9947Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Seven Segment Displays

    Apr 3, 2012
      On 4/3/2012 6:31 PM, eight_bit_jdrose wrote:
      Lee Hart wrote:
      >>> I have used the 2X16 character displays like
      >>> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2118580_-1

      > Mr. Hart, That is a nice, contrasty display at a decent price.
      > Do you know if there is a version of this display that is serial instead?

      I'm not the original poster. I haven't used this particular one, but I
      have used a number of similar ones. There are *hundreds* of them on the
      market! Almost all of them have 4-bit or 8-bit parallel interfaces. The
      protocol varies from display to display, so you *need* to have
      documentation on it, or you'll spend/waste a lot of time
      reverse-engineering it.

      To get a serial I2C interface, they add a microcomputer. To get an
      asynchronous serial interface (RS-232 etc.), it also needs a stable
      accurate clock forthe baud rate. These add cost. Typically, they make a
      little board with the micro and associated parts for the serial
      interface, and then plug in some generic LCD module with a parallel
      interface onto it. These generally sell for $20 and up (i.e. about twice
      the cost of the parallel LCD modules alone).

      --
      An engineer can do for a nickel what any damn fool can do for a dollar.
      -- Henry Ford
      Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic