Netronics repairman

  • Glen Roger
    Message 1 of 15 , May 13, 2012
      Hello List,
      Is there anyone out there who might be interested in troubleshooting my
      Giant Board? I don't have the skills.

      My Netronics keyboard/monitor will talk to my PC. The PC talks to the
      monitor. The Elf/Giant Board talks to the monitor in Klingon. After I
      load BASIC it always sends out a message but I can't decipher the message.
      I've looked at it in binary and there is no rhyme or reason... but it is a
      consistent message. I believe it is a voltage level or timing thing but my
      skill set won't solve the problem.

      I could pack it up and mail it to someone - if that would work.

      Thanks.

      Glen

        Message 3 of 15 , May 13, 2012
          Hi Glen,

          I would *LOVE* to fix this for you. Where do you live?
          I'm in Toronto, so if you are in the US, it will cost a lot for shipping across the border. Anyway, let's talk and consider me "Plan A". It would always be best to get a few plans. Further, I would agree to pay you a deposit since you don't know who I am.

          But after reading your post, it sounds like you have a baud rate issue. You might want to try different baud rates, different terminal? An oscillioscope would be an asset to trouble shoot.

          Regards,
          Josh

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Glen Roger <glenroger@...> wrote:

          > Hello List,
          > Is there anyone out there who might be interested in troubleshooting my
          > Giant Board? I don't have the skills.
          >
          > My Netronics keyboard/monitor will talk to my PC. The PC talks to the
          > monitor. The Elf/Giant Board talks to the monitor in Klingon. After I
          > load BASIC it always sends out a message but I can't decipher the message.
          > I've looked at it in binary and there is no rhyme or reason... but it is a
          > consistent message. I believe it is a voltage level or timing thing but my
          > skill set won't solve the problem.
          >
          > I could pack it up and mail it to someone - if that would work.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Glen

        • Glen Roger
          Message 4 of 15 , May 13, 2012
            I'm near Vancouver in Canada.

            It worked in 1981 with my Netronics terminal - set at 300 baud 7-n-1.
            Changing the baud rates with the Netronics terminal involves soldering so
            that's not a good option for debugging. With Hyperterminal on my PC I've
            tried 110, 300, 1200 and all variations of character length, parity and
            stop bits with no success.

            I've tried changing xmt and rcv around. The original Giant Board and Video
            Terminal manuals are in conflict with respect to jumper J4 and J5 on the
            Giant Board. But again, I think I've got it right with J5.

            I have two different versions of BASIC. One begins C0 10 00 and the other
            begins 71 00 E4 - and they behave slightly differently in terms of the
            Klingon messages they send. The second one responds better with the
            Netronics terminal. When I type in a series of characters it seems to send
            something back - as if I've entered gibberish at a terminal and it is
            sending back "What?" Hitting CR gets me "9" or lower case "y" -
            consistently.

            The voltages on pins 2 and 3 are as follows:
            2 3
            PC .2 -11
            Terminal 0 -3
            ELF 0 -8

            The voltages change when I hit a character.

            Hmmmm - can't think of anything else to add for now.

            Thanks.

            Glen

            On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM, joshbensadon <joshbensadon@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Glen,
            >
            > I would *LOVE* to fix this for you. Where do you live?
            > I'm in Toronto, so if you are in the US, it will cost a lot for shipping
            > across the border. Anyway, let's talk and consider me "Plan A". It would
            > always be best to get a few plans. Further, I would agree to pay you a
            > deposit since you don't know who I am.
            >
            > But after reading your post, it sounds like you have a baud rate issue.
            > You might want to try different baud rates, different terminal? An
            > oscillioscope would be an asset to trouble shoot.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Josh
            >

            > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Glen Roger <glenroger@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello List,
            > > Is there anyone out there who might be interested in troubleshooting my
            > > Giant Board? I don't have the skills.
            > >
            > > My Netronics keyboard/monitor will talk to my PC. The PC talks to the
            > > monitor. The Elf/Giant Board talks to the monitor in Klingon. After I
            > > load BASIC it always sends out a message but I can't decipher the
            > message.
            > > I've looked at it in binary and there is no rhyme or reason... but it is
            > > consistent message. I believe it is a voltage level or timing thing but
            > my
            > > skill set won't solve the problem.
            > >
            > > I could pack it up and mail it to someone - if that would work.
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > Glen

            Glen Roger, IP 38-190, Blue Pearl, Vancouver
            home in Abbotsford for the summer
            thebluepearl.ca

          • ohsnxo
            Message 5 of 15 , May 14, 2012
              Hyperterminal, to my limited experience, has trouble changing the baudrate. You've tried configure/exit/restart Hyperterminal with each speed ?

              > Hitting CR gets me "9" or lower case "y"

              y is 0111'1001 and CR 0000'1101. That would make sense if PC were at half speed, or third.

              Juha
            • Josh Bensadon
              Message 6 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                HI Glen,

                Well, as someone else pointed out, Hyperterminal has it's issues with baud rates and data bits.  Do you have a copy of Telix?  What version of windows are you running?
                Let's try more known tools to eliminate the unknowns.

