6303Re: 1802 Emulations

  • cwardell2000
    Jan 2, 2010
      J.C.

      The propeller is a very novel device, I'm not sure how well that will translate into any commercial success, but it does seem suited to emulating an 1802 based system. The 8 cogs running at 20Mips each seems really powerful at first glance, but the latency in communicating between the cogs and the need to bit-bang serial, spi, and i2c protocols takes some of the shine off really fast for many possible applications. An immediate example is that I'd like to allow for expanding the memory available for the 1802 emulator using SPI 32kb rams, but the need to bit-bang the SPI protocol makes it too slow to support emulating the elf at speeds high enough to support 1861 video emulation. The most pragmatic way to add RAM would be to use parallel interface SRAMS and a set of address latches which would use at least 12 of the 28 available I/O pins. I suppose I could create an SPI interface with an external shift register and a little support logic, but that will likely use just as many pins.

      Those things being said, I'm not aware of any other MCU or FPGA solution that has the potential to emulate and 1802 with 1861/1862 video and somewhere between 16 to 32kb of available ram in a two chip (counting the eeprom used by the prop) solution for a chipset price of around $10.00. Of course the world isn't waiting to buy thousands of 1802 emulators, so this isn't going to drive commercial success for the prop.

      As far as the the Propeller Education Kit, I think it's a really good value, but if you hava a nice breadboard and a nicely stocked part drawer you may opt for just buying the prop chip, crystal, eeprom, and a "prop plug" programming tool as the book is downloadable as a pdf.

      Chris Wardell