14582Re: [cosmacelf] OT: The Most Minimal Homebrew Computer [feedly]

  • Mark Graybill
    Dec 7, 2013

      I've still got a VT-102. It's hooked up to my Ampro Little Board Plus. A great terminal for a great little system.

      http://saundby.com/electronics/AmproLB/

      The old pics have a different terminal, the VT-102 got reassigned after an evening of coding on the Ampro with the first terminal. The VT-102's display is much sharper.

      Mark, W8BIT

      On Dec 6, 2013 5:11 PM, <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

      I remember the VT-220.  I didn't like it as much as the VT-101.  I thought the keyboard was too thin and cheap.  I bet if you dropped a VT-101, it would have dented the floor instead of break... just kidding.

      I think I remember seeing the screen slowing down, but I always thought that was from the host... but now that you mention it, I can believe it.  I'm learning about the 4004 processor, and I think the 8048 was perhaps a step above the 4004.  But it explains the interfacing needed to go to a 8243 chip. I think that's the chip that has four 4-bit ports, or something like that.  It would be a very cool chip for 1974 but by 1976 it would have been a poor chip to choose.

      I guess, somewhere, the 8048 chip got so cheap, it made sense to use them in the PC Keyboards.

      Oh, I remember this series had a set of Slave chips that were also programmable, the 8041. or 8741 eprom version.

      I should go look through those old data books... I'm sure to discover the reason we forget such chips.

    • Show all 60 messages in this topic