550Re: [cosmacelf] PC as terminal

    Jan 1, 2003
      cdp1861 wrote:
      > Could we use a PC as terminal.

      Yes, that works pretty well. I've used the RS-232 port on my PC with the
      old Procomm program to serve as a terminal for my 1802 systems many
      times.

      > Do today's serial ports also use a voltage the Elf can recognize
      > correctly?

      The good ones do. But like all things built cheap, some PCs cheat on the
      RS-232 standards to save money. I've had laptops that only deliver +/5v
      on their RS-232 lines, and that won't work with substandard RS-232 level
      signals from sending devices, either.
      --
      Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
      814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering