
                ... (Thinking happens here)

                Is there anything I can do to help?

                Is there anyone, (like the guy who got the COSMAC In Circuit Emulation
                system off Ebay a few months ago) out there with the correct hardware to
                make your work easier?

                Steve

                Message 7 of 9 , May 13 9:00 AM

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13 9:54 AM
                    Gemeny, Steve wrote:
                    > Is there anything I can do to help?
                    >
                    > Is there anyone, (like the guy who got the COSMAC In Circuit Emulation
                    > system off Ebay a few months ago) out there with the correct hardware
                    > to make your work easier?

                    I don't know. The two things that occur to me would be:

                    1. Find someone with a working RCA development system with 8" disks
                    who could read the BASIC3 disk, and copy it out to some more modern
                    media.

                    2. Same, but assemble the program so we have a known correct .HEX file.
                    From that, it is easy to deduce what order the pieces of source code
                    go in.

                    3. From there, we need to patch the I/O to use whatever hardware the
                    computer you want to run it on has.

                    Note that as written, this code obviously is intended to run on the RCA
                    Microboards. It is "BASIC3 version 1.1 by Ron Cenker, Copyright 1981 by
                    RCA". It is intended to be run from ROM starting at B000-DFFF, with RAM
                    at 0000 and up.
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13 11:17 AM

                      my Quest came with no documentation. Only a thick layer of dust! It
                      took an hour to clean it but the unit seems to be in condition. I
                      will try to take a picture of it and post the scan.

                      John