7879Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Did I miss something

    Aug 2 8:58 AM
      On 7/29/2011 3:04 PM, the-eagle@... wrote:
      > I have been fooled for all these years, back in 1977/78 when I put my
      > COSMAC ELF together, I thought I was assembling a computer that was
      > used in the early spaceflight program.

      You could still be correct. There have been thousands of spacecraft.
      It's not easy to ferret out what NASA used. Many military aerospace
      projects are classified, so we have no idea what they used. The 1802 was
      a logical choice.

      The web is helpful, but is not a very reliable source of data. You can
      find correct answers, but also every permutation of wrong answers to
      most questions. :-)

      One little nugget I can add: Ham radio operators have been building and
      deploying their own amateur satellites since 1972. They formed AMSAT
      (AMateur SATellite Corp), which has built a long line of OSCAR
      satellites, getting them into orbit by "hitchhiking" a ride on various
      government and commercial launches (the ham satellites are used as
      ballast or filler in some other mission).

      Anyway, the Jan 1979 issue of Byte Magazine had an article "IPS: An
      Unorthodox High Level Language" by Dr. Karl Meinzer. It described a
      version of FORTH that was used on the 1802 in the ham's OSCAR
      satellites. I haven't found dates for all the OSCAR launches, but AMSAT
      OSCAR-10, launched in 6/16/1983, definitely had an 1802 on board. This
      definitely precedes Galileo's launch in 1989.