7227Re: Cheap ($10) logic analyzer ready to be built

  • ted_rossin
    Dec 6, 2010
      The PICkit 2 is $35 from Mouser (just $15 more than you would like to spend). I don't plan on selling preprogrammed parts but I have programmed up parts for people in the past that have sent them to me with some cash to cover return postage.

      Yes. Once you get one programmed, you can update it through the serial port. The 1861 emulator does not have this feature so once it is programmed, you are stuck with it.

      Send me an email for my home address if you want to send me parts.

      Ted.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, John Porubek <jporubek@...> wrote:

      > Ted,
      >
      > First, great to see your website back on the air! Thanks for sharing
      > all your interesting projects.
      >
      > I'm very interested in your cheap logic analyzer (and in the 1802
      > clone). I know very little about PICs as I'm more into the MSP430
      > family. That's where my limited budget for development tools goes. So:
      >
      > 1) Do you have any plans to make a PIC chip available preprogrammed
      > with the logic analyzer firmware? From what I understand, I could then
      > program upgrades through the serial port.
      >
      > 2) Or, if I bought the proper chip and sent it to you, could you
      > program it with the firmware?
      >
      > 3) Or, failing those alternatives, what is the rock-bottom cheapest
      > way to program a PIC? I'm looking for MSP430 LaunchPad cheap ($4.30)
      > or, at most, EZ430 cheap ($20). I did a quick check of PICkit 2 and
      > PICkit 3 pricing, and that's more than I can justify spending for a
      > processor family I probably won't be doing any development with.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > --John
      >
      > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM, ted_rossin <ted_rossin@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I finished up my first version of the PIC 18F2620 cheap logic analyzer (about $10) which is capable of taking 3936 samples at a 5M sample/second rate (200ns/sample).  You can find the new project here:
      > >
      > > http://www.tedrossin.0sites.net/Electronics/Pic/Pic.html
      > >
      > > I added a voltmeter mode where the 5 analog inputs of the PIC are sampled and displayed on the screen.  I also implemented run length encoding for transferring the samples in order to get the update rate a bit faster over the ~10Kbyte/sec serial port.  The PC side software can cleanly update the PIC firmware so as new versions are available, the changes will not require pulling the part off the board.
      > >
      > > Let me know if you find problems.  It seems to work well debugging 1802 based systems.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic