5158Re: [cosmacelf] Is there a Hex Keypad standard?

  • Steve Valin
    Feb 1, 2007
      Ted,

      Quest and Netronics followed the PopTronics article by
      using a 74C922/923 keyboard encoder, along with a set
      of latches (74C173 or similar). The 74C923 encodes a
      keyboard press, has built in debounce, and presents
      the hex result on 4 or 5 lines, along with a strobe
      signal. The strobe is used to latch the previous
      value to give 8 bits. These two parts are isolated
      from the data bus via 4016 switches. The keyboard
      encoder is getting hard to find, but Jameco still
      sells them.

      The Elf II schematics can be found here:
      http://www.sbrune.com/COSMAC/ELF_II.pdf

      -steve

      http://www.geocities.com/ted_rossin/Electronics/RCA/RCA.html

      > Click on the picture for a larger view.
      >
      > My keypad is getting flakey and I'm thinking about a
      > redesign and
      > thought that if there is a standard then I should
      > adhere to that.
      > The following is a description of how my current
      > keypad behaves.
      >
      > My keypad drives the INPUT switch after every 2nd
      > key press. This
      > also drives /EF4 and /DMA_IN low and drives 8-bit
      > data onto the data
      > bus in response to the ELF doing a Port 4 read. I
      > think the INPUT
      > to /EF4 and /DMA_IN and port 4 read is standard ELF
      > behavior when
      > the machine is in the LOAD state.
      >
      > I also have my keypad drive /EF3 low when any key is
      > pressed
      > and /EF4 low when the LOAD button is pressed. I
      > have a toggle
      > switch that selects between the LOAD button and the
      > auto-load on
      > every 2nd key press.
      >
      > This is my main user interface. Basically, I can
      > look for EF3
      > active and then read port 4 to see which key is
      > pressed under
      > program control or use the thing in auto-load mode
      > to load programs
      > starting at location zero. The later is how I jump
      > to my monitor
      > code that is held in ROM at location 0xf000.
      >
      > The keypad also has 8 LEDs connected to PORT 4 as I
      > could not afford
      > the HP hex displays back then.

      Need Mail bonding?