      From: Lee Hart <leeahart@...>
      Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Seven Segment Displays
      To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 5:46 PM

      >>> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2118580_-1

      > Mr. Hart, That is a nice, contrasty display at a decent price.

      > Do you know if there is a version of this display that is serial instead?

      I'm not the original poster. I haven't used this particular one, but I

      have used a number of similar ones. There are *hundreds* of them on the

      market! Almost all of them have 4-bit or 8-bit parallel interfaces. The

      protocol varies from display to display, so you *need* to have

      documentation on it, or you'll spend/waste a lot of time

      reverse-engineering it.

      To get a serial I2C interface, they add a microcomputer. To get an

      asynchronous serial interface (RS-232 etc.), it also needs a stable

      accurate clock forthe baud rate. These add cost. Typically, they make a

      little board with the micro and associated parts for the serial

      interface, and then plug in some generic LCD module with a parallel

      interface onto it. These generally sell for $20 and up (i.e. about twice

      the cost of the parallel LCD modules alone).

      --

      An engineer can do for a nickel what any damn fool can do for a dollar.

      -- Henry Ford

      Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net