Membership Card

    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2012
      Hi Lee,

      I can't remember where I saw the ordering instructions for your membership card. I would like to have one in my collection... where do I go to see what's up for sale?

      Thanks,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2012
        On 5/21/2012 9:09 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
        > Hi Lee,
        >
        > I can't remember where I saw the ordering instructions for your membership card. I would like to have one in my collection... where do I go to see what's up for sale?

        I don't have a website, so Herb Johnson kindly put the data on his
        website. The current (rev.C) version is at:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/mem_revC.html

        And the price and ordering information is at

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/memship.html#status
        --
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
        and looks like work. -- Thomas A. Edison
        Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
      • Josh Bensadon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
          Hi Lee,

          It came today... of course I am really busy with work but this project is TOO good to let sit on the shelf!  I've already got most of it put together.  But... I think I lost one of those little pins for the RAM/CPU socket, I need just 1 more.  Further, I was testing the switches before putting them into the board,  would you believe that two of them broke?  The screw part cracked away from the frame,  I'll send you a picture after dinner.

          Can I please trouble you to send me a couple more switches and 1 more pin?
          I'll paypal you $3 for your trouble.

          Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
            On 6/4/2012 5:38 PM, Josh Bensadon wrote:
            > Hi Lee,
            >
            > It came today... of course I am really busy with work but this project is TOO good to let sit on the shelf! I've already got most of it put together. But... I think I lost one of those little pins for the RAM/CPU socket, I need just 1 more. Further, I was testing the switches before putting them into the board, would you believe that two of them broke? The screw part cracked away from the frame, I'll send you a picture after dinner.
            >
            > Can I please trouble you to send me a couple more switches and 1 more pin?
            > I'll paypal you $3 for your trouble.

            I normally send one extra of the socket pins, because they are so darned
            easy to lose. I'll send you a couple more.

            *Two* switches broke? That's bad! Two other people said that one of
            theirs broke. I suspect the vendor has switched parts or outsourced
            production to China or something. Grr... I think I will switch switch
            vendors.

            You shouldn't have to pay for bad switches. I'll tell you what: I have
            some 5101 CMOS RAMs -- I'll send you two of them with the switches and
            socket pins as compensation. :-)

            --
            *BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
            -- Mahatma Gandhi
            Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
          • Josh Bensadon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
              Hi Lee,

              >I normally send one extra of the socket pins, because they are so darned
              easy to lose. I'll send you a couple more.

              I was looking at the bag suspiciously after I opened it too soon...  I spent a good 5 minutes searching the floor when I came up short 1... but that doesn't mean a thing! I once lost a 1/4" spacer on my floor for a week, and I looked for it lilke crazy for 15 minutes after I even followed which direction it fell to... my point is, I have a haunted carpet.  I'm trying to harness it's engergy to time travel back to 1976!

              >*Two* switches broke? That's bad! Two other people said that one of
              theirs broke. I suspect the vendor has switched parts or outsourced
              production to China or something. Grr... I think I will switch switch
              vendors.

              Yes, I was just holding the body while testing the toggle action.  I guess it really should be mechanically supported by the threaded neck.  See picture attached.   Perhaps the switch vendor gave you the switch?  Please test the two switches yourself.

              >You shouldn't have to pay for bad switches. I'll tell you what: I have
              some 5101 CMOS RAMs -- I'll send you two of them with the switches and
              socket pins as compensation. :-)

              Well, it's not your fault either really.  Tell you what, I have lots of those 5101's already but what I really liked was the 4013 you sent me with the '79 date code.  If you would send me a couple more of those (or any other LS/HC/CMOS chip with a '79 date code) I would be very happy!

              Cheers,
              Josh

              Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
                Josh Bensadon wrote:
                > Tell you what, I have lots of those 5101's already but what I really
                > liked was the 4013 you sent me with the '79 date code. If you would
                > send me a couple more of those (or any other LS/HC/CMOS chip with
                > a '79 date code) I would be very happy!

                That's easy; I have tubes of them. Part of the reason for making the
                Membership Card with the parts it has is because I still have lots of
                parts left over from the "old days". This was a good way to put them to
                work!

                I have lots of 1970's CMOS. Any reason for 1979 date codes in particular?
                --
                Ring the bells that still can ring
                Forget your perfect offering
                Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
              • Josh Bensadon
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
                  HI Lee,

                  Great!  Any 1970ish part is fine.  I have a preference of either CMOS chips that were used in the original ELF (4013 was one of them) or 74xx chips that are often used on the other 8 bit machines of that era.  Now that I know you have a stock of them, perhaps the next time I'm looking for something, I'll ask you.  I also have a bunch of chips, some from the good old days too.

                  I sometimes wonder, when am I ever going to use some of those chips?  But I can't bring myself to part with them!

                  Would you happen to have an MC3470P ? It's a Read Head amplifier from a Floppy Drive.

                  Cheers,
                  Josh

                  Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net