                Those voltages look good enough (except for the -3... it's marginal).

                I attached a copy of this old DOS program, Telix.

                Get back to me... perhaps we should talk on the phone??? I have free long distance.
                Name a good time to call you.  I'll see if I am free then.

                Josh

> [...]

                > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Glen Roger <glenroger@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello List,
                > > Is there anyone out there who might be interested in troubleshooting my
                > > Giant Board? I don't have the skills.
                > >
                > > My Netronics keyboard/monitor will talk to my PC. The PC talks to the
                > > monitor. The Elf/Giant Board talks to the monitor in Klingon. After I
                > > load BASIC it always sends out a message but I can't decipher the
                > message.
                > > I've looked at it in binary and there is no rhyme or reason... but it is
                > > consistent message. I believe it is a voltage level or timing thing but
                > my
                > > skill set won't solve the problem.
                > >
                > > I could pack it up and mail it to someone - if that would work.
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Glen

                Glen Roger, IP 38-190, Blue Pearl, Vancouver

              • Dennis Boone
                Message 7 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                  > Well, as someone else pointed out, Hyperterminal has it's issues with
                  > baud rates and data bits.

                  It has lots of other problems, in the version M$ have distributed with
                  windoze forever, but the only problem I've had with serial parameters on
                  hyperterm is that you have to "disconnect" and "reconnect" to get
                  changes to actually take effect.

                  > Do you have a copy of Telix? What version of windows are you
                  > running?

                  ...Telix IS much nicer.

                  > Hitting CR gets me "9" or lower case "y" - consistently.

                  Interesting that those are one bit different. Might be a clue.

                  De
                • ekeefe8051
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                    Hello,

                    The "Klingon" text could also be a parity or data length issue.

                    If you could post the bad text, or a picture of it, maybe it can be figured out.

                    Regarding software for com port communications, I use Bray's Terminal. It is free and you can download it here:

                    https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

                    Hope this helps,

                    ED

                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Glen Roger <glenroger@...> wrote:

                    > Hello List,
                    > Is there anyone out there who might be interested in troubleshooting my
                    > Giant Board? I don't have the skills.
                    >
                    > My Netronics keyboard/monitor will talk to my PC. The PC talks to the
                    > monitor. The Elf/Giant Board talks to the monitor in Klingon. After I
                    > load BASIC it always sends out a message but I can't decipher the message.
                    > I've looked at it in binary and there is no rhyme or reason... but it is a
                    > consistent message. I believe it is a voltage level or timing thing but my
                    > skill set won't solve the problem.
                    >
                    > I could pack it up and mail it to someone - if that would work.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Glen

                  • Glen Roger
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                      I appreciate all the help. The idea of a better terminal program is a good
                      one. Brays doesn't go down to 300 baud but I did find one that is much
                      more informative.

                      With 300 7e1 (what the Netronics Monitor manual suggests) I get the
                      following line upon start up...

                      0D7F7F0A0000000D7F7F0A0000006171797960011460636D7278757171070D7F7F0A0000007A11

                      I see CRs and LFs in there but I'm not sure about the rest.

                      This is with the version of Tiny Basic that begins 71 00 E4. I have tried
                      all variations of baud rate, data word length, parity and stop bits. At
                      300 baud it remains very consistent with line above.

                      I've been thinking that I might not have a good version of Tiny Basic for
                      Netronics. I looked on the site for a good binary image or a wav file but
                      only succeeded in finding source files that I have to assemble. The
                      assembler that I'm using is giving me all kinds of grief.

                      When I use the version of BASIC that begins C1 10 00 there seems to be no
                      interaction.

                      Thanks.

                      Glen

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                        > 300 baud it remains very consistent with line above.

                        In binary, in case it might reveal something.
                        The CRLF + NUL/DEL padding looks good.

                        Juha

                        0015 13 ( 13) 0x0d ^M 0000'0000'0000'1101'
                        0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111'
                        0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111'
                        0012 10 ( 10) 0x0a ^J 0000'0000'0000'1010'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0015 13 ( 13) 0x0d ^M 0000'0000'0000'1101'
                        0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111'
                        0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111'
                        0012 10 ( 10) 0x0a ^J 0000'0000'0000'1010'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0141 97 ( 97) 0x61 a 0000'0000'0110'0001'
                        0161 113 (113) 0x71 q 0000'0000'0111'0001'
                        0171 121 (121) 0x79 y 0000'0000'0111'1001'
                        0171 121 (121) 0x79 y 0000'0000'0111'1001'
                        0140 96 ( 96) 0x60 ` 0000'0000'0110'0000'
                        0001 1 ( 1) 0x01 ^A 0000'0000'0000'0001'
                        0024 20 ( 20) 0x14 ^T 0000'0000'0001'0100'
                        0140 96 ( 96) 0x60 ` 0000'0000'0110'0000'
                        0143 99 ( 99) 0x63 c 0000'0000'0110'0011'
                        0155 109 (109) 0x6d m 0000'0000'0110'1101'
                        0162 114 (114) 0x72 r 0000'0000'0111'0010'
                        0170 120 (120) 0x78 x 0000'0000'0111'1000'
                        0165 117 (117) 0x75 u 0000'0000'0111'0101'
                        0161 113 (113) 0x71 q 0000'0000'0111'0001'
                        0161 113 (113) 0x71 q 0000'0000'0111'0001'
                        0007 7 ( 7) 0x07 ^G 0000'0000'0000'0111'
                        0015 13 ( 13) 0x0d ^M 0000'0000'0000'1101'
                        0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111'
                        0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111'
                        0012 10 ( 10) 0x0a ^J 0000'0000'0000'1010'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000'
                        0172 122 (122) 0x7a z 0000'0000'0111'1010'
                        0021 17 ( 17) 0x11 ^Q 0000'0000'0001'0001'
                      • ohsnxo
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                          Flipping each bit 0x40 gives
                          M??J@@@M??J@@@!199 AT #-28511GM??J@@@:Q

