5664Re: creating a cosmacelf simulator in C

  • Andrew Wasson
    Oct 2, 2008
      Great articles Matt!
      I have a partial TTL CPU on my bench (temporarily in storage due to
      renovations) and it is really easy to draw parallels in the process of
      creating an emulator and creating registers, data bus, instruction
      bus, etc... out of gates.

      A good jump start on writing an 1802 processor would be in having a
      look at the one that was built in JavaScript: http://www.cosmac.szyc.org/

      And yes there is a fellow on this board who built an 1802 in ASM for a
      Pic Microcontroller.

      Andrew

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Mikolay <mikolaym@...> wrote:

      > You should start by finding the most detailed documentation on the
      1802 processor and the COSMAC ELF that you can find. I wrote an
      article about the rest. You can find it at
      http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/03/how_to_code_a_v.html
      and
      http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/03/how_to_code_a_v_1.html.

      > Good luck!
      > ~Matt

      the web. I dont have a Real Cosmac Elf yet(Have digital ones though).

      > Lately, I have been thinking about writing up my own code (in C) to
      simulate the Cosmac elf. I dont expect this project to compete with
      the ones already available, just something with which I can undertand
      more about the 1802 itself and improve and exercise my own (rather
      limited) knowledge of C.

      > Can somebody give some suggestions as to how and where I can/should
      start?

      > Also, another idea rolling in my mind is, Would it be possible to
      build a replica Cosmac Elf based on a PIC or has anyone already done this?