7117Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Something cool from iFixIt...

  • Mark Graybill
    Sep 1, 2010
      Well, IMO PCWorld has never been much of a magazine. They may still be in
      business, but that's about all you can say for them. They've spent the past
      20-some years teaching computer users to be helpless, allow the companies
      they buy from to abuse their trust and their time, to be locked out of their
      own computers for their own good, and to judge the quality of software on
      the basis of how many menu items there are.

      The Studio II was a far better video game than PCWorld has ever been a
      computing magazine, I'd say. :)

      I spend plenty of time in class getting kids out of the PCWorld mindset. We
      get =into= the computers.

      Machine language is part of the "computer applications" class I teach. We
      use an Elf emulator in class, and we program it with the virtual toggle
      switches, starting with the classic 7A 7B 30 00. The web emulation runs slow
      enough that we can see it blink, it works out really well. Even my 10 year
      old students have _no_ problem with it.

      The Studio II is a bit of a closed box, but what I couldn't do with a
      classroom full of VIPs and CHIP-8! :D

      -Mark