                          Promising :)
                          Juha
                        • Paul Backhouse
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 15, 2012
                            Suspicion around the terminal program could be a bit of a red herring.

                            I've used HyperTerminal (on XP Pro sp3) OK with both ELFII giant bd and
                            ELF2K.

                            Just BTW & FWIW. the jump to BASIC in ROM on my giant board is C0 F0 00

                            Any further depress of the ELFII hex pad INP key screws up the handshake.

                            In full Basic, first press of <RETURN> on the PC keyboard negotiates Baud
                            and brings up the "<32/64?>" character width selection prompt.

                            My "least demanding" starting point for ELFII when comms looked flakey was
                            TTY at 110 Baud with 8-N-1. I tweaked treat ASCii as 7 bit.

                            Have also used PuTTY (free) successfully with ELF2K.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 15, 2012
                              Sorry. F0 00 is the monitor of course. The cold start for Basic on my
                              setup is 00 03.

                              From: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:cosmacelf%40yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 15, 2012
                                > 0D7F7F0A0000000D7F7F0A00000061717979600114
                                > 60636D7278757171070D7F7F0A0000007A11

                                It's effectively flipping the 0x40 bit in open text, but not in device
                                control stuff. It looks to me like the unit is probably configured for
                                a paper tape reader.

                                Does anyone know what the signon message for these BASIC ROMs is
                                _supposed_ to look like?

                                De

                                0015 13 ( 13) 0x0d ^M 0000'0000'0000'1101' 0d cr
                                0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111' 7f del
                                0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111' 7f del
                                0012 10 ( 10) 0x0a ^J 0000'0000'0000'1010' 0a nl
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0015 13 ( 13) 0x0d ^M 0000'0000'0000'1101' 0d cr
                                0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111' 7f del
                                0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111' 7f del
                                0012 10 ( 10) 0x0a ^J 0000'0000'0000'1010' 0a nl
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0141 97 ( 97) 0x61 a 0000'0000'0110'0001' 21 !
                                0161 113 (113) 0x71 q 0000'0000'0111'0001' 31 1
                                0171 121 (121) 0x79 y 0000'0000'0111'1001' 39 9
                                0171 121 (121) 0x79 y 0000'0000'0111'1001' 39 9
                                0140 96 ( 96) 0x60 ` 0000'0000'0110'0000' 20 sp
                                0001 1 ( 1) 0x01 ^A 0000'0000'0000'0001' 41 A
                                0024 20 ( 20) 0x14 ^T 0000'0000'0001'0100' 54 T
                                0140 96 ( 96) 0x60 ` 0000'0000'0110'0000' 20 sp
                                0143 99 ( 99) 0x63 c 0000'0000'0110'0011' 23 #
                                0155 109 (109) 0x6d m 0000'0000'0110'1101' 2d -
                                0162 114 (114) 0x72 r 0000'0000'0111'0010' 32 2
                                0170 120 (120) 0x78 x 0000'0000'0111'1000' 38 8
                                0165 117 (117) 0x75 u 0000'0000'0111'0101' 35 5
                                0161 113 (113) 0x71 q 0000'0000'0111'0001' 31 1
                                0161 113 (113) 0x71 q 0000'0000'0111'0001' 31 1
                                0007 7 ( 7) 0x07 ^G 0000'0000'0000'0111' 07 bel
                                0015 13 ( 13) 0x0d ^M 0000'0000'0000'1101' 0d cr
                                0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111' 7f del
                                0177 127 (127) 0x7f ^ 0000'0000'0111'1111' 7f del
                                0012 10 ( 10) 0x0a ^J 0000'0000'0000'1010' 0a nl
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0000 0 ( 0) 0x00 ^@ 0000'0000'0000'0000' 00 nul
                                0172 122 (122) 0x7a z 0000'0000'0111'1010' 3a :
                                0021 17 ( 17) 0x11 ^Q 0000'0000'0001'0001' 11 dc1
                              • Glen Roger
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 15, 2012
                                  In the Giant Board instructions pins 2, 12, and 4 (at area 14) are TX RCV
                                  and GND but in the Netronics Video Board instructions it is pins 3, 12, and
                                  4.

                                  So what is it? pin 2 (A14) or 3 (A14)? Can someone with a working Giant
                                  Board let me know?

                                  Thanks.

                                  Glen