7225Re: [cosmacelf] Cheap ($10) logic analyzer ready to be built

  • John Porubek
    Dec 5, 2010
      Ted,

      First, great to see your website back on the air! Thanks for sharing
      all your interesting projects.

      I'm very interested in your cheap logic analyzer (and in the 1802
      clone). I know very little about PICs as I'm more into the MSP430
      family. That's where my limited budget for development tools goes. So:

      1) Do you have any plans to make a PIC chip available preprogrammed
      with the logic analyzer firmware? From what I understand, I could then
      program upgrades through the serial port.

      2) Or, if I bought the proper chip and sent it to you, could you
      program it with the firmware?

      3) Or, failing those alternatives, what is the rock-bottom cheapest
      way to program a PIC? I'm looking for MSP430 LaunchPad cheap ($4.30)
      or, at most, EZ430 cheap ($20). I did a quick check of PICkit 2 and
      PICkit 3 pricing, and that's more than I can justify spending for a
      processor family I probably won't be doing any development with.

      Thanks,

      --John

      On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM, ted_rossin <ted_rossin@...> wrote:

      > I finished up my first version of the PIC 18F2620 cheap logic analyzer (about $10) which is capable of taking 3936 samples at a 5M sample/second rate (200ns/sample).  You can find the new project here:
      >
      > http://www.tedrossin.0sites.net/Electronics/Pic/Pic.html
      >
      > I added a voltmeter mode where the 5 analog inputs of the PIC are sampled and displayed on the screen.  I also implemented run length encoding for transferring the samples in order to get the update rate a bit faster over the ~10Kbyte/sec serial port.  The PC side software can cleanly update the PIC firmware so as new versions are available, the changes will not require pulling the part off the board.
      >
      > Let me know if you find problems.  It seems to work well debugging 1802 based systems.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic